Wicked Wiki 15: PSI ... Preset Scene Investigation

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
WICKED WIKI 15

"PSI ... PRESET SCENE INVESTIGATION"

What's a scene?
Firmware 9 introduces preset "scenes". Each preset now has 8 separate scenes. The routing (grid) in all scenes is always exactly identical. What's different? The bypass state ("engaged/bypassed" aka "on/off") of each effect block can be different per scene. Also, the X/Y state of each effect block can vary per scene. Finally, each scene has its own output level setting (Gain in Layout menu), and this goes for the output level in the FXL block too. All in all, the scenes feature is comparable to an advanced switching system for a pedalboard or a 19" rack.

Example: scene 1 of a certain preset may have everything on the grid bypassed except for the Amp/Cab blocks, both set to X. Scene 2 has 3 additional blocks engaged and the Amp block is set Y. With a simple stomp on the MIDI controller you can switch between scene 1 and 2.

What are the advantages of using scenes instead of preset switching?
  • The routing stays the same, so there's no audio gap when switching between two scenes within a preset.
  • Spillover of delay/reverb is unaffected when switching between scenes in a preset. This makes it easy to create beautiful fade-outs etc. Example.
  • You can migrate the functionality of various presets into a single preset and then use scenes to recall that functionality, or parts of it. This requires less presets and therefore decreases the need for bank scrolling on your MIDI controller.
  • A change in the routing in a scene is applied always to the other scenes in the preset. This may decrease the need for global block functionality in certain scenarios.
  • The preset output level (Gain in |Layout menu) is stored independently for each scene. This applies to the FXL block too. This presents a solution for those who use multiple guitars with different output levels with their Axe-Fx.
How do I see which scene is currently active?
Check the indicator on the front panel display.

Can I use different effect parameters in each scene?
No. Changing effect parameters in a scene will affect all scenes.

How do I access and switch scenes?
  • Front panel: use Quick Control knob A to select a scene within the current preset. You need to be in the Recall screen or Layout menu.
  • The MFC-101 lets you assign switches to specific Scene functionality. You can assign switches to specific scenes, or increment of decrement scenes. The MFC-101 LEDs are refreshed after a scene change.
  • MIDI CC: assign a switch to the MIDI CC for Scene Select (default 34) with values 0 to 7 to select scene 1 to 8 within the current preset. Values higher than 7 also select scene 8. Values higher than 63 will step through the scenes, wrapping at the limits. If you don't specify a value, the switch will switch between scene 1 and 8. Also, there are dedicated MIDI CCs to increment or decrement the current scene.
  • MIDI PC: MIDI Mapping in the I/O menu has been extended with a Map To Scene parameter. This makes it possible to use a MIDI PC message to select a specific scene within a specific preset. An example is posted here.
    ** After configuring the mapping, don't forget to set Mapping to Custom to activate it.
    ** To achieve gapless switching, make sure you set IgnoreRedundantPC in I/O to On.
    ** Combining TotalSync on your MFC with PC Mapping leads to LED sync issues.
  • Alternatively send a MIDI PC followed by the MIDI CC for scene selection (default 34) with value 0-7, if your MIDI controller supports it.
Notes:
  • When using the front panel to switch presets, scene 1 will always be active by default. Even if the preset was saved while being in another scene.
  • The default MIDI CC for Scene Select is 34. This CC previously was reserved for Global Bypass. The Global Bypass functionality has been removed due to the introduction of scenes.
Can I name a scene?
No.

What's the initial state of blocks in a scene?
Scenes 2 to 7 will have ALL effect blocks engaged initially. This is by design.

Can each scene have different X/Y states of effect blocks?
Yes. For example, the Delay 1 block in scene 1 can be set to X while the same Delay block in scene 2 is set to Y. This is extremely flexible. Note that using different types of Delay/Reverb in X and Y may impact spillover behavior.

Of course, you also still use two instances of effect blocks (instead or in addition to X/Y states) in your presets. This lets you bypass/engage each instance per scene (on the expense of CPU usage).

Notes:
  • Because of the implementation of X/Y in scenes, all blocks in existing presets will be set to X initially! Don't forget to check/adjust your presets.
  • Switching an Amp block between X/Y, in the same scene or between scenes, causes a short dropout.
Can each scene have different modifiers, different internal controller settings, different global blocks?
The Scenes functionality was introduced to minimize audio gaps when switching between sets of tones. Therefore routings must be kept the same except for bypass states, X/Y and output volume. Modifier settings, controller settings and global blocks are the same in every scene.

Can I retain the current state of an effect when switching between scenes?
For the same reason as explained above, you can't "dynamically" carry over the current state of an effect from the current scene to another one. For that functionality, stick to preset switching and use general use IA switches on your MFC-101, set to "global", or use external switches with your MFC-101.

What you can do: tell the Axe-Fx how you want it to handle effect states when leaving and returning to a scene. By default the Axe-Fx remembers which block states you have bypassed/engaged after having selected a scene. If you then leave and return to that scene (without changing presets) the Axe-Fx will recall those changed states. If you prefer always recalling a scene in its saved state (block are set to the state they were in when saved), set the new parameter “SCENE REVERT ON CC” in the I/O > MIDI menu to On. Note that Revert doesn't apply to scene switching using Axe-Edit or the front panel. Also, Revert doesn't work with PC Mapping.

How to use this for more and faster control over the Axe-Fx?
  • Combine presets into a single preset for gapless switching.
  • Use preset scenes instead of the MFC-101's Song Mode, to combine sounds for songs.
  • Use two Amp blocks and if necessary two Cab blocks for more flexibility when configuring scenes.
  • Configure different X/Y states for effect blocks and vary these per scene.
  • Decrease Bank Size on the MFC-101 to have more IA switches on your MFC-101 available for scene switching.
  • Use the Alternate Preset functionality on the MFC-101 to get access to multiple presets (with scenes) through a single preset switch.
  • Create an ad hoc "Lead" scene for each preset by adding a level boost (such as a NullFilter at the end of the grid), delay and drive block. Save a scene with these blocks engaged.
  • Create a scene where only the Amp and Cab blocks in the routing are engaged and dedicate an IA switch to it. This switch lets you return to your basic tone at all times. Think of it as a "Panic" switch.
  • When using various guitars, the use of scenes enables you to optimize the preset output level for each guitar. Also, you can bypass/engage stuff like a PEQ in each scene etc. for even more control.
How do I prevent going crazy?
The Axe-Fx and MFC-101 provide state-of-the-art control and switching functionalities. See below for a quick overview. Take care not to lose control when using and combining all these.

• Preset switching
  • Scene switching
  • Switching between multiple instances of an effect block
  • Selecting global block instances
  • X/Y state switching
  • Assigning a CC to multiple effects for one-click-switching of multiple effects
  • Using external controllers (onboard or external switches) to engage/bypass blocks
  • Global preset switching on the MFC-101
  • Alternate preset switching on the MFC-101
  • Switch linking on the MFC-101
  • Preset backtracking on the MFC-101
  • Configured switches as "global" on the MFC-101
  • Realtime parameter control through expression pedals
  • Song Mode on the MFC-101
Questions etc.? Reply to the post.

More information
To get a list of all Wicked Wiki threads: type "Wicked Wiki" in the forum Search box.

Last edited:
Thanks for this clarification Yek. I also appreciate the clear and concise explanation of the MIDI control for switching. :)

Just one question - if you are working through the scenes in a preset in order to make changes, do you have to SAVE the preset before changing to the next scene, or will all changes be retained and you only have to hit SAVE after changing ALL scenes to your liking?

Thanks Yek!
Small typo: "Also, the X/Y state of each effect block can vary per preset." should be "vary per scene" I think.

Reactions: yek
Thanks for this clarification Yek. I also appreciate the clear and concise explanation of the MIDI control for switching. :)

Just one question - if you are working through the scenes in a preset in order to make changes, do you have to SAVE the preset before changing to the next scene, or will all changes be retained and you only have to hit SAVE after changing ALL scenes to your liking?

No need to save each step.

just to make this clear: i can send a pc to chose a song and then use pc commands to switch between chorus, solo etc of that specific song ?

just to make this clear: i can send a pc to chose a song and then use pc commands to switch between chorus, solo etc of that specific song ?
PC to choose a patch, CC to switch effects on/off or pick a scene within that patch.

This is excellent Yek! Thanks for posting. Quick question. I see that you said that the default scene has all blocks default to X which is fine - I do that anyway. But are the defaul on/off states previously saved retained? Meaning, when I update to 9, will my current presets behave normally, or will the default to all on?

This is excellent Yek! Thanks for posting. Quick question. I see that you said that the default scene has all blocks default to X which is fine - I do that anyway. But are the defaul on/off states previously saved retained? Meaning, when I update to 9, will my current presets behave normally, or will the default to all on?

After I updated my presets (earlier beta), all blocks in existing presets were set to X.

After I updated my presets (earlier beta), all blocks in existing presets were set to X.

Right, I understand that. I'm wondering if the block on/off status carries over to scene 1, or will all blocks default to on. It's confusing and I just want to know what to expect before I do the update.

thanks! 8)

Seems like not being able to identify which scene is active via the MFC display would be confusing.

Seems like not being able to identify which scene is active via the MFC display would be confusing.

Oh, it's pretty easy to tell. All in the ears. ;)

Plus, you CAN tell on the MFC- the button you assign to the scene switch illuminates when that scene is active.

And many many thanks to Yek, your tutorial was so easy to follow I had no prob getting it set up in just a couple minutes. :)

Back
Top Bottom