Will get an AxeFX if I can achieve this tone. Can the box do this?

Hey, don't mind about the people ganging up on you. If you want a specific sound then that's what you want. I've been there (sometimes I'm still there...).

Anyway, is there any way that you can provide a dry, guitar only, high quality clip of you playing from say 0:00 - 0:40? I don't have EMG pickups, nor do I have the patience at the moment to learn the riff and play it cleanly. But I could try to match it. With your dry signal and AxeFX I'm sure we can come up with something.

By the way, I don't hear anything in the song that makes me think the Axe can't do it. There are some clips that I know are not easy to reproduce but this isn't one of them. Also, the cool thing about the AxeFX is that there are a lot of tools to make it sound "post-processed". Other units may do a great job at the core sound but then fall short on post processing.

The main thing you're gonna run into is that the Axe doesn't have the Rivera Knucklehead modeled. So you're going to have to compromise on some level.

I'd be tempted to try one of the 5150's, into an IR with K100 speakers. Which I believe is what Mick Thompson uses.

in my experience, anytime someone wants an exact specific tone, they are usually disappointed by the results with any gear. even the same physical amp and guitar. ask a ton of petrucci fans who have JP6s and a real Mark IV.

That’s right. And very often it could be paraphrased as: “If I buy an Ibanez JS2450, will my playing be like Satch?” (Replace JS2450 for any other custom guitar)

in my experience, anytime someone wants an exact specific tone, they are usually disappointed by the results with any gear. even the same physical amp and guitar. ask a ton of petrucci fans who have JP6s and a real Mark IV.

This. Definitely. You will never be happy if you're not allowing any margin of imperfection in slight difference of tone, which given that you're not even the same person as who originally recorded it means that is out the door anyway. On top of that there is also ear-fatigue where you will be really happy with your tone for a time, and then your ears adjust differently and you'll notice some ugly frequencies you hadn't before. Its a vicious cycle. Emulate it more than trying to perfectly recreate it.

Settle down folks.

To the OP. To give you a bit of history: There has been a long list of folks who post once with 'betcha can't nail <insert tone here>. There is some fatigue there, so you'll have to understand if people on the forum do not feel the need to 'prove' anything. Or more to the point, spend an hour in a 'sales' mode for someone who may or may not like the recording that's produced.

Bottom line is there is a plethora of clips, youtube, and professional recordings out there from the Axe FX. We have found that you are only limited by your ability to manipulate the tools you have in front of you. The sheer clip variety of what is readily available should be enough to convince you that this is a great product, but again, it will be up to YOU to realize it's potential. We on the forum are here to help, but don't exist to make a sales pitch.

Good luck, and hope to have you join the fold (or drink the kool aide depending on which side of the argument you hear!)

R

What EP said.Oh, and there is a 15 day trial/return period. You can get one, and if it doesn't deliver, you're not obligated to keep it. It's always going to be best for you to hear it with your guitar, amp, fingers.

The player you're listening to probably spent years of his time, and a lot of studio cash, getting those tones. It'll probably take a little work for you to get it the way you want to hear it. You should give it a shot, or just buy a Knucklehead. Either way, chase some sounds you like.

Tone Matches work for laying down recorded tracks, but I really really really don't like anything about them for just playing around.

I selected one of my high gain patches, tuned down to 'b' to hear what I could get. This is not me trying to get Slipknot tone in any way...its the wrong guitar, wrong pickups, wrong amp model, wrong cabinet, and wrong speakers. I'm also quite sure I didn't play it right either. Strings are also dead on this guitar and didn't sound so good in drop b. I also used headphones for it, so I don't know how well it would even sound on other sources. Enough with the excuses though so here is a sample of it.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/before i forget.mp3?_subject_uid=21012036&w=AAAUW07WjjD0F5hvOseDkwEl-aShgQySYavyZM9IlSrABQ

It doesn't have the same amount of mids, but using a different cabinet impulse would get you closer to their tone.

Thanks buddy! Much apprechiated! DO I have to sign up for dropbox? I get a "403 Error" when klicking on your provided link.

Hey, don't mind about the people ganging up on you. If you want a specific sound then that's what you want. I've been there (sometimes I'm still there...).

Anyway, is there any way that you can provide a dry, guitar only, high quality clip of you playing from say 0:00 - 0:40? I don't have EMG pickups, nor do I have the patience at the moment to learn the riff and play it cleanly. But I could try to match it. With your dry signal and AxeFX I'm sure we can come up with something.

By the way, I don't hear anything in the song that makes me think the Axe can't do it. There are some clips that I know are not easy to reproduce but this isn't one of them. Also, the cool thing about the AxeFX is that there are a lot of tools to make it sound "post-processed". Other units may do a great job at the core sound but then fall short on post processing.

Of course I can provide the DI-signal. Here it is:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByPuxrG_tZcyaGZIbzhqYldBbEk

Hope you can work with this...

Hrmm....I know I put it in my public folder so I don't know why the link didn't work for you. Forum just got updated and I couldn't figure out how to embed my dropbox file either.

I found some DI tracks as well as midi for the song so I actually have a cover of the song pretty much done as I thought it would be fun. Check back within the next day or so and I'll link it here from Soundcloud this time.

Hrmm....I know I put it in my public folder so I don't know why the link didn't work for you. Forum just got updated and I couldn't figure out how to embed my dropbox file either.

I found some DI tracks as well as midi for the song so I actually have a cover of the song pretty much done as I thought it would be fun. Check back within the next day or so and I'll link it here from Soundcloud this time.
This is so awesome of you! Thanks buddy!

I match EQ-IR'd this tone back in the Axe-Fx Ultra days and I got it pretty much identical even back then. I think you'll be just fine with the Axe-Fx II.

FYI the intro tone is not the same tone they used on the rest of the song and they use a different guitar sound on the left and right sides in that song.

Hey there,

This is my first post. I'm currently thinking of buying an AxeFX. The thing is that I'm still not absolutely convinced that digital modelers can get me the tone I'm longing for since 2004 (see below).

I'D LIKE TO CHALLENGE THE COMMUNITY TO MAKE AN ACCURATE COVER OF THIS TONE!

Show me the Axe FX can achieve this tone and please prove it by posting the result clip here in this thread.

I keep hearing statements from AxeFX users that G3 modeling can replicate the tone of a tube amp equally good or even better than the originals.

Well, I tried the Kemper amp and it was way off. I couldn't get my beloved tone (see below) at all. Not even close. Some other tones were pretty close but overall the KPA lacked some kind of push in the lower mids. The profiles sounded and felt kinda "weaker" than the original amps. Somehow they lacked a certain character, if that makes any sense. I love getting that sweet spot between a perfect pre-amp distortion and poweramp saturation. I wasn't able to get those sweet spots with the KPA.

Now, I know this tone I'm looking for is heavily post produced. Of course it is! But the detail in the transients (I'm looking for) is something you can't add with post production imo. To make a long story short:

Can the axe do this amp tone in the intro of "Before I Forget" by Slipknot:

I believe Mick Thomson uses a BC Rich with an EMG 81 played through a Rivera Knucklehead. Who knows, what he really used.

If the Axe FX can get this tone, I'm in.

Thank you very very much in advance. Whoever can get this tone with his Axe FX will be my personal hero for the rest of my life!

EDIT: To all those who for whatever reason are feeling offended by this (how is that even possible?) a little clarification:

This is not a post where I'm trying to prove the AxeFX cannot match up against a real amp or whatever. I'm trying to find out, if it's the right thing to do to spend 3.000 bucks on an amp sim. I certainly have no interest at all to prove the Axe FX community wrong. I am asking the community to prove to me that the AxeFX is the cure to my need for the perfect tone.

ToneAddict

Of course it can.

Btw - that's one of my favorite Slipknpt tunes.

I'd say you can nail pretty much any time on the Axe! But these are studio recordings with layer upon layer of guitar tracks and EQ'd like crazy. But like I said the Axe can nail or get very close to any sound. Plus you have to remember if someone puts up a preset here with them saying this is what you need for that sound it will almost definitely sound different on your gear with you playing it. Good luck.

I agree.

If you can get your head around the difference between solo tracking / playing live vs. a professionally mixed and mastered multi-track recording, then the expectations are set better.

A lot of hard work an expertise goes into making a good record. You can't realistically expect the same results without putting in a comparable amount of hard work on your own stuff.

Alright, so I have the cover here I made of the song. I didn't work very hard on this, and if I was being more serious with it I'd go over a number of things especially the drums. The song came quad-tracked for the entire thing, which I really personally don't like very much, so I was busying cutting all that nonsense out when I decided to leave it in during the chorus lines and such...that way I didn't have to resort to automating to give it a bigger feel. The whole thing was done on headphones so don't know how this is going to sound on other sources really, sorry for that.

And an instrumental version so you can hopefully hear a bit more of the guitars.

Tone is conjuncture of GUITAR(7STRING , PICK-UPS ,...) ,AxeFx , Ir's, pick-finger, playing technique , and other . If one of theses variables change , tone change too ...

Back
Top Bottom