Will a 600watt guitar cab blow my 100 watt tube amp?

gatgod77

Got a 4x12 cab full of Super lynch V12 speakers rated at 150 watts each,8 ohms,
running it with a JVM 410 100 watt valve head,

With a combined 600 watts Is there a danger of blowing my amp?
Is it just a matter of not getting too loud and pushing the amp too hard?
I dont really understand the power side of things too well so i'm interested in any risks I may be taking to the amp itself

Tried google and a few guitar forums which generally didnt help

thanks

Depends if its wired in series or parallel. 4 speakers at 150 watts doesn't mean 600 watts. To answer your question, no you won't. Impedance mismatch is more likely to blow your amp. It's when you have a 1000 way amp going into a 100 watt cab is when you have problems.

Someone care to chime in and edify me?

Depends if its wired in series or parallel. 4 speakers at 150 watts doesn't mean 600 watts. To answer your question, no you won't. Impedance mismatch is more likely to blow your amp. It's when you have a 1000 way amp going into a 100 watt cab is when you have problems.

Someone care to chime in and edify me?

Ok I think I understand,my cab is a Mesa stilletto cab,I wasn't totally happy with the V30's so I swapped them over with the V12 super lynche's.
The V30's were 8 ohms,so are the Super lynch,so same wiring set up different speaker.
Amazing low end!

Fabio KTG is correct with respect to your amps safety.

A speaker cab with 2 or 4 speakers that are wired in series, you add the impedance and wattage ie: 2-8 Ohm 150 watt speakers in series will give you a 16 Ohm load and 300 watts of power handeling.

When they are wired in Parallel you need to half the impedance and add the wattage ie: 2-8 ohm 150 watt speakers will give you a 4 Ohm load and 300 watts of power handeling.

Here is a cool little reference guide for Series Vrs Parallel wiring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom