Why would anyone sell their Axe-Fx 3 if it's so great?

I’ve seen people sell their great car. What are they thinking?

I did that once: just to have a « normal family car » (and expecting to be « normal » or to fight a feeling of guilty for buying expensive things). I’ve been so unhappy and sad after that !!!
One year later, I bought a new car and felt « back home ».

But they wouldn't sell the 3 to get the smaller FM3. The Axe 3 was a game changer. The II and previous versions were not in that ballpark. The 3 is a different league and so if someone does not need all the power the 3 possesses and the FM3 sound quality is on par then many will find the FM3 advantageous as it provides what they need in a great price point and size. It's o.k.

I wasn’t referring to anyone selling the III to get the FM3. I’m talking about actual, somewhat recent events. It was rather amusing.

Anyway, the III is nothing short of astonishing. The only reason I would sell it is to buy the AxeFx IV.

I'd guess more sell because they are unable to control/master the unit and to them it sounds like "poo". Nothing to do with the product tho'. :)
My $0.02

I agree. And it really doesn’t take a lot of effort to get a good sound out of the AxeFx. I’m baffled when I hear someone state that no matter what they try they can’t get a usable tone.

People have unrealistic exceptions, their life circumstances change or they are seeking a profit.

Who cares? One size does not fit all. I've had/have tons of gear that is supposedly the holy grail that I've sold/or would sell if moving to a smaller place.

I see a bunch for sale now since the fm3 was announced and wonder. I mean the fm3 isnt even close to the racks featureset and adding the fc6 to the rack really makes it a beast. A rack isnt any more cumbersome to gig with (locally) then an amp head. Straight to FOH and you are done.

Maybe some guys want to recoup the $$$ diff between the 3 and the fm3 and get the fm3? Or want a smaller rig and have the fc6/12 already so dont use all the extra stuff the ax3 offers anyhow?
It is more cumbersome at least for some people. With the FM3 I can have a single pedalboard to haul. With the AXE3 I have the pedalboard with an FC6 and a rack with the AXE3. I am not selling my AXE3, even if I get an FM3. But if it works well enough for live shows, I am definitely going to be using it.

With complicated music gear you need months and months of learning the inside for customizing the sounds and so on. Now, if the presets do not sound good for someone, yes then it should be returned. But this is also subjective. And can't do much if the incoming signal it's let's say clipping and the end user does not know how to fix that.

A couple of things I've learned in 20+ years of gear hunting:
  • It's better to just spend the money and buy the best you can afford.
  • There's no sense trying to "justify" what you're buying. Everything at some point can be considered indulgence or overkill.
  • If what you are able to afford at the moment isn't enough to get what you want, continue using what you have and save until you can. In the long run you're going to spend 2-4 times more "settling" for things rather than just being patient and saving.

Good enough eventually leads to not enough.

FM3 is the better tool for guitar center style boring noodling..... or so someone with a similar name to the OP suggested in another thread ;)

Convinced me that it’s the right tool for me lol

I agree. And it really doesn’t take a lot of effort to get a good sound out of the AxeFx. I’m baffled when I hear someone state that no matter what they try they can’t get a usable tone.

And the tone is in the fingers, why not use Fractal gloves ? :p

People selling the AF3 ? Is there a AF4 waiting list already ???

To put it shortly: Why own a Ferrari if all you need is a bike?
Money can spent on more important things, than things you don't need. You know, like feeding your family.

I don't own an Axe FX 3. But neither do i need it right now. It's an expensive overkill for what I use the axe Fx for.
To me, even if numbers of blocks are reduced, Featurewise, FM3 is an upgrade from Axe FX 2.
FM3 lost things I don't actually ever use, and added the things I found lacking in the Axe 2. Primarily portability, modularity, Input/output blocks that make routing easy, a comfortable user interface, Axe FX 3 level Amp modeling, Amp+cab mode (Hopefully?), the release of dopamine when a new firmware is released, list goes on...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my standard and AxeII off the same guy a few years apart.
He used them a couple months.
The second time I bought from him I’m like why?
He said, too complicated for him, I had to buy it from him cause I wanted it, but said if he every wanted back in I would gladly sit down and show him what I knew,
About a year later he bought an Axe XL, took me up on it, we got together a few times and I coached him on it.
He didn’t know about this forum and is likely a member now.
Also he had no idea about how to amplify, he was plugging directly into a Fender amp input.
He went Ev powered monitors like I have as soon as he heard my rig.
I bet he has a III now.

Back
Top Bottom