Why was the AX8 not upgraded to Ares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
line 6 has a long time upgrade??

No. But the price is much cheaper in China. And the amount of user is much bigger than FAS.

In China, people always ask like this:

Q: What modeler you use? Line 6?
A: No. AX8.

Q: What is AX8?
A: A FAS product.

Q: What is FAS?
A: ...You know Kempler? the major competitor of FAS.

Q: Ahh Kempler I know! So FAS products must sound good!
A: ......whatever you say.

Last edited:
Sorry, I buy FAS product based upon how they works at the time, but also how they works 5 years later. If FAS doesn't have long time upgrade, Line6 may be a better choice.
Even if the FAS product still performs and sounds better after 5 years of updates from Line 6?

Sorry, I buy FAS product based upon how they works at the time, but also how they works 5 years later. If FAS doesn't have long time upgrade, Line6 may be a better choice.
You have no ability to predict whether you’ll get updates or not, so why would you buy with updates in mind? That’s like marrying someone because someday they’ll be a person you’ll love.

Any good soul to quote the Cliff post here?

Would be nice to have the same AxeFX II partial Ares updates in AX8.

Sorry, but I just had to chuckle about Line 6 being a referent into this whole 'update' thing... Prior to the Helix, the HD line just got like what? ONE update? And it wasn't free by the way... FAS set the new standards for constant updates, like the Axe FX II got 30+ firmware updates in it's lifetime. Hell, even if you want to compare the Helix with it's 2.8 or so FW vs the AX8's 10.01, the AX8 got more in it's shorter lifetime than what the Helix is getting. Now, the AX8 being EOL'ed absolutely doesn't mean it's excluded from any FAS support from now on, but sadly people thinks support only means 'continuous lifetime updates' when it's not.

Sorry, but I just had to chuckle about Line 6 being a referent into this whole 'update' thing... Prior to the Helix, the HD line just got like what? ONE update? And it wasn't free by the way... FAS set the new standards for constant updates, like the Axe FX II got 30+ firmware updates in it's lifetime. Hell, even if you want to compare the Helix with it's 2.8 or so FW vs the AX8's 10.01, the AX8 got more in it's shorter lifetime than what the Helix is getting. Now, the AX8 being EOL'ed absolutely doesn't mean it's excluded from any FAS support from now on, but sadly people thinks support only means 'continuous lifetime updates' when it's not.

What I mean is a FAS product should be still in first echelon after years it was launched due to continues updates. All FAS products except AX8 have such updates. So what's wrong to the people who expect AX8 should has the same update lifetime?

I am not a update eager guy, but I think there are some Cliff "Red Guards" who blame anyone call for update day by day is not grace at all.

Why I talk about L6 is not because I think L6 is better than FAS (maybe helix is a competitor), but if a FAS product is not updated 2 years after it was launched, it then lost a major advantage to Helix or KPA.

Additionly, you chuckle to a non-native-English-speaker is not grace, too.

What I mean is a FAS product should be still in first echelon after years it was launched due to continues updates. All FAS products except AX8 have such updates. So what's wrong to the people who expect AX8 should has the same update lifetime?

I am not a update eager guy, but I think there are some Cliff "Red Guards" who blame anyone call for update day by day is not grace at all.

Why I talk about L6 is not because I think L6 is better than FAS (maybe helix is a competitor), but if a FAS product is not updated 2 years after it was launched, it then lost a major advantage to Helix or KPA.

Additionly, you chuckle to a non-native-English-speaker is not grace, too.

And that only demonstrates how Cliff and Co. had spoiled us... LOL I really love 'FW Friday' as much as anyone here, but it's not like they're obligated to give us updates forever.

There's absolutely not a single number of updates 'set in stone' for any FAS product. Yeah, the AX8 got waaay less updates than it's big brother the AFXII but guess what? The AX8, since it's inception, was already benefited by all the past improvements did to the Axe FX II, so much that it was already born under the 'Quantum' generation of modeling. I just can't understand how people are more concerned about the number of updates than what lies 'under the hood', I mean, once Cliff ports Ares 2.00 to the AX8 it's gonna be on par with the Axe Fx II in terms of Firmware as it has been since it's launch.

There's a post by Cliff that says he has found a way to unify the modeling code into a single file for all products. Does this means further updates for the Axe FX II and the AX8? Maybe... I DO hope so. But until then, both units are Legacy and now the Axe FX III and the upcoming FM3 are the new generation.

I've used Line 6 from way back, since the POD 2.0, XT, Flextone III amps, the first generation Spider amps, HD500X and for a brief period I loaned a Helix. To ME, my AX8 with the year-old FW 10.01 single-handedly blows them all out the water in both sound and feel. :)

Finally, I'm also a non-native English speaker, in fact yo hablo español, soy de Mexico. It wasn't any intentional at all to get at you for this, but if you feel I did, I apologize.

I've stayed out of the update debate for the most part, but the persistence of some views baffles me. Who buys a Porsche and then complains when the company doesn't constantly upgrade the car for life, for free? To match the performance of a higher end Porsche that is built from the ground up to be different? I get that with software based products, updates are typically expected to some extent to correct bugs, expand hardware utility, or other reasons. But, when something has been updated repeatedly and taken to its apex, then what is the point in demanding more? To what end? Keep cramming code in to push the hardware past its designed limit so you can say your AX8 is a III? It's not.

Just buy the III if that's what you want. It doesn't even make sense to ask for a full version of Ares for the AX8. The code was written for a completely different architecture. Do you not like your AX8? It has to be continually upgraded for life or you don't think you've got your money's worth?

If you couldn't use the AX8 without an update, okay, complain. But to complain about not being promised something forever that doesn't even seem necessary because maybe some other product might have an update, just stop. Please. Oh, but it sounds like the company is trying to make it happen anyway, just because they care about their customers. Why still the complaining?

FYI this week Boss (Roland) upgraded Katana to II, one reason was that they needed more DSP power for new features. That platform is close to three years' old only. Meanwhile I don't care, current Katana Mk I sounds good and I will continue using it for gigs.

Hi would this incorporate new effects? As I’m desperate for a tri stereo chorus or just amp modelling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom