Wicked Wiki 15: PSI ... Preset Scene Investigation

Plus, you CAN tell on the MFC- the button you assign to the scene switch illuminates when that scene is active.

True, but if you assign another switch to select another scene, and step on the new switch, the first switch stays illuminated too unless you step on the first switch again to turn it off. Switch links is a workaround for a visual indication of which scene is selected since only one switch in a linked group can be on at a time but that's currently limited to five IAs. Bumping the number of IAs assignable to a switch link group would take care of that. Adding scene selection to the AXE-FX functions of IAs is another way that could be addressed. Accessing scenes via the Reveal button was discussed when scenes were first brought up, so that's another option too.

Yek,
I just tried setting MFC for scenes and am having some questions.

I set five first mfc switches for scenes 1 to 5 and I also linked these 5 switches so only one is on at a time.I set off value to off and on value to 000 for 1st scene, 001 for 2nd scene etc. I can not switch these scenes from MFC, but the problem is when i load a preset it always loads scene 1 , even if i saved the preset with scene 2 active.

Last edited:
Loading a preset always loads scene 1. Doesn't matter how you saved the preset, see OP.
To load a preset AND a specific scene, you need to use PC mapping, or program the controller to send a PC followed by a CC.

To load a preset AND a specific scene, you need to use PC mapping, or program the controller to send a PC followed by a CC.

Ok, i thought only the front panel defaults to scene1.
Can anyone post a step by step how to do this with Mfc?

Thanks for this thread, I`ve overseen ... i love the scenes-function, and because of that, i have extensively tested this function today and posted some problems and suggesstions here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...x-ii-firmware-9-public-beta-8.html#post741810

Yek, i think, some, perhaps all these issues i wrote about are known by the beta-group? Any comments on that?

thank you!
markus

I really (!!!!) like to see, that the secens function will engage all it`s possibilities in the future! I also think, the MFC has to be prepared for these new scenes ... The development of the Axe-Fx is always so much faster, than the rest, like the Editor and the MFC ... ;)

Is it possible to mix scenes and IA's ?
So for example If I have the following:
Bottom row on MFC for patch changing
Middle row as IA's for some choice effects eg drive, PEq etc
Top row for 5 scenes whee the first scene is only amp and cab?

Then if I have say scene 2 selected which turns on amp, cab, delay and drive, but I think the drive is a little too high, on the fly, could I hit the IA for the drive block and switch it off even though scene 2 is active?

Just trying to plan out how I will use it am travelling at moment and have no access.

Thanks

Thanks Yek, that's how I think I'll use it.

All my presets have the same format so it'll work well, although for 75-80% of the 200+ cover songs we do , I use my Plexi patch and add blocks in and out with IA's and use different pick ups and gtr volume settings to suit

Cheers

Hi Yek, thanks for the nice tutorial.

I found out that if I have a delay in scene one, if I switch it off with MFC IA switch, then go to scene 2 to play another sound, when I go back to scene 1 the delay is still off, though the delay is part of the saved scene 1. It's kind of an auto-save function when playing with scenes inside a preset.
I find it interesting for some use, but it can also be felt as a drawback.

I guess it was meant that way, does everybody feel alright with this functionality?

Another nice feature would be to have X/Y on the input gate so we could use one setting with X as clean amp and a stronger setting of the input gate for a high gain Y amp.

I found out that if I have a delay in scene one, if I switch it off with MFC IA switch, then go to scene 2 to play another sound, when I go back to scene 1 the delay is still off, though the delay is part of the saved scene 1. It's kind of an auto-save function when playing with scenes inside a preset.

I guess it was meant that way, does everybody feel alright with this functionality?

Another nice feature would be to have X/Y on the input gate so we could use one setting with X as clean amp and a stronger setting of the input gate for a high gain Y amp.

Remember this is a beta release of 9.0. This kind of feedback on how 9.0 functions is best placed in separate threads in the Axe-Fx II section so it doesn't get lost. It's unlikely to be seen in a thread about the MFC's interaction with 9.0 here!

Hi Yek, thanks for the nice tutorial.

That is the intended operation. It's the same as pressing the FX BYP button on the front panel. However, we are considering altering the behavior so that selecting a scene from MIDI reverts to the saved scene state. This presents a programming challenge though.

No, I wouldn't like that feature. One of the things I like about using MFC mode (Axe mode = NONE) is that I can have different "scenes" (using the term generically here) using MFC presets, and at the same time I can use the IA switches to switch individual fx. The individual changes don't get saved unless I hit "Save/Edit."

It seems like having the functionality as described would make scenes much less useful if you didn't know for sure what was going to come on when you switched scenes.

(Cliff posted while I was typing...) Edit to add: Cliff, this doesn't seem to make sense. Isn't the purpose of scenes so that you know exactly what's going to come up when you select a given scene? I often will have a base setting for a preset, make an IA change or two (ie turn on the Chorus or drive for part of a song), switch to a different MFC preset (ie. a different scene), and then go back to the base setting for the next verse of the song. If scenes auto-save with those new IA settings that seems like it would make the function a lot less useful. I'd prefer if it was like using MFC presets, where the way you saved it, is the way it loads.

Last edited:
Sorry, I misunderstood what Yek wrote in the OP saying Suggestions? Reply to the post.

Remember this is a beta release of 9.0. This kind of feedback on how 9.0 functions is best placed in separate threads in the Axe-Fx II section so it doesn't get lost. It's unlikely to be seen in a thread about the MFC's interaction with 9.0 here!

(Cliff posted while I was typing...) Edit to add: Cliff, this doesn't seem to make sense. Isn't the purpose of scenes so that you know exactly what's going to come up when you select a given scene? I often will have a base setting for a preset, make an IA change or two (ie turn on the Chorus or drive for part of a song), switch to a different MFC preset (ie. a different scene), and then go back to the base setting for the next verse of the song. If scenes auto-save with those new IA settings that seems like it would make the function a lot less useful. I'd prefer if it was like using MFC presets, where the way you saved it, is the way it loads.

If you recall scenes by PC via Axe-Fx PC/scenes Mapping AND set Ignore redundant PC to OFF in Axe-Fx and set TOTAl SYNC to OFF on the MFC, you`ll get exactly this functionality (no more what you call "auto-save") you prefer in MFC-Mode! This is what i am also looking for. Problem: Preset selection higher than the first bank (128) did not work with the MFC. And you`ll have to accept, that you do a complete recall of the Preset -> losing gapless latency (which is by X/Y changes also not given ... but those 10 - 30ms doesen`t really be an issue for me personel...)

If you recall scenes by PC via Axe-Fx PC/scenes Mapping AND set Ignore redundant PC to OFF in Axe-Fx and set TOTAl SYNC to OFF on the MFC, you`ll get exactly this functionality (no more what you call "auto-save") you prefer in MFC-Mode! This is what i am also looking for. Problem: Preset selection higher than the first bank (128) did not work with the MFC. And you`ll have to accept, that you do a complete recall of the Preset -> losing gapless latency (which is by X/Y changes also not given ... but those 10 - 30ms doesen`t really be an issue for me personel...)
I'll have to try this. I don't want to have to turn Ignore Redundant off though, that defeats one of the purposes of scenes. Also not being able to go past Bank one, but that might be a bug?

That is the intended operation. It's the same as pressing the FX BYP button on the front panel. However, we are considering altering the behavior so that selecting a scene from MIDI reverts to the saved scene state. This presents a programming challenge though.

This would be a nice feature to have in the future IMO.

@Yek
Paint me stupid-2 dumb questions:
1. As you change the state in a presets scenes you only have to save the preset when done? Is that correct?
2. even stupider (is that a word) Saying the routing has to be the same "means" in each preset of course, correct? IOW, it's not like all my presets have to have the same routing, the scenes are tied to the preset thy are in? Correct?
Sorry for the dumb questions

Thank you Yek! So I got scenes dialed on the front of the Axe II and as far as the Edit and Midi but am lost choosing the IA as described in the OP, help! If you take the time to answer please consider I may not know the MFC as well as you and will get lost if you assume I know all the steps, so PLEASE list them (yes I looked over the manual, still stuck), ... thanks!

Back
Top Bottom