Will I still be able to use my MFC-101 with the Axe-Fx 3

The new footswitches are cool but I like the layout of the MFC-101 and I'm used to it (I do 5 scenes and 10 on/off effects on mine). Will the MFC-101 be compatible with the 3? :)

I understand that you can use it as a generic MIDI controller, but it won’t show preset names and won’t reflect effect state anymore. Unless the MFC itself is updated to support the III.

With a MFC-101 mk3:
Besides requiring an external power supply, how will the experience of using MFC-101 mk3 differ when connecting via MIDI cables rather than FasLink on the II? Will all the preset names and block states be updated the same as with FasLink? Is it just a slower connection? Also, are there different types of MIDI cables / connections that will change the experience/performance? I was looking at the MFC page on wiki and there is mention of 7-pin MIDI being able to supply phantom power?

What will be the downsides of using MFC-101mk3 with AXE3 (via MIDI) as compared to its current functionality with AXE2? Thanks to anyone with specifics... I really like my MFC.

You won’t see preset names, the switches won’t reflect effect states, and there’s no powering it with the midi cable.

You won’t see preset names, the switches won’t reflect effect states, and there’s no powering it with the midi cable.
Got it... thanks for the clarification. Looks like will have to get a new floorboard, unless Fractal creates some sort of FASLINK2 to FASLINK1 adapter solution.

None of these would help.

As a matter of fact, they can make advanced integration via MIDI cables, that would require an MFC update.

An adapter would help with power though.
That kinda sucks. Oh well. I'm not gonna be getting any of this new stuff for a few years anyway.

I hope Fractal is gonna update MFC so it works properly via MIDI cable - showing preset names, ia switches state, etc...i can't wait for AXE III, but I would really want to keep my MFC mark 3 :)

I think Fractal has a slight financial incentive to have folks buy the new controllers along with the new III, so might not see any comparability work arounds come to light....

I think Fractal has a slight financial incentive to have folks buy the new controllers along with the new III, so might not see any comparability work arounds come to light....

Except they don’t even sell the new ones. And who knows when they will do.

If the Axe-Fx III did work with the MFC, I’d be all up in it, but as it clearly doesn’t, that represents a huge additional outlay for a new foot controller too. So that kicks a potential purchase way into the long grass.
Not to say I won’t still get saving, but all the same, it’s good to know that the improvement in sound quality is marginal.

I was initially excited for the release of the III but the more I read into the lack of MFC-101 FASlink capability leaves me a little deflated. This would be a deal breaker if I had to buy all new switching. I use my II for live use most of the time and I need preset names and X/Y states on the controller. For now I'm completely happy with my II and am no longer GAS'ing for a III.

Except they don’t even sell the new ones. And who knows when they will do.
they don't even sell the III yet, technically speaking. it all just got announced 11 hours ago. let's give some time for the info to come out as it can.

Back
Top Bottom