WICKED WIKI 8: Pressing a MFC-101 Preset Switch Twice

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The MFC-101 recognizes if you press one of its preset switches a second time.
You can instruct the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II what to do in that case.

Here are the possibilities.

• Reload current preset. It's a quick method to reset IA switches to their original saved states.
    How: On the Axe-Fx II, Ignore Redundant PC in I/O > MIDI must be On to prevent audio gaps.
  • Global preset. This lets you load another (alternate) preset when pressing ANY preset switch a second time. The alternate preset is a global one: for all presets the same one. Handy if you rely on a common rhythm preset.
    How: on the MFC-101 set Global Preset to a specific preset number (Edit > Setup). By default, all preset switches will now adhere.
  • Backtrack. This handy feature lets you recall the preset which was active before the current preset. Example: you're on preset 4. You switch to preset 41 for a specific effect. Then, instead of scrolling back all the way to preset 4 again, just press 41 a second time.
    How: on the MFC-101 set Global Preset to BAK.
  • Alternate preset. Instead of a global alternate preset (see above), you can assign an alternate preset to each preset switch individually. Example: switch 5 loads Euro Red Rhythm. When pressing 5 again it loads a lead version of Euro Red. Using a single switch.
    How: use the Edit > Preset menu.
    Note that the Preset menu also lets you program the options mentioned above "per preset" instead of globally. So you don't have to be limited to one fixed choice.
Wiki: MFC-101 Tips

To get a list of all Wicked Wiki threads: type "Wicked Wiki" in the Search box.

Last edited:
really awesome and overlooked tips here! ;) I learned quite a bit on this one :D
Can the global preset/backtrack/alternate preset be done on the LFs as well?

really awesome and overlooked tips here! ;) I learned quite a bit on this one :D
Can the global preset/backtrack/alternate preset be done on the LFs as well?

I'm not familiar with the LF but I heard it can be configured extensively.

On the Axe "Ignore Redundant PC" is Off by default.
On the MFC Global Preset is Off by default.
So Reload Current Preset is the default action.

I use the reload feature...didn't even realize some of those other settings were possible...thanks Yek!

I also use Reload. Except for my 5 basic "amp" presets, which I've configured to switch their "Lead" equivalents when doublepressing (MFC: Edit > Presets > Alt.).

I guess you could have the X/Y functions as a general use IA or internal CC, then set up an alternate preset with that CC in the opposite state. You might be able to avoid having several alternate presets by using one with its Axe-FX program change disabled.

Smart! :)

In the end having a dedicated IA (onboard or external) for Amp X/Y-switching might be just as handy.

On the Axe "Ignore Redundant PC" is Off by default.
On the MFC Global Preset is Off by default.
So Reload Current Preset is the default action.

This is no longer the case and I can not get it to work like this any more :-( Help

Same is happening to me as brokenvail. Global is set to off and the setting in the ii's I/O menu is also at off but when I double tap I'm still getting the alternate preset. It's no biggie for me b/c I'll probably set it to my lead patch but it's def not defaulting back to the original preset state.

*came back to this, do u just have to set each preset individually to come back to itself under edit-preset-alt preset-enter same Preset number?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing these very useful infos. Only got my MFC-101 yesterday. I'll thoroughly got through your WIKI, sound like there's a heck of a lot of good tips in there.

Just want to add that the Global Preset feature on the MFC-1010 can also be used to jump to a specific scene within the global preset.
How: use Custom Mapping (Axe-Fx: I/O > MIDI).

The MFC-101 recognizes if you press one of its preset switches a second time.
You can instruct the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II what to do in that case.

Here are the possibilities.

• Reload current preset. It's a quick method to reset IA switches to their original saved states.
    How: On the Axe-Fx II, Ignore Redundant PC in I/O > MIDI must be On to prevent audio gaps.
  • Global preset. This lets you load another (alternate) preset when pressing ANY preset switch a second time. The alternate preset is a global one: for all presets the same one. Handy if you rely on a common rhythm preset.
    How: on the MFC-101 set Global Preset to a specific preset number (Edit > Setup). By default, all preset switches will now adhere.
  • Backtrack. This handy feature lets you recall the preset which was active before the current preset. Example: you're on preset 4. You switch to preset 41 for a specific effect. Then, instead of scrolling back all the way to preset 4 again, just press 41 a second time.
    How: on the MFC-101 set Global Preset to BAK.
  • Alternate preset. Instead of a global alternate preset (see above), you can assign an alternate preset to each preset switch individually. Example: switch 5 loads Euro Red Rhythm. When pressing 5 again it loads a lead version of Euro Red. Using a single switch.
    How: use the Edit > Preset menu.
    Note that the Preset menu also lets you program the options mentioned above "per preset" instead of globally. So you don't have to be limited to one fixed choice.
Wiki: MFC-101 Tips

To get a list of all Wicked Wiki threads: type "Wicked Wiki" in the Search box.

That's awesome Yek, knew some of this, but a few new tricks to play with. Really appreciate all your work on wiki! Keep em coming!

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom