Why was 48kHz chosen as standard for most Modelers/IR loaders?

dumbeat

Inspired
Ive noticed that this is pretty much the standard for internal processing in Modelers(L6, FAS etc.) and IR loaders (Suhr etc.), whether there is SRC for digital I/O or not.

I was wondering what determined this standard, especially considering that the Music Industry defaults to 44 or 88 and the film/video industry defaults to 48 or 96.

Perhaps Cliff could chime in and give the logic behind the choice.
This is in no way criticism.

Thanks.

I agree - would have preferred 44/88 over 48/96 due to prior demos, but not a big deal moving to 48 since most DAW can convert easily. I just have to remember to switch sample rates when starting a new song.

Excellent read. I do remember the reasons from payback when. So, I'm with Cliff, I vote for "when I'm Sixty-Four KHz"

Good read, thanks. I am wondering why Cliff did not implement his optimal 64kHz, since, anyway, very few music projects work at 48kHz... mostly at 44 or 88, some 96, but rarely 48 in my experience. It's also rare that a production team would choose the project's Sampling Rate based on a certain piece of gear (AxeFx for example)...
Like Cliff says in the write up- he can not change the studio conventions... so might as well go 64...I would have loved to hear what the unit sounds like @64kHz.

Last edited:
Also, Cliff mentions that in his opinion software SRC works better than a hardware Chip. So i am wondering if there is a good Software SRC that converts in real time., That would be a life saver for me using the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom