Wilkinson wvs1302p on a charvel pro mod gotoh 510?

I loved my MIM DK24 but at some point became my kitchen-sink guitar and ultimately sold it. How does the Ibanez AZ series compare in terms of tuning stability? Does the Wilkinson bridge fit?

I subscribe to Gerry Haze's guitar newsletter, and he had an argument that staggered tuners just don't provide enough angle, but it really seems different for everyone:

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/rant-this-time-its-staggered-height-tuners

Here's the gist from his article:

"For me, staggered-height tuners don’t really solve the problem they set out to solve. The geometry of the 6-a-side headstock means they can’t. If you really want to have a non-angled headstock without having string break-angle problems, you need to change the configuration — like Music Man did with the 4-2 headstock. If the tuners aren’t so far from the nut, their string angles don’t get too shallow.

Otherwise, stick a string-tree on."

Interesting. How do you know if not having a string tree is less than ideal? I went to staggered tuners on my Strat and everything seems ok - no playing issues, no tuning issues, no ringing, no overtones, etc.

Interesting. How do you know if not having a string tree is less than ideal? I went to staggered tuners on my Strat and everything seems ok - no playing issues, no tuning issues, no ringing, no overtones, etc.

Yeah, that’s why I find this thread interesting; it’s not a universal truth, and what you just wrote proves that. But then you read about people who don’t seem to have enough tension on particular strings. So it seems contextual.

I since read the article and must admit I wondered the same thing when I look at the string-break angle on the guitar itself. It doesn't really change it that much by going to staggered tuners. I'll see if I can bend the string out of the slot as he mentioned seeing.

They should get more because they are always in demand. Great product.

I subscribe to Gerry Haze's guitar newsletter, and he had an argument that staggered tuners just don't provide enough angle, but it really seems different for everyone:

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/rant-this-time-its-staggered-height-tuners

Here's the gist from his article:

"For me, staggered-height tuners don’t really solve the problem they set out to solve. The geometry of the 6-a-side headstock means they can’t. If you really want to have a non-angled headstock without having string break-angle problems, you need to change the configuration — like Music Man did with the 4-2 headstock. If the tuners aren’t so far from the nut, their string angles don’t get too shallow.

Otherwise, stick a string-tree on."
I was coming up with all these complicated reasons why Ernie Ball did that... and it was simple (most really good ideas are). Ernie Ball's son came to the local music store here in Peoria one time. In a car with Ernie Ball decals/logos, all decked out. He was really nice to everyone, a regular guy. That's not always the case, but it is sometimes when you are born in to a family business. My last name is Ball is so people asked me if I was related. Not that I know of, but I wish I was... not mooch free strings but to learn more about guitars and the designs of the items we use with them. It's always fascinated me, the power of electric guitar.

On one particular guitar of mine, switching to staggered tuners and removing the e/b tree caused the open e/b strings to sound weaker than fretted notes on those strings -- though maybe it was a nut issue that the tree compensated for.

Received the saddles today, hopefully will have time this weekend to see if they will just fit on a Gotoh 510 trem I have on a Friedman guitar. This video should eliminate any surprises... then it will be killer axe's that stay in tune no matter what x3 guitars for me. I have a PRS McCarty with a fixed bridge and locking tuners so it is very stable with tuning. So much better then the days of by the time 1 song is played I'd have to re-tune, Re-tuning constantly sucks, so very happy and grateful.
😀

Attachments

• IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Looks like they will fit perfectly. Will make this axe most "killer"
I can't really see well enough to tell the measurements, but they appear to be the same.

IMG_1605.JPGIMG_1604.JPG

Got a bunch of these in last week.
A few PRS sets and a couple Fender sets.

Waiting for my string changes to swap....

I know a fun way to bring forward string change dates....
Guitar Rockstar GIF by Wallows

:D

Back
Top Bottom