Will far fields sound better with UltraRes?

No, they will sound mushy (all current offerings at least). The reason being is that room reflections are far more prominent when the mic is further away from the cab, and these reflections must be removed from far field IRs. In order to remove these reflections from an ultrarez IR, you would need to capture the IR in a huge open space, probably the middle of a paddock or something. Even then, would it be worth going to all that effort for something that might change the tone a bit? Personally I would be more interested in doing this experiment in order to discover whether ultrarez could improve the accuracy of a speaker in isolation, or if all the coloration we are getting from ultrarez is simply due to room effects. Also, it would be worth keeping in mind that any change in tone you could possibly get from moving to ultrarez would be dwarfed by the effect of moving the mic a centimetre on any axis, even when your mic is a few metres away from the cab.

If measuring in the ground plane, the speaker would have to be in the center of a space approximately 85ft x 85ft x 85ft to allow for 170ms of measurement time with no first boundary reflections.

Those 85ft ceilings are rare :)

If measuring in the ground plane, the speaker would have to be in the center of a space approximately 85ft x 85ft x 85ft to allow for 170ms of measurement time with no first boundary reflections.

Those 85ft ceilings are rare :)
$8.50 to the guy who makes the IR!

$8.50 to the guy who makes the IR!

I have a pretty big back yard... might need some extension cords... and to cut down a couple trees... and hunt the wildlife so they'll shut up for a few takes... or maybe just turn things up real loud (might scare them off)! Will tell the neighbours its for important scientific research...

I also just scored a few 4x12s on clearance for the purpose of IR acquisition, so might need to get out my measuring tape...

I have a pretty big back yard... might need some extension cords... and to cut down a couple trees... and hunt the wildlife so they'll shut up for a few takes... or maybe just turn things up real loud (might scare them off)! Will tell the neighbours its for important scientific research...

I also just scored a few 4x12s on clearance for the purpose of IR acquisition, so might need to get out my measuring tape...
Will $8.50 do?

Will $8.50 do?

If I do it, I won't be charging anyone. I'd be happy just to end up with some good FF IRs to use, and it would be nice to satisfy my curiosity about the whole ultrares thing, too. I'd still need to measure the space to see if its wide enough (it's big, but might not be quite 50m long with no obstacles big), and it is also possible that the S/N ration may pose too much of a problem for it to be worthwhile. We'll see :)

Back
Top Bottom