Why should I consider the Axe FX II? Help please!

chugsandtone

Hello everyone,

So the AXE FX II has always been in my wishlist for the last 3 years. But finally I might make the call. Just want to know from someone who has been in a similar situation like I'm right now.

I record typically guitars and at times the bass. I've been using a Presonus Audiobox 22vsl as an audio interface for the past 3 years. I use BIAS FX for recordings but somewhere it just doesn't cut through for me. It sounds too synthetic to my ears. Maybe, it might be because of the audio interface ? Guitar is an Ibanez RGD with Crunchlab and Liquifier. So right now I've two options: i. I could get a Macbook Pro 2015 with a quad core and a good interface like the Apollo Twin MKII Duo, or ii. just get the AXE FX II which I can use as an audio interface.

Usage application would primarily be for now recording but I might start playing gigs after sometime. The biggest concern for me is getting the best raw guitar tone before mixing and VST amp sims just do not sound right especially with high gain tones. If the AXE FX II does deliver, I don't mind investing. It's quiet a lot of money and I just want to be sure that I'm investing on the right piece of equipment.

Axe FX is currently the most advanced analog tube amp modeller. And still, it is rapidly improving.
If you are not happy with the level of realism of BIAS, buying a new interface and a macbook won't make BIAS sound any more realistic. The new interface may help a bit to get a cleaner signal, but nothing beats dedicated hardware in order to get the required input signal for the particular application.

Axe FX is currently the most advanced analog tube amp modeller. And still, it is rapidly improving.
Buying a new interface and a macbook won't make BIAS sound any more realistic. The new interface may help a bit, but nothing beats dedicated hardware in order to get the required input signal for the particular application.
That's a valid point! I've noticed that it sounds organic (compared to all the other amp modelers) from all the demos and videos I've watched. Does it need a lot of tweaking to get a good tone ?

You could run BIAS thru the Sunway TaihuLight in China, and it's not going to change the tone of it. It's all in the modeling & Fractal is by far the pinnacle of modeling, period. It ain't even close.
Some would even go as far as saying it's even better than the real thing, as it allows you to tweak things instantly in the virtual world that either; A) would take hours to do in the real world or B) would not be possible in the real world.

Hi Chugs,
I say this because I honestly believe it - you should buy the axe fx because you will finally be in a position that your (guitar) sound is no longer a problem. It's so good that you will sometimes just lose hours immersed in a new sound while choosing an amp, effect or cab. The only regret you'll have is how long it takes to buy it, and the time you wasted prior to that. For bass, it's not so good, but for guitar its rally one of the only two real options around - the other is the kemper in case you haven't researched that. Different methodology, but similar end result - ie: a good guitar sound.
Just do it - if you don't like it, you can sell it second hand for very little loss, but I'm tipping that won't happen. :)
Thanks
Pauly

Hello everyone,

So the AXE FX II has always been in my wishlist for the last 3 years. But finally I might make the call. Just want to know from someone who has been in a similar situation like I'm right now.

I record typically guitars and at times the bass. I've been using a Presonus Audiobox 22vsl as an audio interface for the past 3 years. I use BIAS FX for recordings but somewhere it just doesn't cut through for me. It sounds too synthetic to my ears. Maybe, it might be because of the audio interface ? Guitar is an Ibanez RGD with Crunchlab and Liquifier. So right now I've two options: i. I could get a Macbook Pro 2015 with a quad core and a good interface like the Apollo Twin MKII Duo, or ii. just get the AXE FX II which I can use as an audio interface.

Usage application would primarily be for now recording but I might start playing gigs after sometime. The biggest concern for me is getting the best raw guitar tone before mixing and VST amp sims just do not sound right especially with high gain tones. If the AXE FX II does deliver, I don't mind investing. It's quiet a lot of money and I just want to be sure that I'm investing on the right piece of equipment.

Hi Chugs,
I say this because I honestly believe it - you should buy the axe fx because you will finally be in a position that your (guitar) sound is no longer a problem. It's so good that you will sometimes just lose hours immersed in a new sound while choosing an amp, effect or cab. The only regret you'll have is how long it takes to buy it, and the time you wasted prior to that. For bass, it's not so good, but for guitar its rally one of the only two real options around - the other is the kemper in case you haven't researched that. Different methodology, but similar end result - ie: a good guitar sound.
Just do it - if you don't like it, you can sell it second hand for very little loss, but I'm tipping that won't happen. :)
Thanks
Pauly
Thanks for the info. :)
Does it need a lot of tweaking to get a good tone?

Hi again,
That depends who you ask. Personally, I can just select an amp, a cab, and a reverb block...adjust like I would a real amp (bass, treble etc) and be blown away. You don't have to dig deep to get a good sound. Perhaps in earlier firmware versions, tweaking the more esoteric parameters got closer to a real amp sound but nowadays it's uncannily real. Once again, I point out that this is just my opinion, and others may have a different idea. For me, this unit changed recorded guitar sounds forever.

Pauly

Hi again,
That depends who you ask. Personally, I can just select an amp, a cab, and a reverb block...adjust like I would a real amp (bass, treble etc) and be blown away. You don't have to dig deep to get a good sound. Perhaps in earlier firmware versions, tweaking the more esoteric parameters got closer to a real amp sound but nowadays it's uncannily real. Once again, I point out that this is just my opinion, and others may have a different idea. For me, this unit changed recorded guitar sounds forever.

Pauly
That's awesome! Can you please share any Soundcloud or Youtube links of the guitar tones you created and recorded with. Would be a great way for me to come to a concrete decision.

That's awesome! Can you please share any Soundcloud or Youtube links of the guitar tones you created and recorded with. Would be a great way for me to come to a concrete decision.
If you search YouTube and the forums here you will find hundreds of clips featuring the Axe FX.

Does it need a lot of tweaking to get a good tone ?
Think of the Axe as a guitar recording studio in a box. What you are producing is a tone of a studio recorded guitar. Good guitar recordings are done by recording professionals, sound engineers.You can't just put any dude in a studio and expect him to get good results instantly. Even with very good amps and mic's, it takes practise to get good results. Getting a good recorded tone is far harder than just cranking a tube amp through a cab at home.
That being said: The amount of tweaking is dependant on what you want to achieve or what your taste is. Also, having many choices will indeed slow you down. Think of how many times a recording engineer changes the mic position till he finds exactly what he's looking for?...

Hi again,

Pauly
I agree with Pauly....plug and play will put you in the game immediately. The tweaking allows you to move way BEYOND the original amp tones, by creating a VAST amount of new possibilities. Think of the bench tech that mods the internal tone stacks, bias etc...YOU can access most of this with a knob instead of a soldering iron. (Sorry, This might be TMI to some, I'm a old tech guy, grew up working on tube electronics.) The effects are also absolutely stellar doode. You also have SO MUCH access and control over all the aspects of the device VIA, MIDI and the UI (AxeEdit). Been using modelers since they were invented....this is the real deal.
Fractal is an awesome company! Updates (free), customer service, quality in manufacture, quality of personnel.
You can't go wrong here mate. Just read the forums.
John

Think of the Axe as a guitar recording studio in a box. What you are producing is a tone of a studio recorded guitar. Good guitar recordings are done by recording professionals, sound engineers.You can't just put any dude in a studio and expect him to get good results instantly. Even with very good amps and mic's, it takes practise to get good results. Getting a good recorded tone is far harder than just cranking a tube amp through a cab at home.
That being said: The amount of tweaking is dependant on what you want to achieve or what your taste is. Also, having many choices will indeed slow you down. Think of how many times a recording engineer changes the mic position till he finds exactly what he's looking for?...
I've seen countless videos of bands using the Axe Fx, but that's more like a post-eq sound. Just wanted to clarify on the raw tones. Just watched a few. So far it sounds great!

My tones are better than I ever got with real amps, both the recorded tones and the tones audience hears through the PA at gigs. No VST comes even within the same ballpark, and I've tried them all since the "SimulAnalog guitar suite" in 1998.

Then, on top of that, more effects than I could carry in stompbox-format, AND total control for all of them in any preset and scene. One box to rule them all, it's a no brainer really.

I've used soooo many digital amp modelers (Boss effects processors, BIAS, Peavey ReValver, Amplitube, etc etc.) and NONE of them that I've tried even comes remotely close to the Axe FX. No exaggeration, when I got mine and plugged it in the first time and strummed the first chord with the first patch, I said out loud, "Whoa this thing is on a whole other level...." Yes, it sounds incredible, but one thing you don't get from other amp modelers is the FEEL. There is a sort of tactile resistance that you don't get with other products. I've owned mine for over 2 years now and I never get tired of it. I really can't imagine owning a tube amp or anything else now. I always tell people when they ask about it: "This thing is the end of the rainbow for me. I don't need anything else. This is it."

If it's any consolation, Metallica is using 100% Axe FX on their current tour, according to a recent thread on here. Not a tube amp in sight. For a band that's VERY particular about guitar tone, I think this says a lot.

Hello everyone,

The AXE FX has been the best investment I've made last year. Never really satisfied with modellers (although I loved the advantages of having multiple amps, stomps and cabs).

And since Quantum 8.2 (firmware) its really really close to the real deal as long as you understand that using the axe fx full range (amp & cab ir) for recording its all about selecting the correct ir and mics (included in the ir). Its NOT the same as a in the room cab. With 8.2 less tweaking is needed.

So if you have the money: buy a XL or XL+ and YES it does deliver ;)

Just to add in my 2cents on the ease of tweaking etc. I'd say as long as you have a decent way of monitoring, its easy without tweaking. The few times I have personally run into some people saying how they have to tweak a lot....the issues causing the problem were "lack of decent monitoring" or "too much gain".

Fractal products have changed my life.
Even after 30 years of playing, I am learning a lot about tone and how to create it.
I would never go back.
Just amazing.
Depending on your skill level, it will take some time to get familiar with all it can do.

Just to add in my 2cents on the ease of tweaking etc. I'd say as long as you have a decent way of monitoring, its easy without tweaking. The few times I have personally run into some people saying how they have to tweak a lot....the issues causing the problem were "lack of decent monitoring" or "too much gain".

This...
You didn't say anything about your monitoring options. Please don't expect the Axe to magically improve the sound of cheap in-ears or cheap multimedia speakers.

Back
Top Bottom