Why not much love for the EVM12L?

Chiguete

Experienced
With many players (both legendary british guitarists and bassists) used them in their 80s records I've would had guessed that there will be more love for them in the cab IR world.

Probably my favorite speaker. Adds an insane amount of weight to any sound while being pretty neutral. It's addicting to hear a speaker with that much headroom never breaking a sweat, but I could see how people who adore v30's and more compressed speakers would be turned off

Are the IR‘s in Cab Pack 17 from Cliffs Rumble-Cab in the stock library of the AxeFx III? Or are there only old shots of this Cab?

I love my 12l in my Mesa Thiele Cab. So fat! But I dont find any shots of the EV 12l that sound like this Boogie Thiele. I just tried Cab Pack 17´s Rumble shots:. Maybe it´s the best IR of EV 12l I heard until now.

I'm starting to explore the IR aspect of EVM12Ls more, but I love using them in my 2x12 cabs with a power amp.

I am a big fan of the EVM12L. I use the Axe III with 2 Mesa Thiele 1x12s loaded with EVM12Ls and it is such a joy and inspiration to play through. There are very few amp models that don't get along with the EVs for my tastes. I am settled with those as physical cabs. However, I find that I go through phases of different EV IRs regularly.

Whether they are from forum members, Ownhammer, ML Soundlab, Dr. Bonkers, etc. it all depends on my mood and what the music seems to require. However, I do very much enjoy the stock Rumble cabs. Currently, my favorite combination is the:
Factory 2: 4x12 Rumble 12-L 4047 A in combination with the Factory 2: 4x12 Rumble 12-S 4047 B.

They are on the darker side, but nothing that can't be compensated for. I like this combination because it leaves the overdrive sounds more "natural" to my ear. Other EV IRs I have encountered sound good, but don't always capture the qualities I like in the speaker and seem more "unnatural" or "processed." Although in a mix, they work fine.

Even the thought of a 4x12 cab loaded with EVM-12L hurts my back.
That's probably why I don't like them. And by the way too sterile and hi-fi.
So not bad at all for 80s clean sounds ;)

Even the thought of a 4x12 cab loaded with EVM-12L hurts my back.
That's probably why I don't like them. And by the way too sterile and hi-fi.
So not bad at all for 80s clean sounds ;)were developed
IIRC, EV developed the 12Ls as mid range drivers for PAs. They were designed for minimum coloration and high power handling, which was great for those of us who had racks with digital signal processing after our preamps and needed more clean reproduction. They certainly handled low end better than any Celestions I ever had.

I have custom ported cabinets tuned for the EVM-12L and they are so good at handling low end that our bass player uses them too. A vintage SVT through two of those is the best rock bass sound I’ve ever heard.

I don’t know if any MI manufacturers ever designed an enclosure around the 12L, but if there is such a thing I would be very interested to see how they chose to tune it. Doing it right is expensive and heavy, my 4x12’s are made out of 1” marine grade plywood and with speakers weigh over 150. Just swapping them into a regular infinite baffle 4 x 12 will probably not yield the best results…

IIRC, EV developed the 12Ls as mid range drivers for PAs.
Absolutely correct. When we were developing our 4-way touring cabinets in 1984 (back when you had to build your own) we did a double-blind test between the 12L's and their JBL/Gauss competitors, with two 12's per box handling the low-mids . The EVM's won hands-down, but we ended up using the JBL's b/c the rest of the components (LF, MR and HF) were all JBL and it was easier to tell clients the rig was "all JBL". That said, the 12L's were the shit for LM: smooth, punchy and efficient.

Back
Top Bottom