WICKED WIKI 5: No Excuse for No Backup

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I'll say it bluntly: with the Axe-Fx II there's no excuse for not having a recent backup of your presets.

Yes, dumping stuff to a computer still requires MIDI or USB, a cable and software, but the Axe-Fx II also features this: Onboard Rom Backup and Restore. It's really just a matter of seconds now.

• Press Utility.
  • Go to the Preset page.
  • Select Backup Bank A, B of C, or System, and press Enter.
  • The Axe-Fx will save a copy in its internal Flash memory.
If you need to restore stuff, go to the same spot and select the appropriate Restore option.

I'll repeat: it's really just a matter of seconds.

So what's "System"? The System Bank contains all system settings, such as Global settings (incl. Global EQ), I/O settings (incl. MIDI), custom scales, tuner settings. It also includes all "user cabs" (but not user cabs 51 and higher!).

Also very important, it contains all Global Block information! This means that, if you're using Global Blocks, just backing up A, B or C doesn't guarantee full restore safety. You always need to back up System too, to be able to restore all Global Blocks.

Including System is also important when you're exchanging presets with Global Blocks with other users and want to preserve those global blocks. But be aware that any user who loads your System file will wipe out his own saved user cabs and global blocks, so he/she better have his own backup!

Of course, periodically backing up your Axe-Fx II to your computer is still a sensible thing to do, for emergencies. You can dump the Axe-Fx II contents using Fractal-Bot.

Wiki: Backup and restore

To get a list of all Wicked Wiki threads: type "Wicked Wiki" in the Search box.

Last edited:
When you do the system does it perform the Banks A, B & C or must you do them individually in addition to the system backup?

I have an Excuse... My Chokes out During Backup Switching from Bank A to Bank B and Hangs...
Yet I still have a Backup! I backup A by itself. Then Bank B and C with the System.

So yep, No Excuse.

I just backed up via usb to computer. Where does AXE FX put the files on your computer?

I'm on a PC using the AXE FX II with firmware 11.03

I just backed up via usb to computer. Where does AXE FX put the files on your computer?

I'm on a PC using the AXE FX II with firmware 11.03

You can instruct Fractal-Bot where to put the files.

You can instruct Fractal-Bot where to put the files.

Thanks. I'd been backing up via the utility panel on the AXE FX.
In the wiki is states "Another way to save your presets is by using Fractal-Bot."
It should say "The Best way to save your presets is by using Fractal-Bot."
That was easy. ;)

Reactions: yek
So let me ask this intriguing question. I have never backed up my onboard presets, etc. If I restore my presets from the onboard ROM, will I get like firmware 7 presets? Also, with all of the updates that Cliff always provides, how often should someone be backing up presets?

If you restore user presets, banks or system from the ROM you will get what you backed up onboard.
The factory ROM contains the presets as delivered.

To me, the ability to backup/restore is one the major, major benefits of going digital with something like an Axe Fx. Just knowing that whatever happens, I will always have the ability to get back to a known good state.

Im afraid i dont trust the Axe FX Backups, as i stated before i did a full backup using fractal bot just to find out later they where corrupted. maybe bad luck i guess, but still not so trustful...but that can be said with any backup of any media with any tool, its bond to fail sooner or latter.

Im afraid i dont trust the Axe FX Backups, as i stated before i did a full backup using fractal bot just to find out later they where corrupted. maybe bad luck i guess, but still not so trustful...but that can be said with any backup of any media with any tool, its bond to fail sooner or latter.

Not only that but to insure a usable back up you need to backup periodically while saving x number of previous backups. Lets say backup every month and save the previous 3 backups. Then every 4rth backup reload from that backup file to check it's validity. Do I do this? Of course not. But my banks aren't that important. \m/

I've always wondered: does the internal storage only allow one back-up of each bank at a time?...if not, how many times can you before you fill it up?

Yes, just one instance.

Mmmmm. I haven't figured out how to back-up banks via Fractal Bot, so, in contrast to my standard practice, I've been using only the internal storage. Things get....unreversibly new....every so often.

Back
Top Bottom