Why would anyone sell their Axe-Fx 3 if it's so great?

I'm on the waitlist for the FM3 just like I was for the AX8. The difference is I'm not selling off my rack unit this time so I won't have to buy another rack unit later :D

I used a II & MFC for four years and was very happy with them, but when the AX8 came out I bought that and sold the II because it seemed more practical, not because I thought it was an improvement. Two years later I was reconsidering that choice and when the III came out with promised full FC integration , I bought that and sold the AX8 when my FC-6 arrived. When I get my FM3 I will likely keep my III, but the again, maybe not.

People buy and sell stuff for a variety of reasons, but the title of this thread doesn't sound like a quest for information so much as an attempt to stir the pot. Leave off the last four words and it doesn't sound as much like trolling.

Danny W.

If you "really" want to know, why not PM the folks that are selling them? Since there's not really that many folks doing this, as best as I can tell, it shouldn't take much effort.

If you represent yourself as an interested potential buyer, I'll bet they'll spill the beans, and tell you how terrible the AFIIIs are..... :rolleyes:

I'm guessing there's folk out there who jump on new products just because they can and then shift them to make room for the next new thing. If that rocks their boat then good luck to them - however it's something I'd find hard to do.

To get a III I'd have to sell my II (because I also have a MFC and it's not ideal with a III - so the II/MFC bundle would be a good complete package to sell). I love my II though and I'd have to have the III in my hands before letting the II go. But .... once the hole in my bank balance starts to fill up again I'd end up talking myself into keeping the III and the II ... and then need a FC6 as well.

Of course, all I probably really need is a FM3 (as it has the USB sound device ability and phones that an AX8 didn't plus I don't use 2 amp block presets usually) and an FC6 .... but why would I buy those when I'm used to a rack mount II (or III) which has a bit more functionality (which I likely will never use .... but you never know?)?

I personally blame you Cliff Chase in the first part and all you others in the forum for tempting me and exploiting my sentimentality over gear I hate to see go!

( I have 14 guitars too ..... can I blame you all for that as well?)

I agree. And it really doesn’t take a lot of effort to get a good sound out of the AxeFx. I’m baffled when I hear someone state that no matter what they try they can’t get a usable tone.

You'd be surprised. I have a friend who purchased an Axe Fx IIXL and could not dial a good sound through any means. He tried frfr, and tried running it through his tube power amp. I went to his place to confirm the bad sound. He decided it wasn't for him and returned it.

When I decided to get one, he warned me that it was hard to dial in. He believed good tone was in there but it was beyond him to dial it in. I ordered one and within 5 minutes I called him to come over and we was wowed. The only reason I returned it was because the 3 was announced while I was during my return window. Now I have a 3 and he loves playing it when he comes over but still feels it's too much gear for him.

I had mine listed on TGP yesterday and took the listing down this morning. Funny how I found this thread after I took the III down from TGP.

I was going to sell the III and get a Mesa TC-100 head and use the FM3 for effects. Also the FM3 could possibly assuage my GAS now and then.

I decided to keep the III because I’ve been down this same road with a Mark V and a Helix after selling an AX8 to fund those.

Impulsivity is a bitch and I know that after a month or so with the TC-100 and a FM3 I’d probably just want the full blown III again so I’m keeping the III and just stashing up cash until the FM3 is actually launched. Maybe I end up with enough to get a head and run it through the III by then.

I had mine listed on TGP yesterday and took the listing down this morning. Funny how I found this thread after I took the III down from TGP.

I was going to sell the III and get a Mesa TC-100 head and use the FM3 for effects. Also the FM3 could possibly assuage my GAS now and then.

I decided to keep the III because I’ve been down this same road with a Mark V and a Helix after selling an AX8 to fund those.

Impulsivity is a bitch and I know that after a month or so with the TC-100 and a FM3 I’d probably just want the full blown III again so I’m keeping the III and just stashing up cash until the FM3 is actually launched. Maybe I end up with enough to get a head and run it through the III by then.
The III will continue to be the shit for quite some time, keep her around!

David Letterman’s Top 10 “Why would anyone sell their Axe-Fx 3 if it’s so great?”

10 - They missed the joy of watching the power transformer of their tube amp explode and catch fire at a gig
9 - They couldn’t get enough hiss in their tone
8 - They just couldn’t understand why Clif wouldn’t model the Line 6 Pod
7 - They thought the Axe just wasn’t “woke” enough
6 - They felt the Axe wasn’t in keeping with their dissociated artist routine pointing out the imperfections of modern society
5 - They couldn’t figure out where the tubes were
4 - They found out their amp sound doesn’t change every time they power up which is just plain wrong
3 - They registered on thegearpage.net
2 - They had to sell it when their Uncle Kemper found out
1 - They had the best guitar processor on the planet and they still sounded like ..... ?

If they are selling the Axe-III to get the FM3 I'd imagine they want portability, which is very important to some. I want both and actually would like a second III for the mancave as a backup.

Back
Top Bottom