Why on earth Axe III Edit has quite a different user interface for Amp Block than the hardware?

Mark Al

Inspired
I have been using the Edit on computer all this time with Axe III, today it suddenly dawned on me that the hardware unit has a different interface, notably the unit has an Advanced page in the amp block, whose settings are scattered around different sections in Axe III Edit, this is super confusing....

Furthermore, it seems some of the settings in amp Advanced page is not even available on the Edit III, e.g. the "Definition" control in preamp, which control how bright/dark the sound is, it's such an effective tone-shaping tool.

Why aren't these two interface the same? tech debt? :)

It's because neither of those views are how all the values are saved and stored in the amp. On the physical hardware the big details summary page is the closest to a "true" representation of the model parameters, just a big list of fields and values.

The fact that they're different isn't tech debt, it's the fact they need to display a lot of values on two very different interfaces. The Axe screen itself is limited to 2 rows of 5 controls, Axe Edit can show a lot more. Axe edit can show additional knobs beside the output EQ block that won't fit on the Axe.

They could make Axe Edit look like the Axe FX screen, but it would mean more tabs with fewer options on each, and some of them less logically arranged. And it would actually be more work, because now they need to make sure both duplicate the same layout instead of just making sure all the parameters in the list are displayed somewhere.

Hi Mark,

The Advanced page of the Axe-Fx has too many parameters to fit in one Axe-Edit screen. Instead, these are grouped logically across into idealized pages. If anything, the software interface can be more intuitive, because you can see all of the top-level tab names (analogous to the RED HEADINGS on the hardware) rather than needing to remember what's down "below the fold."

Someone else answered you about Definition: it's on the Input EQ on both the Axe-Fx and in Axe-Edit.

Hi Mark,

The Advanced page of the Axe-Fx has too many parameters to fit in one Axe-Edit screen. Instead, these are grouped logically across into idealized pages. If anything, the software interface can be more intuitive, because you can see all of the top-level tab names (analogous to the RED HEADINGS on the hardware) rather than needing to remember what's down "below the fold."

Someone else answered you about Definition: it's on the Input EQ on both the Axe-Fx and in Axe-Edit.

Makes sense, thanks everyone :)

The Definition is under Preamp section in Advanced page on the unit, which is why I keep looking for it under Preamp page in the Edit o_O I guess it makes sense to have it under input EQ As well.

One parameter can appear in more than one place on the hardware. These are placed in different places for convenience. (In any case, Definition should be understood as an Input EQ control.)

Back
Top Bottom