Why power tubes sound different - part two ;-))

PacoCasanovasOld

Fractal Fanatic
Dear friends, Dear FAS

There's a little more to it as the output transformer plays a role as well and 6L6 power amps typically have a slightly higher impedance ratio. There's also different operating voltages and bias points but I'm trying to keep this simple.

This was the first hint from FAS what's coming next..... IMO ;)

Many of you might ask - why does 12.04b sound different? Is it just 3D magic? Why FAS now put full attention to various power tubes in the new firmware when it's just about various damping factors which could be simulated by flatten- or de-flatten the impedance curve by in- or decreasing LF Res and HF Res parameters - why FAS would add all specific tube data and the dynamic damping parameter which had different default values for each tube? I tried to explain this a bit more in detail, without getting too much into details and also to keep it as simple as possible (if some of you want to add or correct my words, feel free - I would love to get your insights on this!)

Sad part - there is no magic in electronics...there is the reality on one hand and the perfect world on the other, where a loadline in the plate characteristics would stay linear - the line from the maximum plate voltage at the perfect Class B operation point to the plate current maximum when the control grid negative voltage is zero.

this is done for the usual calculations regarding operational points, reading max plate current, plate voltages and to calculate the max. excursion of the signal in relation with plate characteristics and correct adaption for the transformer between tubes output- and primary transformer winding impedance (mostly refered to a measurement frequeny 800 - 1000Hz which is far away from a typical guitar signal).

If this is would be the reality, the dynamic resistance (ra = delta V/delta I) of a power tube circuit will remain the same over the whole frequency range. So the various ratio on various tube types between the output impedance and the impedance curve of your loadspeaker would be only tied to the theoretical assumption of the output impedance.

False.....

This is not reality....the primary winding of the output transformer is another inductance, not a linear resistance - which means, their impedance rise when the signal frequency gets higher or fall if the frequency lowers. There is now also a phase drift between voltage and current because of the inductance - this makes the loadline look more of an ellipse and has a substantial effect on all operational parameter - so the damping factor is not only tied to the interaction between the impedance curve or how good the amp „can see“ the load, it is also frequency-dependent and the amount of influence varies on different tube types and their different characteristics (now added to the power amp modeling in 12.04b)
The damping factor influences the power amp clipping, the effect most of us known as tube compression - punch when turning up the MV - and now this is not just related to the impedance curve of the load only, it is frequency dependent (and a bit more, which would makes this too theoretical here) too....so the high frequency top end clipping which make it sound more 3-D is not magic.......

I assume, this is a very complex implementation in the digital domain, and causes hard hard work! Well done FAS!

Cheers
Paco

All I know is when I changed power tubes in my Mesa Mk IV, the 'feel' would change. When I changed to Winged C 6L6s', a completely magical thing happened. The depth, the swirl, the 3D was there in spades. I have a degree in electronics (although I'm in IT now), and I can't explain it.

I just call it Magic Fairy Dust.

All I know is when I changed power tubes in my Mesa Mk IV, the 'feel' would change. When I changed to Winged C 6L6s', a completely magical thing happened. The depth, the swirl, the 3D was there in spades. I have a degree in electronics (although I'm in IT now), and I can't explain it.

I just call it Magic Fairy Dust.

;) Well, good to know for the JSC Svetlana company - this would increase their sales.....hehehe! Nope.....even there is a simple explanation. Randall Smith's company often uses special matched (mostly very cold biased) power tubes in his circuits to prevent him from massive after sales tube failures. So using a different tube in a MB circuit, matched to a bit higher operational point or different transfer conductance (which is the ratio between the output current change and input voltage change) would "opened" the tonal capabilities of a circuit radically*. Tubes by themselfs does not have a sound, but not every tube works best in any circuit design.

*PS: you have to re-biasing the fixed biasing circuit (which is sometimes a bit a pain in the ass), MB "factory sets" this for normal users, so they can change "MB" labeled power tubes by themself without risk of adjusting the bias value out of the "safe operational area" of the circuit.

Cheers
Paco

Last edited:
Some of this stuff starts to sound like quantum physics when you get really deep into the math and physical effects going on.

Nice!

But in reality, once reading through, it all looks like this to me:

Αυτή ήταν η πρώτη ένδειξη από την FAS τι έρχεται στη συνέχεια ..... IMO

Πολλοί από εσάς μπορεί να ρωτήσω - γιατί 12.04b ακούγονται διαφορετικά ; Είναι απλά 3D μαγεία; Γιατί FAS θέσει τώρα την πλήρη προσοχή σε διάφορες σωλήνες τροφοδοσίας στο νέο firmware όταν είναι ακριβώς για διάφορα απόσβεσης παράγοντες που θα μπορούσαν να προσομοιωθεί με ισοπεδώσουν ή de - ισοπεδώσουν την καμπύλη αντίστασης με το ή μείωση LF Res και HF Res παράμετροι - γιατί FAS θα προσθέστε όλα τα συγκεκριμένα δεδομένα σωλήνα και τη δυναμική απόσβεσης παράμετρος η οποία είχε διαφορετικές προκαθορισμένες τιμές για κάθε σωλήνα ; Προσπάθησα να το εξηγήσω αυτό το λίγο πιο αναλυτικά , χωρίς να πάρει πάρα πολύ σε λεπτομέρειες και επίσης να το κρατήσει όσο το δυνατόν απλούστερο ( αν κάποιοι από εσάς θέλετε να προσθέσετε ή να διορθώσετε τα λόγια μου , μην διστάσετε - Θα ήθελα πολύ να πάρετε ιδέες σας σχετικά με αυτό ! )

Sad μέρος - δεν υπάρχει μαγική στην ηλεκτρονική ... είναι η πραγματικότητα , αφενός, και τέλειο κόσμο , από την άλλη , όπου LOADLINE στα χαρακτηριστικά πλάκα θα παραμείνουν γραμμική - η γραμμή από τη μέγιστη τάση πλάκα στην τέλεια Class B σημείο λειτουργίας στην πλάκα το τρέχον μέγιστο όταν το πλέγμα ελέγχου αρνητικής τάσης είναι μηδέν .

Αυτό γίνεται για τους συνήθεις υπολογισμούς όσον αφορά τα επιχειρησιακά σημεία , διαβάζοντας μέγιστο ρεύμα πλάκα , πλάκα τάσεις και να υπολογίσει το μέγιστο . της καμπύλης του σήματος σε σχέση με τα χαρακτηριστικά πλάκα και σωστή προσαρμογή για το μετασχηματιστή μεταξύ των σωλήνων εξόδου και πρωτεύον του μετασχηματιστή εκκαθάριση αντίσταση (κυρίως refered σε συχνότητα αλλαγής μέτρησης 800 - 1000Hz που είναι πολύ μακριά από ένα τυπικό σήμα κιθάρα) .

Εάν αυτό είναι θα είναι η πραγματικότητα , η δυναμική αντίσταση ( ra = delta V / delta Ι) ενός κυκλώματος σωλήνα ενέργειας θα παραμείνει η ίδια σε όλο το φάσμα συχνοτήτων . Έτσι, τα διάφορα αναλογία σε διάφορους τύπους σωλήνων μεταξύ αντίσταση εξόδου και την καμπύλη αντίσταση του loadspeaker σας θα πρέπει να συνδέεται μόνο με τη θεωρητική υπόθεση της σύνθετης αντίστασης εξόδου .

Λάθος .....

Αυτό δεν είναι πραγματικότητα .... το πρωτεύον τύλιγμα του μετασχηματιστή εξόδου είναι ένα άλλο επαγωγή , δεν είναι μια γραμμική αντίσταση - που σημαίνει , άνοδος σύνθετη αντίσταση τους, όταν η συχνότητα του σήματος παίρνει υψηλότερη είτε να μειωθούν εάν οι χαμηλώνει συχνότητα. Υπάρχει τώρα επίσης μια μετατόπιση φάσης μεταξύ τάσης και ρεύματος , λόγω της αυτεπαγωγής - αυτό κάνει το LOADLINE φαίνονται περισσότερο μιας έλλειψης και έχει ένα ουσιαστικό αποτέλεσμα επί όλων των λειτουργικών παραμέτρων - έτσι η συντελεστής απόσβεσης δεν είναι μόνο συνδεδεμένη με την αλληλεπίδραση μεταξύ της καμπύλης εμπέδησης ή πόσο καλή είναι η amp " μπορεί να δει" το φορτίο , είναι επίσης εξαρτώμενη από τη συχνότητα και το ποσό της επίδρασης ποικίλει σε διαφορετικούς τύπους σωλήνων και των διαφορετικών χαρακτηριστικών τους ( τώρα προστίθεται στην μοντελοποίηση ενισχυτή ισχύος στην 12.04b )
Ο συντελεστής απόσβεσης επηρεάζει το απόκομμα του ενισχυτή ισχύος , το αποτέλεσμα οι περισσότεροι από εμάς είναι γνωστή ως συμπίεση σωλήνα - γροθιά , όταν το δυνάμωμα της MV - και τώρα αυτό δεν είναι μόνο σχέση με την καμπύλη αντίσταση του φορτίου μόνο , αυτό εξαρτάται από τη συχνότητα ( και λίγο Επιπλέον, η οποία θα κάνει αυτό πάρα πολύ θεωρητική εδώ ) πάρα πολύ .... έτσι η υψηλή συχνότητα άνω άκρο αποκοπής που το κάνει να ακούγεται πιο 3 - D δεν είναι μαγικό .......

Υποθέτω , αυτό είναι μια πολύ σύνθετη εφαρμογή στον ψηφιακό τομέα , και προκαλεί σκληρή σκληρή δουλειά ! Μπράβο FAS !

Cheers
Paco

@ electronpirate: English is not my native language :mrgreen

I know this, but it wasn't your english (which is very good BTW!) that was the actual text. I'm content with 'it sounds damn good'!

Seriously, I did follow most of it, however I think most of it is during my college career, most technical courses I took I was either recovering from a binge, or just getting started on one. Digging through that wool that is my brain is an arduous task!

R

I can here the differences and they are great but the fact is that not everyone is as advanced in electronics as some are here on the forum hence my comment.

My comment was a play on words and your reference to quantum physics.

It was a Niels Bohr quote: "Anybody who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it".

Niels Bohr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes it does....12.04b is a giant leap - I bet the most advanced digital "tube power amp" simulation yet up to date! :ugeek

I think its cool that as the amp modeling becomes more sophisticated, new features can be added.

E.g. the new feature to swap tube types.

In earlier firmware, I don't think it would have mattered to change tube types because it would not have affected the model that much. Now, the model is more sophisticated, so tube type has a much bigger influence on the model.

So maybe things like a Variac or other mods that didn't make sense before, now are useful, because the modeling has evolved enough to make it useful.

Back
Top Bottom