Why the need for CLR or Matrix...etc.

Keg8605

Power User
Just curious after responding to a thread about qsc's. I've always wondered why the buzz over the FRFR Matrix, CLR and the like when most PA systems aren't using those brands. In other words usually the only person hearing these monitors is you the guitarist. Your direct sound is running to the PA/FOH and going through whatever speakers they have. Almost every show I do has JBL, QSC or Mackie.

I run out 1 to FOH and out 2 to ART SLA-2 with cabs. When testing my direct patches I use a JBL PRX615M. Everything sounds good through there and my next gig was a mackie system to where it sounded incredible.

I could see where a small show would be different if the audience is hearing your CLR/matrix as your backline. Or for personal use at home or in the studio. I want to know what my tone will sound like through most PA systems at home though. Wouldn't a CLR or Matrix cab be too different?

Yepp, that's the way to save money. $799.00, you just saved $200 for not having coaxial.
I'm not talking about saving money. That's my practice PA system. If I was then I would be talking about using a behringer or something.

Think you maybe missed my point. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. With the CLR's and Matrix's monitors being so flat response do your patches translate well to the PA? Since most PA's are like I said QSC, JBL, Mackie etc. Wouldn't using those speakers be better?

Last edited:
Just curious after responding to a thread about qsc's. I've always wondered why the buzz over the FRFR Matrix, CLR and the like when most PA systems aren't using those brands. In other words usually the only person hearing these monitors is you the guitarist. Your direct sound is running to the PA/FOH and going through whatever speakers they have. Almost every show I do has JBL, QSC or Mackie.

I run out 1 to FOH and out 2 to ART SLA-2 with cabs. When testing my direct patches I use a JBL PRX615M. Everything sounds good through there and my next gig was a mackie system to where it sounded incredible.

I could see where a small show would be different if the audience is hearing your CLR/matrix as your backline. Or for personal use at home or in the studio. I want to know what my tone will sound like through most PA systems at home though. Wouldn't a CLR or Matrix cab be too different?

I think the two companies are being product specific to the market place hence the buzz with respect to FAS. That said I also think that the two solutions have a different type of persons in mind, there have been several threads on the two and there differences.

I see.

Well think this way. Avarage PA stuff is not Flat these day. So they will color. They will color the "good mix" on their own way.

But, when you mix on a colored system and playing it back on another colored system, what do you get?

Flat -> Colored = Maybe

Colored -> Colored = Not, likely.

Last edited:
But, when you mix on a colored system and playing it back on another colored system, what do you get?

Well put.

Building your tones using a flat, uncoloured system provides your best shot at building patches that will elegantly translate onto various FOH systems. The tech running FOH only has only one variable to address, how his system is changing your tones. Conversely, If your patches were build on a coloured monitor there are two variables to try and overcome. He has to compensate for two sets of non-linearity, which are probably interacting with one another.

Terry.

I see.

Well think this way. Avarage PA stuffs are not Flat these day. So they will color. They will color the "good mix" on their own way.

Flat -> Colored = Maybe

Colored -> Colored = Not, likely.

True, I see the logic here. The only way my logic works is if QSC, JBL and Mackie are similar to each other. Somehow I doubt thats the case too. That's for another thread though. :) Might have to consider one of these then. $$$$

+1 on using as reference a system as you can afford for creating presets.

I have played shows with a 50$ Kustom powered 12" two-way wedge. And I have two CLR's and a Crown power amp and several good guitar cabs.

Nothing high end is necessary to perform.

If you can afford it, IMO, the higher end stuff is really cool in that you can create your presets on them and they sound virtually the same at the show. Consistent.

But I absolutely do not need perfect guitar sound on stage. I like it to be decent but crappy wedges are just something you will most likely have to put up more than once if you are an amateur gigger.

Richard

The same reason you get much better mixes that will translate well to most stereo systems when you use hi end,flat studio monitors rather than a lesser, pro-sumer type monitor.

Also, having a great, consistent sound on stage makes me play better as I am not distracted or annoyed that it doesn't sound right.

No everyone is running through mid-range PA systems. In my last band the PA a really bad sounds, unpowered Peavey system. I ended up using the CLR as a backline. Other may be using much higher-quality and flatter PA systems.

The bottom line: What inspires you to play better?

If having a CLR in your face will cause you to play better and translates well to the FOH, then go for it!

This is it right here. It's a similar reason we play an Axe instead of a POD. The audience would be happy with either one but it's how it feels under your fingers and if it inspires you to play better for them. If I sound better and am feeling inspired, I play better.

Also, having something like the CLR wedge in front of you as a monitor where you can control your guitar mix vs the rest of the band is just trick and ultra attractive. Can't wait.

I play direct only and just use active wedges (RCF) for my only stage sound and directed back at me. The other guys use IEM's. The flat response on the RCF's will be representative of what is going out front. As you say though...dial your patches up on a FR monitor beforehand, if you want to use a cab/power amp for stage noise. I am finding though, even with heavy music, a quiet stage is best and one where I am not blowing everyone's hair back. Just personal preference.

Steve

Seems obvious to me, because guitar nerds need sh*t to buy. We can never be completely satisfied, if we were they would quit making high priced sh*t for us to buy. In other words, your point is 100% valid. Now get back to buying high priced sh*t.

Absolutely right. I am perfectly happy with my JBL PMX612M but am on the CLR list!!!!!

The need for good quality monitors are as picky as you want it to be. I can do a gig with almost any rig a $200 Kustom, Jbl's, RCF, QSE, Mackie , CLR, Matrix and the one I use Xitone.
Now when I get a piece of gear for my self I want to make sure is built like a rock and has good quality. I rather play with a syntem that is a accurate as it can me...just my thought

I actually took my Axe and my Guitar to 3 of the Big stores here today, and I've been doing a lot of testing and what I've noticed is all powered speakers in the $800 - $1000 range sound and perform pretty much the same. I've tried Peavey, JBL, RCF, QSC, Mackie, Yamaha, and Yorkville so far, with no real difference between them when set up properly for use with the Axe. I would really like to try the CLR's but I ain't looking to lose a couple hundred on shipping if I don't mesh with them, or if they perform on par with all the others I've tested.

It really comes down to your application and budget IMO.

I do a lot of studio work and jammin' on my own. I wanted something that was going to give me the best sound that would be exemplary of what was getting tracked; and the best sound that would flap my pants and get me excited by the SPL - while still sounding incredible. This is not about FOH, this is not about "looking" cool. It was about the best to my ears in order to inspire, and accurately tell me what I'm getting into, and what's coming out.

I went with the active CLRs and they're absolutely awesome.

Back
Top Bottom