WICKED WIKI 3: Decreasing CPU usage

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
If a preset uses more than 95% of the CPU capacity (in fact it's a DSP, two of them), a warning may appear on the screen, and/or you'll hear crackling in the sound.

Even if you haven't reached the limit yet, there may be an unpleasant surprise when connecting the Axe-Fx to a computer via USB, because that connection will increase the CPU utilization.

So here are various ways to decrease CPU utilization.

• Remove unnecessary effect blocks. Note that removing a 2nd Amp block doesn't have much impact.
  • Switch off the preset Noise gate (Layout menu, Threshold parameter).
  • A shunt also uses processor cycles. So if you have parallel paths, instead of routing all the way to the end try to merge the paths earlier.
  • Don't use an expression pedal. When using an expression pedal CPU usage will increase slightly because of MIDI traffic.
  • If you don't use Cab simulation at all, for example because you're using a power amp and traditional cabinet, switch it off globally (Global menu). This will save a lot of CPU capacity.
  • Switch a Cab block from HiRes to UltraRes. Saves CPU capacity and higher resolution.
  • Try other types of the same effect. Some types within an effect uses substantially more CPU than other types. For example, Spring Reverb uses far less CPU than Studio.
More information in the wiki:

Wiki: CPU utilization

To get a list of all Wicked Wiki threads: type "Wicked Wiki" in the Search box.

Last edited:
You need to get these stickied. Also, a companion to this one, what kinds of set-ups are maxing the Axe II out? Is there a nominal set-up?

They ARE sticki'ed...in the wiki !

Ooh.. I'm a poet and didn't even know it ! :roll

Reactions: yek
Just to clarify - even bypassed effects block will still chew up CPU? It's just that I sometimes like stacking on effects that I THINK I might use, and just bypass them so they are there and ready to go.

If that is sucking up processor cycles then I will be more careful about deleting blocks that are totally unnecessary...

Just to clarify - even bypassed effects block will still chew up CPU? It's just that I sometimes like stacking on effects that I THINK I might use, and just bypass them so they are there and ready to go.

If that is sucking up processor cycles then I will be more careful about deleting blocks that are totally unnecessary...

Yes, engaged or bypassed: CPU usage is the same.

Thanks for this Yek.

I've wondered why several patches I've downloaded exceed CPU limit upon auditioning. I assume (maybe incorrectly) they weren't over the limit when uploaded, but caused by something in my settings.

V

well remember as well that axe edit takes up about 5-6% cpu as well. Sometimes patches aren't made on axe-edit, for eg - I'm a hardware tweaker, and will make patches with the knobs and buttons and not with a mouse. A lot of these patches may be close to max, and when auditioned with axe edit, they overload. Some of simeon's overloaded the cpu when I tried them, so I just disconnected the comp and it was great ;)

well remember as well that axe edit takes up about 5-6% cpu as well. Sometimes patches aren't made on axe-edit, for eg - I'm a hardware tweaker, and will make patches with the knobs and buttons and not with a mouse. A lot of these patches may be close to max, and when auditioned with axe edit, they overload. Some of simeon's overloaded the cpu when I tried them, so I just disconnected the comp and it was great ;)

HM. Were they that complex?

Not always complex, but involved the use of blocks that were cpu suckers, sometimes in more than one instance to create the desired effect.

Just wanted to give a thumbs up for all the wicked wiki (love that name, btw) posts, as well as for the wiki itself. It's something that we all value VERY much and will help all Axe II users, from Noob to Master, to find what we need A LOT faster.

Thanks, yek. You rock.

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom