WICKED WIKI 19: defaulting the AMP block

When you do an amp reset does it reset hidden parameters that are not available through the GUI? I never quite understood if a reset changes things that are not visible to the end user or if it only changes the knobs on the GUI to the defaults.

True, I meant in relation to, if the two kind of resets, reset the behind-the-scenes parameters. Your original post spells out in great detail (thank you for that), which user accessible parameters are reset.

Reactions: yek
When you do an amp reset does it reset hidden parameters that are not available through the GUI? I never quite understood if a reset changes things that are not visible to the end user or if it only changes the knobs on the GUI to the defaults.
The Reset resets everything that Fractal deemed necessary to reset, whether it's hidden or not. I have no idea whether the hidden parameters are reset because...well...they're hidden. ;)

Actually, if you think about it, there's no way to change a hidden parameter. So they're always at their default settings. There's no need to reset them.

I was thinking the same, they're static!

Well, we don't know that. It's possible that when we adjust a certain (exposed) parameter, one or more hidden parameters also change.
So it's also possible that with a soft or hard reset, hidden parameters also change back to defaults.
But they're hidden, I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, we don't know that. It's possible that when we adjust a certain (exposed) parameter, one or more hidden parameters also change.
So it's also possible that with a soft or hard reset, hidden parameters also change back to defaults.
But they're hidden, I wouldn't worry about it.
Good point.

EDIT: Though I suspect that hidden parameters are handles for manual manipulation, and anything that changes in response to another parameter change is simply a variable in the code.

Great thread! There should be a link to this every time a new firmware is released.

Nope, bypassing/engaging does not affect the parameter values in any way.

A full reset is accomplished by performing a hard reset.

What does bypassing/engaging do? It seems to be recommended in the Q9 release thread but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

What does bypassing/engaging do? It seems to be recommended in the Q9 release thread but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
I think maybe you mean double-clicking the "Bypass" button (not the "FX Byp" button).

There's nothing about the 'Bypass' button in Yek's first post. And he says later that it doesn't affect the parameters.

He doesn't mention the 'Bypass button' by name, no, but he does say, "If you want every parameter in the AMP block to return to its default value for the selected amp type, you need to reset the block, on the hardware or in the editor". Double clicking the 'Bypass' button IS how you reset the block on the hardware. I believe later when he says bypassing the block doesn't "affect the parameters" that's in response to being asked if bypassing and reengaging the amp block achieves that, which, as he states, it does not. At any rate, "bypassing/engaging" would be clicking the 'FX Bypass' button twice, not double clicking 'Bypass' button while editing the amp block. If you: go into the 'Layout' screen, select the amp block, click 'Edit', then click 'Bypass' twice in a row, that will reset the amp block to all default settings. That is definitionally an affect, you will see it happen if any of the parameters on the page you're on while editing is not at default already.

I think there's a whole lot of unnecessary tumult going on over whether a reset is "required" or not. What resetting offers is an assurance that all settings are returned to default. Some think that provides magic, I think it... provides an assurance that all settings are returned to default. ;)

If you've got "cruft" from old firmwares' values (or old tweakings) that are no longer ideal for updates to the algorithm, then yes, I could see how that might "magically" make an amp sound unbroken on a given firmware, but if you're mostly just tweaking BMT and volume, it might be of diminishing returns. Not something you have to do to avoid complete protonic reversal or anything, just something you might want to do if you're concerned about having all the latest default settings for an amp in a patch. At any rate, the suggestion stands, if you wants to reset your amp to default, edit the amp block on the hardware and double click the 'Bypass' button. If you want to do it from Axe-Edit software, select one of the block reset options from the menus, or hit the keyboard shortcut.

An easy way to test out what resetting does or doesn't offer for yourself is to copy X to Y on the amp, reset X, return: BMT, Presence/Depth, Volume/Drive/Level, and any Bright/Cut/Boost switch to match what they were before. Now compare X and Y. If X sounds loads better, the new defaults are better for that amp, if it doesn't, or you can't hear the difference, than maybe it's not worth the effort to reset amps in every patch. Try it out see what you think, ya know, for science. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom