WICKED WIKI 17: Settings for Different Guitars

Yes, I forgot to mention the most obvious: different presets. :)
Not my preferred method, but easy.

When using different sets of presets, this MFC feature may come in handy when using the MFC: ALTERNATE PRESETS.

You can stay in the same bank, and just press a preset switch TWICE to recall a version of the preset for the other guitar.

Of course, this needs some pre-programming.

I have a global linked PEQ as first block and a global linked PEQ as last block in all of my presets.

The first block is to have different settings at hand for different guitars, mainly to change volume and lows.
The last block is to have different settings at hand for different monitors, it allows finer controls compared to the global output eqs and I can see the curve and get an idea how the changes influence the sound. (Tweaking by ear isn't a good idea in the rehearse or on stage).

That way I have the global output eqs left. I sometimes use them when I need different settings for my monitors and the foh signal, like reducing highs on the monitors to avoid feedback while keeping the foh sound untouched or to get more lows with a small sounding monitor

I do the same as mferrand, using different presets for HB and SC. 0-99 are my HB patches and 100-199 are my SC patches. It's easier for me to remember this way. I can just add 100 to any preset if I switch.

Whenever a modeled amp has lo and hi inputs, the model is based on the hi input.

When using different sets of presets, this MFC feature may come in handy when using the MFC: ALTERNATE PRESETS.

You can stay in the same bank, and just press a preset switch TWICE to recall a version of the preset for the other guitar.

Of course, this needs some pre-programming.

Isn't there noticeable lag though when switching between presets. Amp X/Y and using multiple presets both give me a noticeable gap. Maybe I'm being too sensative, but my musicomlab has no lag...then again it's analog but I can't stand the half a second lause

Yes, there's a small gap. Alternate Presets are not the ideal solution when working with a lot of preset switching I guess.

I've been arguing for literally years for a 'guitar page' on the axe - you set up levels, EQ and Noise Gate for each instrument (I also sing and play viola though my Axe, and percussion too, actually), you name it ('red strat', 'black LP' etc.) and save it. Then when you're gigging and change guitars, you use a soft knob to select and your sound is now optimized for that axe. I think it's much, much simpler and more flexible than any techniques available to us, and it would not be that hard to do (well, I don't think it would - based on the Axe's capabilities). I still hope to see this implemented one day. I have about 9 guitars, a sampler, a viola, and a mic that I feed into this thing and it would be great to have the perfect, optimized sound for each at the twist of a soft knob.

I would really like this as well. What I would love to see on a selectable guitar page:

- Guitar name (16 characters or so)
- Input level (the actual value)
- Noise gate offset (how much to add/subtract to the presets noise gate level)
- Amp gain offset (how much to add/subtract for this guitar to the global amp gain)
- EQ (input EQ)
- Tuner offsets (I have one guitar now with Buzz Feiten tuning system that should have tuning offset and it would be great to have this automatically selected)

Back
Top Bottom