• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Will FW 13 mess with my patches

jw3571

Inspired
How much will installing version 13 mess with my patches? Have others noticed they've had to tinker with their patches after installing?

smcrosby

Power User
The block parameters appear to be more tweak-able with FW13 and UltraRes IMHO.

EDIT: but FW 13 will mess with your head ... it will make you want to quit yer day job! ;)

Last edited:

Sixstring

Axe-Master
How much will installing version 13 mess with my patches? Have others noticed they've had to tinker with their patches after installing?
The release notes will let you know. Any major firmware update will noticeably change things. 13.x is part of 12.x beta so if you already have that loaded then it won't change things drastically.

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Great question because in my experience anything that changes the sound means that it's going to change the sound. :) But I've only got a few patches at the moment and every one of them just sounded better. I will say that I was out of town for almost all of the v12 hoopla so perhaps most of the modeling changes occurred in there and I'm just seeing it now.

So based on my limited experience so far I wouldn't expect much in terms of tweaking. Not to the degree that I've seen in the past anyway.

Then again if you are coming from like v5.07 or something than yeah; you may be starting over from scratch in some cases.

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
I suppose it depends on what firmware you're upgrading from. I fully expect to start from scratch, but I'm coming from v9.

Zwiebelchen

Fractal Fanatic
The change from 12 to 13 will probably not be noticable if you haven't used the Master volume much and always went with the default value.

If you used a higher Master volume setting than default, chances are your patch sounds better now. ;)

Roadrunner

Power User
I went from 10.x to 13.01 and few patches were completely changed, some not, some a little....
Basically a reset of the amp block (going to another and return) has solved the issue.

barhrecords

Axe-Master
I went from 10.x to 13.01 and few patches were completely changed, some not, some a little....
Basically a reset of the amp block (going to another and return) has solved the issue.
I like trying the Utility -> Presets -> Update all presets too. Even before I reset the amp block.

smcrosby

Power User
I like trying the Utility -> Presets -> Update all presets too. Even before I reset the amp block.
Wait ... why do both? Just trying to understand the mission - there is a FW update and you want to make sure all the improvements find their way into your presets - so you update them (per above) and reset the block too? Why is the latter desirable if you want to take advantage of prior tweaks to the amp block and not start from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarky

Axe-Master
"Will FW 13 mess with my patches"

yeah… it messed with mine…
they were awesome in fw12
now they're awesomer..

actually no… in fw13 without doing the whole UltraRes thing…?? it sounds exactly the same as fw12.04b to me…
so I lied… it was 12.04b that made everything awesomer

Last edited:

Xrocker

Power User
It will mess with them the same way that Homo Sapiens messed with the Neanderthals. It will make them go extinct.

api4u

Experienced
I spent most of the weekend going through patches, adjusting, touching things up. After trying the Ultra Rez patches, I immediately purchase the OH/Fractal cab mixes. It was a big improvement. I can't think of any real reason not to go for it - it improved things on every front, on my end. Quite frankly, I thought we were "there" - I didn't really see that there WAS much room for improvement. This update, and the new IR's do, in fact, sound much more detailed. I was almost excusively set up for hi-rez stereo in my patches before, but now I think maybe the Ultra Rez sounds better, even in mono.
At least in my home studio work, this FW and the IR's are great; I won't get to the full band scene for a couple of days, so we'll see how it goes then.
It doesn't cost anything to do the updates, unless you then have to get the UR cabs, like some of us did - why not give it a try? Nothing to loose.....

barhrecords

Axe-Master
Wait ... why do both? Just trying to understand the mission - there is a FW update and you want to make sure all the improvements find their way into your presets - so you update them (per above) and reset the block too? Why is the latter desirable if you want to take advantage of prior tweaks to the amp block and not start from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always do a Utility -> Reset and now a Utility -> Presets -> Update all presets on every firmware update. Recommended or not.

The Amp block reset I would not normally do now unless I thought something was amiss. E.g. a new downloaded preset did not sound like the tits.

Top Bottom