Will fractal consider using nutube technology in the future?

webe123

Inspired
I have not been on this board in awhile, apologies if this has already been discussed (I searched the boards but did not find this)....But the reason I ask, is because I looked at the new 1 lb Vox MV 50 guitar amp head that has this technology already in it and is a 50 watt head if it goes into a 4 ohm speaker cabinet. It sounds great on the video. Thinking of getting the clean one to pair with my Axe Fx II.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MV50Clean

For $199.00 each, I think this may be a good price with a chance for people to test out this new tube technology.

I was just wondering since Cliff is usually all about trying new technologies, if he may consider this in a future Axe Fx III maybe??

I do not know all of the technical details of this tube that is basically a cut down version of a 12AX7 from what I have heard......but it seems to sound decent. It was developed by Korg from what I gather.

The Vox MV 50 was Shown at NAMM and seems to be what may be ahead for vacum tube technology, but the nice thing about this is that you can pair it with things like the Axe FX without having the heat or maintaince issues associated with conventional tubes. There is a video on the page I gave "MV50 Series Features Overview" That kind of lets you hear them in action.

What are your thoughts on the new technology??

Here is what I could find on the Korg Nutube

http://korgnutube.com/en/

Here is the Frequently Asked Questions page for Nutube

http://korgnutube.com/en/faq/

Last edited:
not-sure-if-trolling-or-serious.jpg

Is there anything new here? Vox has been using a preamp time in their modeling amps for years. Just because it has a preamp tube does not automatically make it magically better.

Last edited:
I think the OP is asking a different question. He's not just asking if FAS would consider using tubes - he's asking if FAS would consider the newer tube technology (nutube, nanotube, whatever). My uneducated, ininformed guess is probably not, and I say that because of the following. The way I see it, tubes are a headache, but we all love he way they sound. Most forward thinking companies have gone the modeling route in an attempt to replicate the sound and feel, but using modern, maintenance free, solid state electronics. It looks like some companies (Korg, BluGuitar) have taken a different approach by trying to improve tube technology rather than emulate it - ie: still tubes, but improved to remove some of the headaches. I'm not sure I'd classify it as modeling, and to me it seems a bit contrary to the FAS mission. Again, my 2 cents only. Anyone with more knowledge can feel free to correct me...

RR

Pretty sure "nutube" is just marketing speak for a chip with an integrated LED that glows tube-like. The new Roland Cube amps allow swapping of the "tube" form factor just like we used to swap IC chips BITD with some of our pedals. Nutube is modeling technology. It's not a tube. It's a chip. People are paying extra for a 69 cent LED.

Having been an FAS gear owner for 8 years now, I'd bet this would never ever happen. FAS has their own thing going and it is my impression that they are too independent to have something like this in there products.

Pretty sure "nutube" is just marketing speak for a chip with an integrated LED that glows tube-like. The new Roland Cube amps allow swapping of the "tube" form factor just like we used to swap IC chips BITD with some of our pedals. Nutube is modeling technology. It's not a tube. It's a chip. People are paying extra for a 69 cent LED.
Please research a bit before misleading people :)
http://www.korg.com/nz/news/2015/012212/
I can't speak for the Korg but spent quite some time listening to the BluGuitar Amp 1 at the messe this week and also attended a seminar with designer Thomas Blug and I can only I am blown away. It simply sounds amazing and can produce a variety of different tones. Thomas is unusually knowledgeable and explained in detail his personal path to perfect tone through the various shortcomings of Mesas and Plexis and how he designed Amp 1 so it can switch between several of their tone stacks. He also demonstrated how incredibly well Amp 1 takes pedals by adding three boosters in front + the onboard dual booster.
Amp 1 IMO is anything but just "decent" and while not very expensive a truly innovative tube amp that delivers smooth, creamy and dynamic tube sound in spades.
Mind you this is a major rock star in the German market and that Amp 1 is what he uses. I don't know if it makes sense to model but it most certainly is a high-end modern take on old-school technology utilized to it's full potential.

Last edited:

If you read Korg's description, it's based on the old vacuum fluorescent display technology that used to constantly blink 12:00am at us - for those of us old enough to remember VCRs. It's not just LED lighting effects...

RR

If you read Korg's description, it's based on the old vacuum fluorescent display technology that used to constantly blink 12:00am at us - for those of us old enough to remember VCRs. It's not just LED lighting effects...

RR
THANK YOU....I was hoping someone would actually read up on the technology before acting like I was a troll! I am not! This is a new technology that IS AN ACTUAL TUBE in a different formfactor! It is not lights and lighting effects....people need to learn how to read before making snap judgements.

From the site:
Nutube, similar to a conventional vacuum tube, has an anode grid filament structure, and operates exactly as a triode vacuum tube. Also similar to a vacuum tube, it creates the same characteristic rich overtones

Weather or not this pans out to be true, only time will tell, but I sure do wish people would give it a chance before dissing it.

"As with previous vacuum tubes, this newly-developed Nutube is structured with an anode, grid, and filament, and operates as a complete triode tube, generating the same rich harmonics that are distinctive of conventional vacuum tubes. By applying technology from Noritake Co., Limited's vacuum fluorescent displays, the structure of the vacuum tube has been modified, dramatically reducing its size and allowing it to consume less power."

It's a tube indeed.
- See more at: http://www.korg.com/nz/news/2015/012212/#sthash.9zvzQnOC.dpuf

I don't think Fractal will do anything with this unless it becomes responsible for a new, famous and great sounding amp. In which case, Fractal would probably only model it with 100% software.

I was joking with the troll meme. I knew you were asking a serious question. And I did read the link you provided.

But like I said, Vox has been using a preamp tube with their modeling for 15-ish years or so. The Valvetronix stuff had its fans, but I never thought I'd sounded any better than what Line6 was producing at the time. I'm skeptical that this is anything other than marketing to people that automatically assume a tube makes it better. Having said that, if I ever get the chance to check it out in person, I will.

Regarding the question whether FAS would ever consider something similar, there's only one person who can answer that.

Two things:

First, this is an interesting product and I'm glad someone brought it to my attention. Very cool, and thank you.

Second, the Axe will obviously never use it. Perhaps it will benefit designers of EMP-resistant devices or some other unanticipated application. This is a Lounge forum topic.

i dunno, clif knows how to model tubes...if he has a semi-conductor
curve tracer...and he wanted to...he could do it easily...

To be really honest - I listened to the vox audio samples and didn't hear the rich overtones they advertised.
Don't get me wrong - I am a Vox aficionado, have been playing AC30s for most of my life. What I'm hearing in the samples is not what I would associate with sparkling clean or in your face dirty. Maybe it's my aging ears, don't know.

Back
Top Bottom