Will the A7X fix my problems with LSR305?

kocher

Inspired
I currently own a pair own JBL LSR305. The room I have them set up is quite small, little crowed, not treated and not really treatable. I have the monitors on stands on my desk, but they have the be very close to the wall. Therefore the 305s become boomy quite easily, especially with palm mutes due to the vent on the back. I enganged the low cut on the monitors but it's still not great. There is not much I can do to change the room or position of the monitors.

The mids are also very unsatisfying, lacking and kinda scooped, especially in lower volumes, which I am most of the times.

The A7X seem to be a popular choice around here so I am considering getting a pair.

Will the A7X work better in my situation?
Thanks for your input.

I just upgraded to A7Xs and I really like how much more detail there is, which really translates well to guitar. But I tried to use them in a small room and couldn't stand the boominess, even at low volume. The weird thing was if I sat back in an equilateral triangle like you're supposed to the boominess wasn't noticeable, but it was annoying at virtually every other position. There isn't enough room to sit that far enough back when I'm working at the desk, however, so it wouldn't work.

The Adams have bass and treble settings on the back so you may be able to configure something that works, but for me I had to move them into the living room. They sound so much better in a big open room. To me the JBLs work better in the small room, but I have the bass response turned down.

The A5X would probably be a better option in a small room. You might also consider the Eves. I just discovered they can be ordered from Thomann UK for almost half the price they sell for in the US. I thought about getting a pair to try out because the A7Xs seemed a bit harsh at first, but now I'm used to them.

I'm not sure speakers are the right solution. I would consider putting the money into a UMIK-1/2 measurement microphone and see what you're actually getting at the listening position. You can use that data to either feed a software EQ on your PC, or buy a MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced and run hardware DSP EQ.

Back
Top Bottom