Why there is something, rather then nothing?

There is no nothing. Even the vacuum of space isn't a total absence of something.

The smells of space

In order for something to smell like something, there has to be something for the nerve endings of the 1st cranial (olfactory) nerve to chemically interact with in order to transmit a sensation of smell to the brain to interpret.

may sound strange, but as a kid at 6/7yrs old, and a little interested in science but having 0 knowledge of astronomy / physics ..., I would think about how the universe is described as a thing / a noun. Then I would think that, if the universe is something, then it has boundaries like every other something, and if it has boundaries, then there has to be something else beyond those boundaries since a boundary is a dividing line between one something and another something, - and so what would that other something beyond the universe's boundary be?. Then I'd feel a little weird and go back to my hotwheels, but even now 50+ yrs later, and still dim about those subjects though progressing quite far on others,, I still can't quite get my head around this whole universe business.

Last edited:
may sound strange, but as a kid at 6/7yrs old, and a little interested in science but having 0 knowledge of astronomy / physics ..., I would think about how the universe is described as a thing / a noun. Then I would think that, if the universe is something, then it has boundaries like every other something, and if it has boundaries, then there has to be something else beyond those boundaries since a boundary is a dividing line between one something and another something, - and so what would that other something beyond the universe's boundary be?. Then I'd feel a little weird and go back to my hotwheels, but even now 50+ yrs later, and still dim about those subjects though progressing quite far on others,, I still can't quite get my head this whole universe business.
You're talking about trying to understand the infinite. It's the same thing mathematicians deal with, just focusing on the physical. We humans can't grasp it.

may sound strange, but as a kid at 6/7yrs old, and a little interested in science but having 0 knowledge of astronomy / physics ..., I would think about how the universe is described as a thing / a noun. Then I would think that, if the universe is something, then it has boundaries like every other something, and if it has boundaries, then there has to be something else beyond those boundaries since a boundary is a dividing line between one something and another something, - and so what would that other something beyond the universe's boundary be?. Then I'd feel a little weird and go back to my hotwheels, but even now 50+ yrs later, and still dim about those subjects though progressing quite far on others,, I still can't quite get my head around this whole universe business.

51qJ4gpoiIS._SL500_.jpg

You might dig this.

You're talking about trying to understand the infinite. It's the same thing mathematicians deal with, just focusing on the physical. We humans can't grasp it.
There is no being that can grasp the infinite. It's outside of anyone's experience. Humans can describe it with math or physics...but no being can grasp it. Unless you attribute a consciousness to the universe, which I would certainly entertain.

Because of boredom, craving, grasping and clinging

Some schools of thought attribute the existence of something a little more positively, as being akin to a dance, or form of play.

I believe it is called Lila in Hindi. Just as a child feels that exuberant bliss of mere being so, too, might all of existence be a manner
of play that exists for its own sake, and not for the sake of an end or goal, but just to be.

Some physicists understand that since the universe's creation / Big Bang, the universe had a finite starting point and is currently expanding. The "boundary" we might see as the known universe might be the farthest reaching stars or galaxies on the edge of the expanding universe.

However, if this is just something you might discuss over a bong hit, I'll be letting myself out and heading elsewhere, first of all, because I don't smoke, but the smell of smoke is palpable in this case...

However, if this is just something you might discuss over a bong hit, I'll be letting myself out and heading elsewhere, first of all, because I don't smoke, but the smell of smoke is palpable in this case...
well, feel free to let yourself out given your suspicions - I'm not the bong type either - little to hi-strung for that shit.

well, feel free to let yourself out given your suspicions - I'm not the bong type either - little to hi-strung for that shit.
So'k, I was never too much of a One Size Fits All guy...learned my lesson after watching cartoons and thinking that I could learn more by not smoking. Those years are well-ensconced in my memory, and I've no desire to re-enact them...

Some schools of thought attribute the existence of something a little more positively, as being akin to a dance, or form of play.

I believe it is called Lila in Hindi. Just as a child feels that exuberant bliss of mere being so, too, might all of existence be a manner
of play that exists for its own sake, and not for the sake of an end or goal, but just to be.

Dancing or playing also has a root on sensual craving and boredom :D

Last edited:
Basically there was nothing and then God was all like “Big Bang all up in here” and now this. I’m skipping over some of the details.
Then, god is another name for craving, grasping and clinging 🤠

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom