Will AX8-Edit run on Mac OS Catalina?

I wanted to post this question in the Lounge where there was a discussion about the new Mac coming out in the fall but I didn't want to derail the thread.

Doesn’t look like it. I’m on the latest Mojave OS and when ever I click on Axe edit it gives me a warning that the software is outdated and will not work with future versions.

Doesn’t look like it. I’m on the latest Mojave OS and when ever I click on Axe edit it gives me a warning that the software is outdated and will not work with future versions.
because it's not updated yet.

Use VMware Fusion / Parallels to create a virtual machine running Mojave or windows or something else ... It can then run the software like that.

There are a lot of music related programs that are 32 bit
my Roland Midi interface, a lot of firewire drivers.
Quantum Thunderbolt. Yamaha CP4 usb midi
If you go into apple, about this mac, system report, software, legacy software.
shows all the software that is 32 bit that I'm aware of. it seems to show software that is on external drives that aren't installed as well

Last edited:
@FractalAudio I updated my mac to Catalina several days ago not knowing that my AX8 Edit is a 32-bit application. My AX8 is out of control from my mac. Would you please rebuild this application with a 64bit compiler option?

@FractalAudio I updated my mac to Catalina several days ago not knowing that my AX8 Edit is a 32-bit application. My AX8 is out of control from my mac. Would you please rebuild this application with a 64bit compiler option?
Doesn’t Mac show a warning each time you open AX8-Edit?

Doesn’t Mac show a warning each time you open AX8-Edit?
In Catalina, AX8 Edit icon has a "disabled mark" on it, so I deleted it. I hoped that Fractal audio would have a 64-bit version of AX8 edit, but I found that it was just my hope. In Mojave, I've been using it without any issue.

1. Don't use beta macOS software on a production computer.

2. Don't update macOS before you are sure all your software, drivers etc. are compatible.

I usually wait at least half a year after final release before updating to a new macOS. There's rarely any reason to be a first mover in updating macOS. You got a machine that works nicely. Let the others be the beta-testers and first movers - and enjoy a trouble-free computer experience.

2. Don't update macOS before you are sure all your software, drivers etc. are compatible.

I usually wait at least half a year after final release before updating to a new macOS. There's rarely any reason to be a first mover in updating macOS. You got a machine that works nicely. Let the others be the beta-testers and first movers - and enjoy a trouble-free computer experience.
I agree. Modern MacOS is very stable even if it is a beta version. Since Mojave (10.14), there have been some warnings to 32-bit Mac applications, because the newer version of MacOS won't support them anymore. Some of my old soft-synthesizers were disabled as well. 32-bit AU plugins have already been disabled in newer versions of Logic Pro. I hope the Fractal Audio to release a 64-bit version of AX8 edit soon!

For most end users I would agree, but for app developers there's often strong value in updating to beta versions to make sure their software is running correctly.

That's fair - and what one would expect. But judging from a lot of posts on various forums there is a lot of ... "end users" ... running betas of macOS and iOS for that matter. And when things don't work - or they loose files - or spend a lot of time with bugs, drivers and incompatible programs - they start to complain.

I'm sure FAS will have 64-bit ready Axe Edits and whatnots ready when the final release of Catalina comes.

I learned this the hard way last fall with an update to their server app. They basically rendered it useless until a patch was distributed weeks later.

In Catalina, AX8 Edit icon has a "disabled mark" on it, so I deleted it. I hoped that Fractal audio would have a 64-bit version of AX8 edit, but I found that it was just my hope. In Mojave, I've been using it without any issue.

FWIW, you can revert back. Technically, each new OS is considered a "purchase" and can be found in your purchased items in the App Store.

Back
Top Bottom