Will the AFX ULTRA replace these pedals?

JustinAiken

Inspired
Getting rid of most of my pedals to buy for it, but I'm going to have one ordered by the end of the day... Wondering if it can replace these pedals?

WHAMMY: I know that it does pitch-shifting, how does it compare to the Digitech Whammy? Most of the time I use the octave up or 2x octave up setting... I never use the harmonies, just the shifting

Boss PS-5: This I use for Iron Maiden harmonies... how does the AFX compare?

BOSS LOOP STATION: I know the Ultra has a looper, but how does it compare to a dedicated RC-20? Is it easy to use the looper with a MIDI board (leaning towards the GCP, GC, or MIDI-MATE now)? Save loops? Cool backwards stuff?

BOSS RE-20 SPACE ECHO: So many unique tones out of this! And it makes the pedal board look cool!!

And I know I'm keeping my Analogman King of Tone and Keeley 4-knob...

Happily sold/selling lots of stock boss stomp boxes, crappy wahs, and Keeley-modded Boss dirts, which I liked, but not as much as some of the tones I've heard out of the AFX...

I would keep digitech whammy, not because AxeFx has bad whammy but because you'll need another expression
pedal to add to your arsenal, just thinking wallet.
As for harmonies, looper and echo, AxeFx has it all, even better imo.

The ultra is a versatile unit but it can't replace your RC-20 when it comes to looping functionality. "Looping" on the ultra is done by using the delay block and you need to cleverly design your preset(s) to accommodate this "loop delay" - especially if you want to change presets while your loop is playing. Overdubbing a playing loop and playing a loop in reverse are possible. Unlike a dedicated loop station, loop quantization and "saving" phrases do not exist on the Axe-Fx.

I had a PS5 and a Whammy (until recently) and they are poor next to the pitch shifting of the Axe FX IMO.

teejay said:
I had a PS5 and a Whammy (until recently) and they are poor next to the pitch shifting of the Axe FX IMO.

agreed, at least the whammy IV

One expression pedal can do for volume, whammy, and other effects. Plus you don't have to deal with the tone suck of the whammy IV.

I agree with what has been said about the loop. If you have a looper and use it a lot, I would keep it. The Axe-fx is limited in that area.

It can do the space echo thing quite well.

JustinAiken said:
Okay thanks guys, I think I'll keep the looper then, and get rid of the echo, whammy, and PS-5. :)

I would hold off selling anything you trying to copy if you can. It is much easier to copy the pedals if you can A/B them.

Yeah, I'd definitely keep the looper. As a matter of fact, I bought an RC20XL after I bought my Ultra because I wanted a better featured looper. I just run the AxeFx 1/4" into one of the RC20Xl inputs, then from the looper to my FRFR monitor (RCF ART 322A). I run my edrum kit (Roland TD-9SX) into the other input on the RC20XL. Makes for some fun solo jam sessions.

Back
Top Bottom