Why wait for the Fractal Midi Pedal???? Please explain....

The thing i'm looking forward to most about the Fractal Controller dropping is you stopping these ridiculous posts antagonizing, bashing and criticizing the same dead horse over and over.

Really? I don't hop on here for months at a time and it's the same old news....not like it's only been a month since he announced it....it's been years! This is a forum and I have a right to poise the question...that and my main question was a valid one about the difference between the 2 pedals....

Oh...and I'll be glad when it emerges so I don't have to hear responses like yours.....no one is forcing you to respond or read.....plenty on here that are feeling the same way I am....

mortega76 said:
$461 for an add on to the FCB1010 seems a bit pricey, and I hate to say it but it's damn ugly (no offense if you're the one who's making them)... I'm still waiting for someone to create or update the UNO firmware with some more features... like in addition to having 5 stomps... we would have the option of 10 stomps and patch switching via the backup up and down... hacking the two inputs to allow for additional expression pedals... maybe some sort of tuner hack that will ingeniously use the display similar to how the POD tuner is, where it shows the note and a part of the LCD to show whether we're sharp or flat... or whatever else they can come up with!

Patiently waiting for UNO 2!!!!!!
Yeah, Mo, but you also want a chrome grill for your Axe-Fx, so I'm not sure you should be criticizing other products for their looks... :lol:

Seriously, though, looks aside -- you're going to have to pay for high-end features. I don't think the pedal jacks on the FCB can be used for expression pedal support regardless of firmware, because they're relay jacks. Xavier could probably address this directly if you were to contact him.

As others have mentioned, Behringer is producing these in the cheapest possible fashion -- every other solution out there with high-end features is using higher-quality parts and selling a relatively small number of units, and thus cost is always going to be an issue.

mortega76 said:
$461 for an add on to the FCB1010 seems a bit pricey, and I hate to say it but it's damn ugly (no offense if you're the one who's making them)... I'm still waiting for someone to create or update the UNO firmware with some more features... like in addition to having 5 stomps... we would have the option of 10 stomps and patch switching via the backup up and down... hacking the two inputs to allow for additional expression pedals... maybe some sort of tuner hack that will ingeniously use the display similar to how the POD tuner is, where it shows the note and a part of the LCD to show whether we're sharp or flat... or whatever else they can come up with!

Hi,
since I feel directly involved in this part of the discussion (as creator of LG-M and UnO), I'd like to share some thoughts (and news) :
1. No doubt, you're correct about the price of the module being too high to be good
2. You're probably correct about it being ugly too, I'm not offended. It doesn't have the correct dimensions to look good, the choices were pure functional.
3. I personally like the looks of the LG (which incorporates the same module). But even on that one many disagree. So by the end of the year there will probably be the same functionality in another, more classic housing. I can already predict the critics on that one : I will be accused of copying existing designs. But that's apparently what people are asking for - a more classic look.
4. Most (if not everything) of what you are asking here, is on my todo list for 2010. I am completely stupid mentioning this here, in this very thread where people are getting upset with vain promises... So I emphasise I'm not giving any release date yet, but one day the LG-M functionality will be available as an electronics set to be built inside the FCB1010. Optionally you will be able to replace the 2 relay outputs with 2 extra expression pedal inputs (resulting in 4 pedals in total). It should enable Axe-FX Tuner display on the FCB (if I manage to show anything relevant at all on a 2.5 digit display...). It would make your FCB1010 USB enabled. It would be cheaper than the LG-M, since it doesn't have the expensive mechanics and OLED display.
There we go, I did it. I shouldn't have mentioned. But your request was too close to what will be laying on my desk as a prototype soon. This being said, please don't start firing questions now. The only thing I can add to this is that it won't take another year to get this one on the market.

why I'm waiting...

1) no $ for it

2) hardware freeze: until the MFC is released, anything about the hardware interface with an Axe-Fx could change, potentially (although very very unlikely) breaking compatibility with existing solutions with Axe-Fx-specific functionality. once the MFC is released, the hardware portion of that controller is set in stone, and any other changes for Axe-Fx-specific functionality can probably be executed purely in software.

3) currently, my existing MIDI controllers work just fine for what I need (though not necessarily for what I want)

ossandust said:
mortega76 said:

Hi,
since I feel directly involved in this part of the discussion (as creator of LG-M and UnO), I'd like to share some thoughts (and news) :
1. No doubt, you're correct about the price of the module being too high to be good
2. You're probably correct about it being ugly too, I'm not offended. It doesn't have the correct dimensions to look good, the choices were pure functional.
3. I personally like the looks of the LG (which incorporates the same module). But even on that one many disagree. So by the end of the year there will probably be the same functionality in another, more classic housing. I can already predict the critics on that one : I will be accused of copying existing designs. But that's apparently what people are asking for - a more classic look.
4. Most (if not everything) of what you are asking here, is on my todo list for 2010. I am completely stupid mentioning this here, in this very thread where people are getting upset with vain promises... So I emphasise I'm not giving any release date yet, but one day the LG-M functionality will be available as an electronics set to be built inside the FCB1010. Optionally you will be able to replace the 2 relay outputs with 2 extra expression pedal inputs (resulting in 4 pedals in total). It should enable Axe-FX Tuner display on the FCB (if I manage to show anything relevant at all on a 2.5 digit display...). It would make your FCB1010 USB enabled. It would be cheaper than the LG-M, since it doesn't have the expensive mechanics and OLED display.
There we go, I did it. I shouldn't have mentioned. But your request was too close to what will be laying on my desk as a prototype soon. This being said, please don't start firing questions now. The only thing I can add to this is that it won't take another year to get this one on the market.
Oooooohhhhh you rock ossandust!!! I know you said no questions but... any idea on a possible price point? Any soldering involved (I suck at soldering)?

Tremonti said:
Besides a larger footprint and possibly slightly higher cost.....why not get a Liquid Foot Pro instead of waiting for the never emergence of the fabled unicorn?

Just go ahead and buy an LF Pro...I did.
I gave up waiting (i figured 18 months was long enough & my FCB1010 finally packed it in anyway).
Suddenly i have no angst about the MFC. I don't care if it is released tomorrow.
I wish i had bought the LF Pro sooner.
It's been a great weight off my shoulders.

steverosburg said:
mortega76 said:

Yeah, Mo, but you also want a chrome grill for your Axe-Fx, so I'm not sure you should be criticizing other products for their looks... :lol:

Seriously, though, looks aside -- you're going to have to pay for high-end features. I don't think the pedal jacks on the FCB can be used for expression pedal support regardless of firmware, because they're relay jacks. Xavier could probably address this directly if you were to contact him.

As others have mentioned, Behringer is producing these in the cheapest possible fashion -- every other solution out there with high-end features is using higher-quality parts and selling a relatively small number of units, and thus cost is always going to be an issue.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No doubt... Chrome with low rider glitter forest green with a picture of the virgin Mary on it too!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to photoshop the axe to look like this but I would have just butchered it!

0905_lrmp_03_z+firme_estilo_car_club+green_impala.jpg

ossandust said:
mortega76 said:

Hi,
Cool! One question, if I may -- it's not clear to me whether you are planning to offer a retrofit kit or a replacement FCB1010 which has been retrofitted appropriately. Also, as Mo suggested, a ballpark price would be very helpful in making a decision whether to wait for it, since I've been saving up for
an LG-M.

steverosburg said:
Cool! One question, if I may -- it's not clear to me whether you are planning to offer a retrofit kit or a replacement FCB1010 which has been retrofitted appropriately. Also, as Mo suggested, a ballpark price would be very helpful in making a decision whether to wait for it, since I've been saving up for an LG-M.
- no decision on pricing yet.
- no decision on release date neither. (It's not only about hardware. I want to have the new Mac editor ready too before releasing anything)
- it will be a retrofit kit. No soldering required.
- major difference with the LG-M will be the lack of (decent) display. And therefore no built-in programming menu's. Everything to be done through USB with the PC/Mac editor.

ossandust said:
steverosburg said:
Cool! One question, if I may -- it's not clear to me whether you are planning to offer a retrofit kit or a replacement FCB1010 which has been retrofitted appropriately. Also, as Mo suggested, a ballpark price would be very helpful in making a decision whether to wait for it, since I've been saving up for an LG-M.
- no decision on pricing yet.
- no decision on release date neither. (It's not only about hardware. I want to have the new Mac editor ready too before releasing anything)
- it will be a retrofit kit. No soldering required.
- major difference with the LG-M will be the lack of (decent) display. And therefore no built-in programming menu's. Everything to be done through USB with the PC/Mac editor.
Thanks for the info. I would probably do everything through the editor regardless, but will have to decide how important the display (or lack thereof) is to me versus the potential cost savings.

Re: Why wait for the Fractal Midi Pedal???? Please explain.

Ossandust, very interested in the fcb100 retro fit - if the price is reasonable, I'd buy it in heartbeat!!!

Re: Why wait for the Fractal Midi Pedal???? Please explain.

ossandust said:
It should enable Axe-FX Tuner display on the FCB (if I manage to show anything relevant at all on a 2.5 digit display...).

Two things, I imagine that you've seen the "spinning 8" tuner display like the old Zoom pedals.

The other is, perhaps before long you can get an LED display on a thin flexible plastic strip and stick on the FCB.

Flexible_LED_Screen_01.jpg

And to dream on, maybe a tiny wireless MIDI module installed in a guitar, and a couple of stick on strips for display and control. Throw in some proximity effect for a "wah probe" controlled by your fingers, or theremin & whammy effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOJTMsKR7ag

Back
Top Bottom