Wife's NGD: Emerald Bass (carbon fiber)

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
My wife received her new custom Emerald Flow bass yesterday and it is AMAZING. The pictures turned out much redder than the actual color, but I managed to snap one that actually looks purple.

sahuryqu.jpg
avudumah.jpg
u4e2yry5.jpg
asava8ub.jpg

What scale & radius is that bass?

It's a beauty, but it looks massive from the photos.

Just curious.

Thanks. That's a wrist killer for me like my Rickenbacker.

It's so hard to find someone that makes a short or medium scale bass anymore.

Went through their site a good amount while eating lunch here at work. They have some really cool products on there.

Question for anybody...they claim that the flow bass (the one the OP got) is one piece. The exact words are "one piece contruction". Unless I'm missing something that's borderline impossible unless they are using some kind of core and melting it out of there. I would assume they are manufacturing the sides and back as one piece then epoxying on the headstock front, fretboard, and top. Maybe someone more familiar with molds/molding can help me out? Maybe they do it like I think and since epoxy gives the CF it's rigidity anyway they are just saying it's one piece since it's epoxy on epoxy?

Note: I have 2 basses with Status Graphite necks, and absolutely love them.

very very cool looking bass…
I bet it'll look awesome under the lights on stage..

but dude.. I know it may belong to your wife..
but you really shouldn't feel compelled to paint your nails before you play it..

Went through their site a good amount while eating lunch here at work. They have some really cool products on there.

Question for anybody...they claim that the flow bass (the one the OP got) is one piece. The exact words are "one piece contruction". Unless I'm missing something that's borderline impossible unless they are using some kind of core and melting it out of there. I would assume they are manufacturing the sides and back as one piece then epoxying on the headstock front, fretboard, and top. Maybe someone more familiar with molds/molding can help me out? Maybe they do it like I think and since epoxy gives the CF it's rigidity anyway they are just saying it's one piece since it's epoxy on epoxy?

Carbon Fiber Injection Molding?

Because our basses are made from a singular exoskeleton creating all the structural strength of the bass, it provides us with more freedom with the tone generating core of the bass

Carbon Fiber Injection Molding?

Because our basses are made from a singular exoskeleton creating all the structural strength of the bass, it provides us with more freedom with the tone generating core of the bass

however it's made… I love it..

Thanks. That's a wrist killer for me like my Rickenbacker.

It's so hard to find someone that makes a short or medium scale bass anymore.

She's been playing an Ibanez SR900 for years and she says this Emerald feels a lot shorter. I haven't put them side by side, but the Emerald feels like a much smaller bass in general. The body is TINY!

It is absolutely one-piece. I have no idea how they do it, but there are no seams. The weave goes all the way around smoothly just as it does on my X-10 acoustic (the Green X10 in their ads is mine).

Beautiful. Cool henna too.

She got that in India last week. She was over there for 10 days for work.

It is absolutely one-piece. I have no idea how they do it, but there are no seams. The weave goes all the way around smoothly just as it does on my X-10 acoustic (the Green X10 in their ads is mine).

It looks like on the site they paint a black line around the side of the bass close to the top (like where binding would be) for the exact reason of hiding a seam. Status does the exact same thing. Is yours different?

I'm genuinely curious as I am an engineer that works in manufacturing and tooling and I'd like to at least think I have a pretty good grasp on how things are made, but this thing if it really is 1 piece has me pretty confused.

It looks like on the site they paint a black line around the side of the bass close to the top (like where binding would be) for the exact reason of hiding a seam. Status does the exact same thing. Is yours different?

I'm genuinely curious as I am an engineer that works in manufacturing and tooling and I'd like to at least think I have a pretty good grasp on how things are made, but this thing if it really is 1 piece has me pretty confused.

The black line on both my acoustic and this bass were by my request. I like the look. The one-piece construction is Emerald's "thing". It's what separates them from the rest of the carbon fiber crowd and it's a proprietary process. The claim is that because of this type of construction, they don't need any bracing and it allows the guitar to resonate better. I can confirm that with my acoustic, it's all 1 piece, hollow (even the neck), and you can look inside to see there are no seams or braces.

That is one beast of a fabric folding design. If they really did this in a one piece construction, then I am truly amazed about the expertize they put into this.

I mean... it's possible to do this, it's perfectly possible, but damn, without a single rogue fold or visible density change due to folding? This is what amazes me more, actually.

Wow, never seen something like that, looks amazing, I love carbon fiber texture, looks so hi tech, love the color as well.
How much does it weight?
Great looking bass!

Wow, never seen something like that, looks amazing, I love carbon fiber texture, looks so hi tech, love the color as well.
How much does it weight?
Great looking bass!

It's a little heavier than I expected. My x10 acoustic is super light. I don't have a scale to weigh it, but I would say the bass is about 6-7lbs. The official spec for the 5 string version is 7lbs.

I have to say that after spending some time with this thing I am completely blown away. I have never played a bass that I could do full major chords in the low register and they ring stable. This is quite the feat of engineering. It sounds like a piano. She is getting it setup the way she likes it and afterwards I'll do a video. Seriously considering selling all of my guitars for Emerald instruments.

Back
Top Bottom