Wicked Wiki 15: PSI ... Preset Scene Investigation

That is the intended operation. It's the same as pressing the FX BYP button on the front panel. However, we are considering altering the behavior so that selecting a scene from MIDI reverts to the saved scene state. This presents a programming challenge though.

I vote for the suggested altered behavior (revert to saved state).

@Yek
Paint me stupid-2 dumb questions:
1. As you change the state in a presets scenes you only have to save the preset when done? Is that correct?
2. even stupider (is that a word) Saying the routing has to be the same "means" in each preset of course, correct? IOW, it's not like all my presets have to have the same routing, the scenes are tied to the preset thy are in? Correct?

Both times: yes.

Thank you Yek! So I got scenes dialed on the front of the Axe II and as far as the Edit and Midi but am lost choosing the IA as described in the OP, help! If you take the time to answer please consider I may not know the MFC as well as you and will get lost if you assume I know all the steps, so PLEASE list them (yes I looked over the manual, still stuck), ... thanks!

Hi, currently a few days away from home so ...

Markus, sorry, what happens in the beta team stays in the beta team. :)

Yek, no problem with that! I just would love to see, something like: OK, Markus: i got your points ... or ... Markus, all your issues are well known in the beta team ... or, hey buddy, you`re totally missinterpreting the intention of scenes ... ;) you know?

It`s only: I am very interested using this feature in the future. So: Did you read and understand my issues? Or i am totally wrong? I know there are some issues because of the MFC, not because of bugs in the Axe-Fx ... but ... we all want get it perfectly to work with the MFC, right?

Again: I hopefully wish, someonewould think about this:

PC Changes AND CC-Changes on the Scene CC will bring the same reaction from the Axe-Fx (resend IA stats / resend scene name). If you think this to end, i came up with: In reality, there would be no more "preset-Names", only "Scenes-Names" ... for example ...

But thank you for your little "tutorial" here Yek! Much appreciate! And please: I love the scenes! And my only intention is to give some feedback on issues ... i think, thats what you`re asking for and that`s the reaction from the community, which will bring FAS into the most consumer-friendly direction? so, this is the reason to bringe public betas, no?

Thanks
Markus

Yek, no problem with that! I just would love to see, something like: OK, Markus: i got your points ... or ... Markus, all your issues are well known in the beta team ... or, hey buddy, you`re totally missinterpreting the intention of scenes ... ;) you know?

It`s only: I am very interested using this feature in the future. So: Did you read and understand my issues? Or i am totally wrong? I know there are some issues because of the MFC, not because of bugs in the Axe-Fx ... but ... we all want get it perfectly to work with the MFC, right?

Again: I hopefully wish, someonewould think about this:

PC Changes AND CC-Changes on the Scene CC will bring the same reaction from the Axe-Fx (resend IA stats / resend scene name). If you think this to end, i came up with: In reality, there would be no more "preset-Names", only "Scenes-Names" ... for example ...

But thank you for your little "tutorial" here Yek! Much appreciate! And please: I love the scenes! And my only intention is to give some feedback on issues ... i think, thats what you`re asking for and that`s the reaction from the community, which will bring FAS into the most consumer-friendly direction? so, this is the reason to bringe public betas, no?

Thanks
Markus

Responded to your original post. :)
I think your points, for as much as I could grasp them, are valid.
But as I wrote there: Fractal may come up with a MFC-specific approach for scenes. Don't know what or when though.

I vote for the suggested altered behavior (revert to saved state).
+1 more.

And regardless of how it shakes out, a huge thanks to Cliff and FAS for allowing this type of dialog, for letting us be a part of the development process.

Just for fun, this is how I approach / design my switch layouts for MIDI foot controllers.

BTW, often a design doesn't work out 'live'. In a 'live' situation, simplicity works best. :)

image.jpg

Last edited:
MIDI PC: MIDI Mapping in the I/O menu has been extended with a Map To Scene parameter. This makes it possible to use a MIDI PC message to select a specific scene within a specific preset.

Can you please explain this ? I'm not sure to understand how it works. :)

That is the intended operation. It's the same as pressing the FX BYP button on the front panel. However, we are considering altering the behavior so that selecting a scene from MIDI reverts to the saved scene state. This presents a programming challenge though.

I also vote for altering the behavior, to revert to saved states!

I found out that if I have a delay in scene one, if I switch it off with MFC IA switch, then go to scene 2 to play another sound, when I go back to scene 1 the delay is still off, though the delay is part of the saved scene 1. It's kind of an auto-save function when playing with scenes inside a preset.
I find it interesting for some use, but it can also be felt as a drawback.

I guess it was meant that way, does everybody feel alright with this functionality?

I agree with you. I think the way it works now is useful when programming scenes. The alternate behavior, always reverting to the saved version of each scene, would be preferable when performing, IMO. I think separate "programming" and "performance" modes for scenes would be useful. I'm not sure distinguishing the behavior based on whether it came from the front panel vs. MIDI would be as useful, especially if you use the MFC for both programming and performing.

In any case, I'm looking forward trying all this out. The scene functionality is something I've been hoping to get for a long time.

Thanks Yek! When you get the time I would appreciate the input to get past the Midi point on my MFC

On the MFC, press Edit, select MIDI Menu.
Use Page to go to "IA01".
Use Up/Down to select the IA you want to use for scene selection.
Set that specific IA to None.
Use Page to go the next menu item: " IA.. c1 CC# Ch01".
Use Up/Down to select the same IA as above.
Set the CC# for that specific IA to 34.
Use Page to go the next menu item: "IA.. c1 Off000 On127".
Use Up/Down to select the same IA as above.
Keep Off at 000 but set On to "1".
Exit Edit.

Now that specific IA will switch between scene 1 and scene 2 within the current preset.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom