Wilkinson WVS1302P tremolo with Locking Saddles

I've got one, and it's sat in a box on my desk as I type!

It's going in one of my strats and isn't the straight drop in I thought it was, so it'll be off to my techs when he tells me his finished the work he's done on the project I left him confused with a few weeks back

I've got one, and it's sat in a box on my desk as I type!

It's going in one of my strats and isn't the straight drop in I thought it was, so it'll be off to my techs when he tells me his finished the work he's done on the project I left him confused with a few weeks back
What trem do you have on that strat now?

I want just the locking saddles for my Gotoh 510... But not available any more as far as I can tell.

I want just the locking saddles for my Gotoh 510... But not available any more as far as I can tell.
They haven't been out all that long. I remember seeing John Suhr post about this trem on TGP before it became available on the Pete Thorn model. I've also seen Tom Anderson mention them & maybe offering the term as an option on his guitars & that the saddles will work on the Anderson bridge. I hope it's only unavailable because they were swamped with orders & need to get new stock. Maybe a waitlist is in order:astonished:

Normal two post strat Bridge. It needs some routing where the bar is and the block is bigger so will need some routing so I can get the range I want
Ahh yes there is a slight difference, it will be a direct fit if you would of had a Gotoh 510.

Did you make it fit? Does it work as advertised?

Got my tech to fit it, works really well but I'm actually playing an old strat he stuck a new neck on for me more at the moment

I intend to spend more time with it o er the next day or so

Yeah these new Wilkinsons combined with locking tuners are the next best thing to a Floyd as far as tuning goes. Tonally, they're better than a Floyd.
I want one SOOO BAD but they don't have it in stock now :( I have a gig in a couple of weeks and I wanted to use a guitar for that that I need to use the tremolo but I guess it's all worn out the one in it now that it goes our of tune. That is from 1981 so it's about time for an upgrade!

I assume this is for your DK24, correct? I recently managed to greatly improve the stability of mine without locking saddles, but it took quite a bit of change to do it, and it takes a bit of regular maintenance. Not as stable as my Floyd style set ups, but got fairly close.

I assume this is for your DK24, correct? I recently managed to greatly improve the stability of mine without locking saddles, but it took quite a bit of change to do it, and it takes a bit of regular maintenance. Not as stable as my Floyd style set ups, but got fairly close.
Yes. What did you do?

I just ordered a SuperVee MagLok to see if that helps at all. Waiting for it's arrival.

I wish the bridge studs had locks like my old Ibanez guitars. They feel a little sloppy.

Yes. What did you do?

I just ordered a SuperVee MagLok to see if that helps at all. Waiting for it's arrival.

I wish the bridge studs had locks like my old Ibanez guitars. They feel a little sloppy.

Basically, I did everything I could to minimize friction/contact points. Theory being, it either needs to be locked or have zero friction, anything in between will cause instability.

1) switched to the "FST" style trem block. It was like 80 bucks or so for a whole new bridge with this block. It's the same bridge, but the FST trem block is way different, and minimizes contact/friction points. the problem is, the "custom" part of the bridge from Charvel is the height of the block (it's shorter than standard), so in order to fit it, I had to raise the bridge height on the pins, and drop the saddles way down, and modify the opening in the rear cover (or leave it off) to keep the block from dragging the cover and provide access to the string holes. I dropped my lowest saddle all the way down to contact the bridge plate and raised the pin as much as possible. At that point, the saddle screws all stuck out the top and rubbed my hand palm muting, so I put in shorter screws and it's all good now. The size of the block does limit the upward float of the bridge unless you grind away some body. I get about half a step on the B/G strings I think. Personally, I don't need a lot (I limit my floyds intentionally already), so this isn't an issue for me.

2) Whatever those little pins in the headstock are called, that you run the string under before reaching the tuner... don't use them. they add more friction, even if you lube them. It looks kind of funny to have the string passing way over the top of them, and I was a bit worried about it since the headstock is not angled back that the strings may jump out of the slots, but it hasn't been an issue. I also do not dive bomb it, so there's that.

3) lube the saddles and nut (especially the nut). I do the saddles with a string change, I do the nut whenever I notice an issue. I usually notice any issues on the G-string only, so maybe the nut just isn't slotted quite right for it.

Doing those three things it's pretty good, much better than stock. I do the same thing on my hipshot fixed bridge guitars. I do use elixir nanowebs, which keeps the contact on the wound strings a little slicker, not sure but that might help too.

Basically, I did everything I could to minimize friction/contact points. Theory being, it either needs to be locked or have zero friction, anything in between will cause instability.

1) switched to the "FST" style trem block. It was like 80 bucks or so for a whole new bridge with this block. It's the same bridge, but the FST trem block is way different, and minimizes contact/friction points. the problem is, the "custom" part of the bridge from Charvel is the height of the block (it's shorter than standard), so in order to fit it, I had to raise the bridge height on the pins, and drop the saddles way down, and modify the opening in the rear cover (or leave it off) to keep the block from dragging the cover and provide access to the string holes. I dropped my lowest saddle all the way down to contact the bridge plate and raised the pin as much as possible. At that point, the saddle screws all stuck out the top and rubbed my hand palm muting, so I put in shorter screws and it's all good now. The size of the block does limit the upward float of the bridge unless you grind away some body. I get about half a step on the B/G strings I think. Personally, I don't need a lot (I limit my floyds intentionally already), so this isn't an issue for me.

2) Whatever those little pins in the headstock are called, that you run the string under before reaching the tuner... don't use them. they add more friction, even if you lube them. It looks kind of funny to have the string passing way over the top of them, and I was a bit worried about it since the headstock is not angled back that the strings may jump out of the slots, but it hasn't been an issue. I also do not dive bomb it, so there's that.

3) lube the saddles and nut (especially the nut). I do the saddles with a string change, I do the nut whenever I notice an issue. I usually notice any issues on the G-string only, so maybe the nut just isn't slotted quite right for it.

Doing those three things it's pretty good, much better than stock. I do the same thing on my hipshot fixed bridge guitars. I do use elixir nanowebs, which keeps the contact on the wound strings a little slicker, not sure but that might help too.
Thanks!

What are you using for lubing? Almost all my other guitars have locking nuts so I have no experience.

#2 you are talking about the string trees. I think the primary role is to keep the same break angle as the other strings. I did wonder about that.

I also feel like the G string is the culprit on mine.

I will try the MagLok and see how it works. I also plan to take the guitar to a good luthier to get the nut slots checked out.

Back
Top Bottom