Why was Output 2 designed to be wideband?

This may sound naive but couldn't the global EQ on output 2 be re-written to include a block on everything above 20k? Would that work?

I still don't understand why the solution involves modifying the unit which is a PITA due to shipping etc (and for my taste, the less tinkering that occurs inside my unit the better). Why is a simple adapter not an option? (we could order it for a few $ and have it shipped cheaply as well without having to ship our units). I agree this subject is being beaten to death but for all the discussion, not much useful info has emerged.
Depends at which point in the circuit the filtering occurs. I'd assume that the output has some kind of buffer before it goes out and there is also the humbuster circuit. I'd rather have the his removed prior to being amplified and interfering with that portion.

Not saying that's the case here, but a possibility.

Well, it seems FAS has put themselves in a slight pickle here. Appreciating the notion that FAS believed they were doing right by their users who complained of noise issues using 4CM with the gen 1 units, they modified the design for the AFXII. And for this good deed, they've now managed to piss off a whole new group of users who are (justifiably, it seems) finding fault with the new design. Exacerbating all of this is the fact that "help forums" such as this one allow all of this angst and dirty laundry to be aired out in public....the double-edged sword of forums...

Oh well. Let's just take a deep breath and hope that FAS does what it USUALLY DOES: come up with a reasonable explanation and solution. Our experience with FAS, which is STILL a very small company, has been that they are customer satisfaction driven. Is there a reason to think that they will not appropriately address this at some point in time?

Reactions: jon
People will always complain about something, the explanation as to the purpose of the wide band output seemed pretty obvious and logical, the OP reads like he's fishing for an apology from fractal. Boo-hoo.
If you would be so kind as to decode the logic behind the explanation, I would be most appreciative. To me (and others), Fractal's explanation makes no sense at all....none....zero. Perhaps you could interpret for me and help my pea brain to understand.

Filtering after the output will do no good. You have to filter before the audible hiss is created, else you will obviously have to remove audible frequencies to get rid of it.

LIST OF AMPS/GEAR SETUPS WHERE OUTPUT 2 HISS IS EVIDENT:

Marshall JVM 410H with 4CM without the mod you get unusable hiss when using Output 2, compared to Output 1 which still has a small amount of hiss but is usable.

Mesa Mark V with 4CM significantly more hiss with Output 2 than with Output 1

Bogner 20th Anniv XTC with the 4CM significantly more hiss with Output 2 than with Output 1

Eventide Factor Pedals when setup in Axe II's fx loop, there is significant hiss introduced by Output 2

Last edited:
More hiss than the real counterpart?

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here...this thread is about the hiss present on Output 2 when it feeds the front end of a guitar amp in a 4CM setup. All amp and cab blocks are bypassed in this scenario, so if we list our amps/hiss in this thread it has to be after you've hooked up your setup for 4CM. All good.

Yes exactly. Let's get a list going of the gear that hisses when using out 2. Please define if you are using the 4CM or some other type of setup.

I will have to try the 4CM again. I used it with a Mesa C+ and didn't notice it. I'm sure some amps are more prone to this issue than others.

I too want to try 4CM again soon because I don't recall this problem. I completely understand the frustration in these threads and it is a discussion forum for us to discuss stuff like this. But might as well get some data out of it while we are at it :)

I used a Bogner 20th Anniv XTC with the 4 cable method. Significantly more hiss with Output 2 than with Output 1

So theres no hiss when feeding putput 2 to a PA system or monitors?

That depends on who you ask.....

From several users:

"It's purely a matter of very low s/n ratio on output 2. Doesn't matter what you stick it into, guitar amps or mixers or whatever...I tried it all."

"Live it's a waterfall of epic proportions. This is even on a clean amp..."

"Seriously, the SNR was nowhere near 110 dB on my unit. I run a studio and encounter SNR's every day 8) I checked using AFX Out 2 into line inputs and instruments inputs and whatnot."

"I just did a test and it seems like output 2 has the same hiss you are getting. I have axe output 1 connected to my firepod input 1 and panned left, then connected axe output 2 to firepod input 2 and panned it right. Cranked up the levels all around till i heard hiss. Right speaker had more hiss than the left (2 more than 1). This was with regular TS 1/4" cables. Seems to be a problem with the Axe II in general...although good luck convincing anyone on the fractal forums that it has a flaw."

"Regardless of what Cliff said with high gain amps it was louder. I don't know if I put it in this thread or the one on fractal's site (or both), but I tested output 1 into the channel 1 of my presonus box and output 2 into channel 2 of the box. Then I split them left and right and turned them both up evenly and channel 2 (output 2, and right speaker) had a HUGE amount of noise compared to output 1. It has nothing to do with the amp you are putting it into."

Question:
Maybe try and take take those two outputs to a mixer and see if they have different noise floors.

Answer:
Yep, done that. The issue is with Output 2 (L and R), and not Output 1 (L or R). The manual seems to say that all analog outputs are the same, but this is definitely not the case with this unit.

Question:
"When you said "I tested it into everything" does that mean using the 4CM or just using the output of Output 2 with the Axe FX as the only device in the chain? If it's the former, I'm not surprised but if it's the latter, that's news to me."

Answer: "Just one cable from output to any input (guitar amp, mixer etc etc). Nothing connected to input, nor any efx engaged."

Back
Top Bottom