Whylite - A preset (free download) loosely based around the Magnatone Twilighter Stereo

Burgs

Power User
I own a Magnatone Twilighter Stereo. I'm very fortunate, I know. To be in the room with it while it's in Stereo Pitch Vibrato mode is really something. Perhaps you've seen one of the vids I've shot that tries to convey its magic. Tough call, that one - capturing it. It's without a doubt one of the top three greatest amps I've ever owned. Maybe the greatest. HIWATT, SLP, AC30 ... there a few others that hold their own too but the Magnatone stands alone. We don't have a Magnatone modelled in the Axe to my knowledge. I have no idea if that will happen in the future, but I hope so. In the meantime I can try to park next to its recorded tone with the considerable tools we have on hand (thank you Cliff and development team). The amp has a clear but grainy, complex kind of clean. In my mind, somewhere between a JTM45 at moderate volume and an early AC30. It's actually 2 x 22W independent amps so a Deluxe Reverb comparison might be drawn as well, although I don't hear a DR in this amp so much. So I've used both the JTM and AC30 models as a platform. Then there's the Stereo Pitch Vibrato. I am not a technician and can barely read a circuit diagram so I'm already on the back foot with that one. I have to use my ears. My ears say "FAS Vibe into a stereo panner" so that's what I've used - but in reality I may not even be close. The two respective rates sound like a Golden Ratio inspired duo so I started there and got lost quickly. Anyway, I'm raving. Try the preset, watch the video, enjoy. Suggestions for improvement or updated versions are welcome. I know others have had a crack at this so I'm keen to hear their thoughts.

Preset: Preset download: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9293

Video:

Last edited:
Thank you, @Burgs! That tone is clean, ringing, thick and meaty all at once. Nicely funkified by the Phaser. If you're looking for a more vibrato-like vibrato, try the Chorus block. Turn off AutoDepth, set Mix to 100%, and go a bit nuts with Rate and Depth.

That sounds gorgeous. I can't wait to try this one out @Burgs! A Magnatone is definitely one of those "I'd buy that amp to own an amp again" type of amps to me.

The timing on this post is interesting. I was flipping through my tracks in my SoundCloud account the other day and I came across this one:

Which I'm like 99% certain was inspired by the last time you talked about your Magnatone amp. My description starts with "I was intrigued by clips of a old, stereo Magnatone amplifer that did both stereo panning and vibrato effects simultaneously." And you're the only person I know who could have shown me "clips of a Magnatone" amplifer. Though, maybe I was wrong thinking it was old?

Unrelated: your video reviews of Kinman Tele pickups helped me settle on a set I'm using for my winter build: a new, and proper, Telecaster (the other Tele body I own is a La Cabronita build with filter-trons). Your reviews are always so thorough and the two you did on the Kinman sets were day-and-night on the tones which helped me pick the set I picked. Thank you!

That sounds gorgeous. I can't wait...
Ian! Thanks, mate. Very kind words. I believe that the Magnatone brand and its stereo pitch vibrato do go back quite a bit - back to the 50s..? So, yeah, it's cool to see them back. Such a great sound. Your Soundcloud clip has that beautiful 'grainy' quality that I was talking about.

Chris Kinman hasn't been idle during Covid. I caught up with him just last week and he tells me that he has some pretty rad new pickups about to hit the market. He reckons he's nailed a humbucker that will split coils and the single coil will compete with any Strat/Tele pickup. That's something I'm looking forward to!

Late here. I'll catch you guys tomorrow. All the best!

Back
Top Bottom