Will one of these get rid of hum, noise or buzz?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
Sometimes when I use the 1/4" Output 1 or 2 I get hum, noise or buzz. I never know what I'm going to connect to at gigs and many venues have bad power. If I use the XLR Output 1, I usually don't have issues but if I do, I flip the XLR Ground Lift and that resolves the issue. Sometimes I go direct to FOH through the XLR Output 1 but then use 1/4" Output 2 to my Yamaha DXR12 FRFR active speakers but I usually get noise through them.

Will any of the devices below resolve hum, noise or buzz issues? I don't know what the difference is between an Isolator and DI Box.

The hum eliminator, maybe... the DIs, probably not.
The noise you are referencing is usually caused by crappy venue power, and ground loops... that coupled with amp gain is often a challenge to remove. Start by making sure the axe and your monitor power are from the same source and that it is grounded properly.
User one of those $5 testers you can get from home depot or Wal-Mart to check for bad power. I've carried one for yrs.

Okay, basicly a DI box does nothing but removing all cable interference (= cable acting like an antenna) out of the equation.
So if your cables are short and your hum is not caused by interference, a DI box won't fix the problem.

And isolation transformer on the other hand should eliminate all issues with ground loops and crappy power, as it physically decouples your signal from the outlet.
If you happen to deal with 60hz hum frequently, it might be a good investment.
However, all your solutions are for audio cables... if you want to invest in an isolation transformer, why not decouple your entire system and use one for power supply?

But before you buy anything, make sure the hum is not caused by your pickups picking up EMI!

To rule that out, try different guitars and use one with humbucker pickups.

However, all your solutions are for audio cables... if you want to invest in an isolation transformer, why not decouple your entire system and use one for power supply?

Second that, good suggestion Zwieb. I would look at a higher end Furman or other power conditioner to isolate everything in your mix. I had to do this at my current house because of some dirty power/poor grounding and it helps significantly. Also, try another guitar as well, can't tell you how many times that has caused some user's headaches especially if there are any customizations.

Okay, basicly a DI box does nothing but removing all cable interference (= cable acting like an antenna) out of the equation.
So if your cables are short and your hum is not caused by interference, a DI box won't fix the problem.

And isolation transformer on the other hand should eliminate all issues with ground loops and crappy power, as it physically decouples your signal from the outlet.
If you happen to deal with 60hz hum frequently, it might be a good investment.

But before you buy anything, make sure the hum is not caused by your pickups picking up EMI!

To rule that out, try different guitars and use one with humbucker pickups.

The main issue I'm having is when I use the Output 2 1/4" to my Yamaha DXR12 FRFR active speakers. I sometimes get radio stations coming through and other noises and hums but I don't usually have issues when I use Output 1 XLR to my Yamaha DXR12 FRFR active speakers but if I do, I just flip the XLR Ground Lift switch to fix it.

Does a DI Box have an isolation transformer?

I was thinking about trying Humbuster cables but I don't really want to spend more $ on cables that might not work.

hey buddy long time no see. Humbusters might be the ticket. I have been using Mogami with fantastic results. But if the XLRs are a lot quieter...you are dealing with RFI. Worth a look for sure. Aren't humbusters just TRS 1/4?

What you are describing are two completely different problems.

If the noise goes away when using the XLR outs, then you deal with RFI. In this case, a DI box can indeed solve the issue. But chances are getting a higher quality cable will also do the trick.
That you can even hear a radio station bleeding through is weird. You don't use a speaker cable, do you?

If the noise goes away when you use XLR ground lift, you have a grounding issue. This requires an isolation transformer (or a DI box with ground lift) ... but ground lift is more of a band-aid solution. It should not be used as the default for you, as it is a security risk.

Last edited:
I bought an ART DUALZDirect - Dual Professional Passive Direct Box and it resolved my noise issues but it cut my volume in half :eek: I don't have any of the pads or filters enabled. Anyone else ever have this issue?

I bought an ART DUALZDirect - Dual Professional Passive Direct Box and it resolved my noise issues but it cut my volume in half :eek: I don't have any of the pads or filters enabled. Anyone else ever have this issue?
Passive DI boxes always reduce the volume (because physics!). Hence why you use passive DI only for powered instruments. For passive instruments, use an active DI box.

Reactions: kgk
Do you run AC mains from the same circuit for the Fractal and the speakers?

I run 1/4" unbalanced from the XL+ to an Atomic CLR and never have an issue. But I am running the XL+ and the CLR from the same mains circuit.

Do you run AC mains from the same circuit for the Fractal and the speakers?

I run 1/4" unbalanced from the XL+ to an Atomic CLR and never have an issue. But I am running the XL+ and the CLR from the same mains circuit.

I connect everything to my Furman PL-PLUS Series II power conditioner.

I connect everything to my Furman PL-PLUS Series II power conditioner.

Is it a surge protector or voltage regulator?

I had an issue similar to this with a Furman voltage regulator. As a test use a common outlet strip for everything and bypass the Furman.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I'm going to try using the opposite Outputs going to FOH and my FRFR cabs.

Since the passive DI Box lowers my volume, I'm going to connect Output 2 unbalanced to my DI Box and then balanced XLR to FOH because they usually want me to pad the signal anyways.

I'm going to connect Output 1 balanced XLR to my FRFR cabs, so I won't lose any volume. This will also allow me to play music from my PC through them when I connect the USB cable to the Axe-Fx II and use it as a sound card.

I sometimes get noise when the USB cable is connected but I don't use my PC live, so everything will hopefully be noise free.

I probably won't be playing any shows for the next couple months to test this out because our band doesn't like playing shows when it's snowing, so we'll be working on writing and recording.

Thanks again everyone for all the help with this!

Back
Top Bottom