Why why Z? My A B C test and other musings...

Jemwiz00

I had what I will refer to as an existential crisis today. It all started innocently enough. I wanted to do an A B C test with my Mesa/Boogie Mark 2C+, my Mark 5 in C+ mode, and the AX8 with the C+ Model all queued up. I had just purchased ML's Cab Pack 7 the day before, and was rocking out to some pretty authentic tones. I have a real Recto cab handy as well, so I thought what better time to do the comparison test! Fast forward about about 6 hours and you would find me questioning my choices as well as my sanity. While the AX8 tones are still fantabulous, they pale in comparison to the real amps. My questions came to the forefront when I finally realized my goals may have been misplaced over the past 2 years or so of having the AX8. I think I have been literally trying to achieve the tone of my real Mark series Mesa into a real recto cab. The question would be why? I think I found "my tone" the day I first played a Mark. I guess my foray into the Fractal world was all about replicating that tone. Strange. I already own those amps. If I had to describe the Fractal and Mesa comparison In one word I would say "similar". The basic tone is spot on, but there is some intangible artificiality to the Fractal model. A few digital artifacts in the ultra highs? I could dial that out with EQ I suppose, but then it would lose some of the sparkle of the real thing. I'm guessing the Fractal might sit in the mix a little better. Anyway, now I am questioning if I should seek out an FX8 and try to expand on that basic Mark tone with the great effects that I already know are possible. I will probably never come to the edge of this quest. It can get quite expensive. However, I still do think the AX8 might be the perfect solution to get that Mark tone in a small portable package. If I only use Fractal for recording alone, it IS worth it...

You could use the ax8 just for fxs as well, just like the fx8 no? So if you need amp modelling in the future just in case or as the firmwares get better you'd already have it..

I have tried the AX8 through FRFR as well as a real power amp and cab. I'm inclined to keep it and probably will use it for effects in addition to recording. It is a great piece of equipment and excels at many things.

I meant just for the ABC test. If using IRs you won't ever get the same sound as a guitar speaker cab in the same room. Your audience won't hear that sound you are loving from your cab.

I have a Mark V and run 2- 212 Recto Cabs with the FX8

The AX8 is great with an FRFR but in my experience it has never been able to replace my Mesa in a band situation

I am glad I stuck with the amp and FX8 setup

Just my opinion of course

Thanks for all the input!
I did use the same exact real cabinet for the A B C test, and also did compare to the FRFR as well.
I think it should be possible at least in theory to what I want to do.
The Larry Mitchell video was really impressive.
I should also note I have tried doing an A B test before and had much different results.
I will have to give it another go!

Back
Top Bottom