Will Fractal ever go this route? Ataras guitar auto tune

Nice. Good to see that 13-pin outputs get more and more love. I don't own any 13-pins yet, but I plan to retrofit one of my cheap guitars with one in the future. Maybe I'll give this a try then.

That's actually the only only thing I don't like. I don't like to install a GK pickup on my guitar. Also don't want to limit myself to have this thing on only one guitar. I prefer the new Boss technology where you don't need a midi pickup. I think that is the route to go for the next century for this kind of guitar synth and tuning stuff.

That's actually the only only thing I don't like. I don't like to install a GK pickup on my guitar. Also don't want to limit myself to have this thing on only one guitar. I prefer the new Boss technology where you don't need a midi pickup.
Huh? But that's the whole reason this works? There is no way to get clean string separation without a hex pickup.

Using a conventional magnetic with only one output would simply never sound good.

The only issue I see with this product is that their marketing is a bit flawed. "Autotune" is a word with lots of (negative) implications. They should have gone traditional and go with "guitar synth" imho.

True but I am hoping for some new and better developments for the future in the direction of the Boss SYB300 or the new EHX stuff where you don't need a pickup at all. Not sure if this ever will be possible for the alternate tunings and the autotune stuff. But at least for all other synthy stuff.

Also don't like it that this thing is so big. This means having to carry yet another big midi board. You will need lots of room on stage.

Last edited:
True but I am hoping for some new and better developments like the Boss SYB300 or the new EHX stuff where you don't need a pickup at all. Not sure if this ever will be possible for the alternate tunings and the autotune stuff. But at least for all other synthy stuff.
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Guitar synths have been around for decades and unlike amp modelling, they never really took off.
There are just some physical limitations you can not workaround with just clever code.
After all, once your pickup combines the signal of all strings into one output, you can only seperate them again with MANY compromises made.
The logical conclusion is always a hexaphonic pickup. No real way around that.

Fortunately, hex pickups get more and more popular, especially now with the mass produced Variax guitars. Makes me hope that more guitar manufacturers hop on the train in the future.

Fortunately, hex pickups get more and more popular, especially now with the mass produced Variax guitars. Makes me hope that more guitar manufacturers hop on the train in the future.

Yes let's hope for that. That still limits you to just that one guitar though. Also want to have that alternate tunings and other fun stuff on my acoustic and bass and so on.

What I find an interesting discussion is if Fractal will ever go that route. I think Fractal can run behind on the effect and synth stuff if they don't embrace this new kind of technology. There are so many things happening right now in effect land that I would like have in my Axe fx. But maybe that is not interesting enough for the majority of folks here and only for effect geeks like me? Maybe Fractal will specialize in the modelling stuff and let other manufacturers do the other fun stuff?

Which makes me wonder if anyone will ever make a wireless that would transmit and receive that hex signal (or usb or something other than mono).

Even with the $200 add on pack, it doesn't cover nearly the same ground as a Variax.

Modern Humbucker
California Single Coil
Acoustic
Nashville Single Coil
Mini Humbucker
P-90
SLO Custom HSH
Vintage Humbucker
Vintage Lipstick-tube
Bass
Japan Custom HSH

Huh? But that's the whole reason this works? There is no way to get clean string separation without a hex pickup.

Using a conventional magnetic with only one output would simply never sound good.

Jam Origin midi guitar is pretty amazing for what it does. A lot of people say its better than hardware solutions. I'm not sure about that but it is really, really good.

Even with the $200 add on pack, it doesn't cover nearly the same ground as a Variax.

Modern Humbucker
California Single Coil
Acoustic
Nashville Single Coil
Mini Humbucker
P-90
SLO Custom HSH
Vintage Humbucker
Vintage Lipstick-tube
Bass
Japan Custom HSH

But the variax doesn't have midi and auto tune and pitch shifting.
Also judging from that video the alt tunings and capo stuff sounds more realistic than on the variax. That sounds more pitch shifted to me on the variax.

I think they should make a 13 pin connector on next gen variax guitar. Would make them much more versatile.

me has one and I is very impressed.
I wish they would add midi conversion to both the floor unit and the internal unit

I have one also. I like it, but it's pretty big. I wish they had something in a smaller footprint.
I don't use my Variax anymore, the ATG-1 does everything better IMHO

How many of your own alternate tunings can be stored on the ATG? is it only one?

I have listened to the videos of the acoustic models. Sounds quite good I think, maybe the best I have heard so far. But you can still hear that it is not a real acoustic but a model. Maybe because of the thinner strings and lower action. It doesn't sound as full as a real acoustic to me. Same goes for the 12 string. But for live performance in a full band setting this is a very good solution.

Also to use auto tune for string bendings feels like cheating. What do you think?

Last edited:
I'll need to look into that triple play...at first glance it looks like it only goes into the computer though...couldn't put it into the front of my axe to quickly switch between it and the mag pickups during a song.

Back
Top Bottom