Will get an AxeFX if I can achieve this tone. Can the box do this?

Hey there,

This is my first post. I'm currently thinking of buying an AxeFX. The thing is that I'm still not absolutely convinced that digital modelers can get me the tone I'm longing for since 2004 (see below).

I'D LIKE TO CHALLENGE THE COMMUNITY TO MAKE AN ACCURATE COVER OF THIS TONE!

Show me the Axe FX can achieve this tone and please prove it by posting the result clip here in this thread.

I keep hearing statements from AxeFX users that G3 modeling can replicate the tone of a tube amp equally good or even better than the originals.

Well, I tried the Kemper amp and it was way off. I couldn't get my beloved tone (see below) at all. Not even close. Some other tones were pretty close but overall the KPA lacked some kind of push in the lower mids. The profiles sounded and felt kinda "weaker" than the original amps. Somehow they lacked a certain character, if that makes any sense. I love getting that sweet spot between a perfect pre-amp distortion and poweramp saturation. I wasn't able to get those sweet spots with the KPA.

Now, I know this tone I'm looking for is heavily post produced. Of course it is! But the detail in the transients (I'm looking for) is something you can't add with post production imo. To make a long story short:

Can the axe do this amp tone in the intro of "Before I Forget" by Slipknot:

I believe Mick Thomson uses a BC Rich with an EMG 81 played through a Rivera Knucklehead. Who knows, what he really used.

If the Axe FX can get this tone, I'm in.

Thank you very very much in advance. Whoever can get this tone with his Axe FX will be my personal hero for the rest of my life!

EDIT: To all those who for whatever reason are feeling offended by this (how is that even possible?) a little clarification:

This is not a post where I'm trying to prove the AxeFX cannot match up against a real amp or whatever. I'm trying to find out, if it's the right thing to do to spend 3.000 bucks on an amp sim. I certainly have no interest at all to prove the Axe FX community wrong. I am asking the community to prove to me that the AxeFX is the cure to my need for the perfect tone.

ToneAddict

Last edited:
Pretty ballsy for your 1st post on the form to basically be ....

I don't believe you, so prove me wrong ... !

It's not my style of music, but search the forum you'll find Djent clips galore.

Good Luck, hope you find what you're looking for.

Achieving the tone shouldn't be a problem.

The thing you need to be aware of is having the knowledge to produce to the tones you want, and knowing the amps well enough to get both the tone and feel you want out of them. If your short on the knowledge of the amp model your using its going to be a steep and frustrating learning curve.

I would suggest you find someone close that has an axe if thats possible. Then see if its something you can work with. Helps too cause someone else to give you some guidance when first playing with one is huge.

Pretty ballsy for your 1st post on the form to basically be ....

I don't believe you, so prove me wrong ... !

It's not my style of music, but search the forum you'll find Djent clips galore.

Good Luck, hope you find what you're looking for.

What a warm welcome!

You seem to miss my point. I am not claiming anything and I certainly do not want to get proven wrong. I just want a proof the axe fx can get me what was looking for for the last ten years.

But thank you anyway!

Achieving the tone shouldn't be a problem.

The thing you need to be aware of is having the knowledge to produce to the tones you want, and knowing the amps well enough to get both the tone and feel you want out of them. If your short on the knowledge of the amp model your using its going to be a steep and frustrating learning curve.

I would suggest you find someone close that has an axe if thats possible. Then see if its something you can work with. Helps too cause someone else to give you some guidance when first playing with one is huge.
Exactly true. When I wrote "Easily" my comment is aimed at the question of "Can the AXE-FX achieve this tone." The answer is in fact "Easily".
I think the AXE-FX might even ask "Is that all you got"
The OP's challenge/question was "if the AXE-FX can achieve this tone." not if he can.

I don't know Slipknot very well at all, but this style of growly high gain riffs is my bread and butter. Tone "chasing" is now a thing of the past, and tone creating is what now takes place. There's great things to be said about the Kemper profiler, but for me it only seemed for people who already owned whole teams of amps and cabs, and I always liked being minimal. Axe-Fx II allows me to create whole amp "profiles" and create tones similar to any band in what seems to me like almost unlimited potential. With Quantum came the newest and highest level in quality of touch sensitivity, but truth be told it has since I've owned one always felt so real that I never thought of it as being digital...it just sounds like my amp. Afterwards I bought my own custom cabinet to pair with the Axe-Fx II so I don't have to rely on impulses for jamming any longer, and its just been better than I could have ever hoped for. Friends and guitar gear heads who scoffed and laughed at me for using "nasty digital" hear my tone through my cab, and immediately shut their mouths. Haven't heard a single negative thing from them since and now all they say is "please can I borrow this to play next weekend."

I'd go ahead and have fun with your challenge because creating tones is always very satisfying, but a member around here, Mikko Logren, has been sitting on some new Orange cabinet impulses which would probably be perfect for nailing Slipknot tone. I'm sure once the pack is released with the Orange cab it would be even easier for anyone else to get that tone more accurately as well, and really nail it.

EDIT: OR you could possibly take a listen to this band that uses Axe-Fx II's and made a Slipknot cover. I don't know if this nails it for you, but it was their take on it.

Last edited:
What a warm welcome!
And your debut post was kinda douchetastic. Dudes do occasionally show up with posts like yours and they all come off the same way. They think they're being cheeky and awesome, but it's really gone over like a wet fart in church. We'll let it slide.

This is a really bad approach to understanding how to make a modeler work for you. I'm not really surprised that the Kemper didn't work out.

Without having your guitar plugged in, and your playing style strumming the strings, there's no way to say that something that works for someone else (and thus produces an acceptable tone) will do the same for you. You're already mentioning things that are 100% not even part of listening to someone else play - feel, push, etc. That's got nothing to do with listing to someone else, that's about the interaction between your personal playing style and the amp.

You can tone match and use the same signal path and it'll be spot on. If a little clip over the internet will sell you on the unit - you're already sold, I bet. Get it, understand it.. if that doesn't work, well.. hey, they've got great resale value.

Before I "prove it" and have you buy the product, I would like to know what I get out of it ?

You get a great product, and Fractal sells another unit, both of which are great, but seems that I'd be spending my time working to sell you on the unit, and working for free is something I generally don't like to do.....

Tone Matches work for laying down recorded tracks, but I really really really don't like anything about them for just playing around.

I selected one of my high gain patches, tuned down to 'b' to hear what I could get. This is not me trying to get Slipknot tone in any way...its the wrong guitar, wrong pickups, wrong amp model, wrong cabinet, and wrong speakers. I'm also quite sure I didn't play it right either. Strings are also dead on this guitar and didn't sound so good in drop b. I also used headphones for it, so I don't know how well it would even sound on other sources. Enough with the excuses though so here is a sample of it.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Publ...AAUW07WjjD0F5hvOseDkwEl-aShgQySYavyZM9IlSrABQ

It doesn't have the same amount of mids, but using a different cabinet impulse would get you closer to their tone.

Lets put it down this way: spend your money on amp only, and still need to buy a cab and effects ( and you have to buy the exact amp you want to achieve the tone you're after), or get the axe fx, and just need to learn how to use the tools to get the sound you're after (whatever sound you're after). All around in the forum you can hear comments and all the samples of recorded exemples of people nailing exactly the tones of other famous artists, or just tones crafted by some individuals to be just amazing. The machine CAN do it. You just need to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom