Will an update ever add this

ericar

Inspired
Hi
Will an update ever add the control to make the AXE a slave for spdif recording or is this a
hardware thing that could not be changed?

When connecting to an alternative Interface using spdif, the Axe fx has to be the Master clock and the interface then synchronises its clock to that value. 48Khz. This way, the whole system is in sync. Im guessing that to use the interface as master and axe fx as slave, will involve the axe fx "listening" to the interface and adjusting its own clock accordingly. i dont think this is possible or wise.

You can slave the axe-fx. Check the firmware release log. I think it came in fw 18-19 or so

even as the slave, the Fractal has a fixed sampling rate of 48Khz, so if your master clock is at any other sample rate you are going to get some odd audio and erratic performance. your master clock and daw session must be at 48 KHz for Spdif to work.

I was thinking it would be easier to have the axe as slave. That way the axe wouldn't have to be on in order to run the DAW. I know I can switch the DAW but it would be easier.

Yeah, the Axe-FX can be slave. This was requested by Avenged Sevenfold and implemented in FW18.01
As stated above the data stream must be 48Khz

I bet you could find out by reading the manual or doing a search on the forum.
Dont' be a dick. You've asked more than a few questions on this site that could have been answered with a search of the manual or the forum. You're under no obligation to participate in threads where you have nothing positive to add. Feel free to ignore them if you don't enjoy helping people work through their issues.

Where do I set the AXE to be slave?
When word clock setting is set to AES/SPDIF in the unit should be running as a clock slave, not the master. You make this setting in the IO menu section. Let me know if you have trouble finding it.

Yeah, the Axe-FX can be slave. This was requested by Avenged Sevenfold and implemented in FW18.01
As stated above the data stream must be 48Khz
Avenged Sevenfold? Thats pretty cool, do you have any more info about that? Like in what context they're using the AF2

Last edited:
Dont' be a dick. You've asked more than a few questions on this site that could have been answered with a search of the manual or the forum. You're under no obligation to participate in threads where you have nothing positive to add. Feel free to ignore them if you don't enjoy helping people work through their issues.

I was actually providing a way for him to resolve his issue and trying to be helpful as the OP is a new user. Not everyone is aware of the resources available on the forum or on the FractalAudio site. You know, "teach a man to fish..."

Your statement about my posts/questions is factually inaccurate and your hostility/personal attacks are unwarranted. With that, I accept your apology. I shall leave this thread per your request and allow you to provide A+ service to this forum member.

Sorry for the trouble. I did read the manual a few times but still have only absorbed some of it. The manual does say on page 20 that it must be the master clock. When I set my m-audio card to external spdif I can record but when I change to internal on my card and switch the word clock on AXE from auto to spdif I get a message that says no input clock. I will keep playing with it.

When I set my m-audio card to external spdif I can record but when I change to internal on my card and switch the word clock on AXE from auto to spdif I get a message that says no input clock. I will keep playing with it.

Do you have a second SPDIF cable connecting M-audio SPDIF out to Axe-FX SPDIF in?

Sorry for the trouble. I did read the manual a few times but still have only absorbed some of it. The manual does say on page 20 that it must be the master clock. When I set my m-audio card to external spdif I can record but when I change to internal on my card and switch the word clock on AXE from auto to spdif I get a message that says no input clock. I will keep playing with it.

The Owners Manual is a great resource that every Axe-Fx user should read. Great info there... But it's outdated, the change in the World Clock came in March 2015. The last revision of the manual was in June 2014.

Yes I do have a second cable and tested it by sending a drum loop into the axe so that I could see the meters light up to the beat.

Always the same impolite stuff!
That could have been told in a more polite way!!!

The Owners Manual is a great resource that every Axe-Fx user should read. Great info there... But it's outdated, the change in the World Clock came in March 2015. The last revision of the manual was in June 2014.

Right!
And, ...
additional reading of the Release Notes is even important.

Back
Top Bottom