Why not much love for the EVM12L speaker?

I picked up a Thiele IR that has an EV SRO in it at some point. I have had both a pair of EVM12Ls and and EVM12L and EV SRO pairing in a Fender Twin at some point in the '90s. The word 'heavy' feels like a lie if not modified by at least an F-bomb when describing that amp. I had the big 3" snap-in wheels, thankfully. Rolled it past the TV once, and it pulled all the colors but green to the bottom of the screen, where they stayed for a month. The wife was not nearly as amused with this as I was. :D

Oh hell yess!! They weigh a bloody ton. So much mass in my IIC- combo, with that speaker! I probably still walk with my right shoulder closer to the ground than my left! 😂😳
The MS12 Black Shadow wasn't a helium-infused feather either. I know that feel, bro....

The MS12 Black Shadow wasn't a helium-infused feather either. I know that feel, bro....

Very true! My other guitarist bought his Boogie after playing mine. He decided not to splurge and got the Black Shadow instead of the EV. I couldn’t tell much if any diff between our amps, regarding their weight. And wouldn’t you know, his arrived and was the IIC+! Not that any of that meant anything to us in 1983/1984. Lol

Very true! My other guitarist bought his Boogie after playing mine. He decided not to splurge and got the Black Shadow instead of the EV. I couldn’t tell much if any diff between our amps, regarding their weight. And wouldn’t you know, his arrived and was the IIC+! Not that any of that meant anything to us in 1983/1984. Lol
I got mine around then, too. 60W with EQ, cream/white tolex. SN #12118.

Thanks Leon. I noticed that only the IRs identified as mixed in the names, shows a capture curve. All the other seem to be a flat line, when looking to align in AxeEdit. What am I doing wrong?? Cheers
The Align tab shows the graphic for each "active" IR in the Cab block.

If it doesn't show then you've got that IR muted.

The EV-12L is a wonderful speaker, for clean and for dirty. One of my favorites.

But only if you have the luxury of playing loud. It's too stiff, brittle and sterile at low volume levels.

The EV-12L is a wonderful speaker, for clean and for dirty. One of my favorites.

But only if you have the luxury of playing loud. It's too stiff, brittle and sterile at low volume levels.
I wonder how that would manifest in an IR capture. Would you need to capture at high volume? That's not usually a thing afaik, but I've never created an IR myself, not an expert by any means.

Interesting. I prefer them at moderate levels.

I love them. Have quite a few. Think I got them from OH long ago. I still use them. I play for a long time with a MusicMan 112 RD50 for many, many years. Beautiful EV12L in it made the sound huge. Alas I sold it because my back told me to...........wish I still had it. Always enjoyed the hybrid MuscMan combo amps. Owned a few different thru my life. All gone...........

Interesting cab! Seems hard to capture. Did you mic both types of speakers?
Of course. The upper speakers are MC-90 Black Shadows, they belong to my absolute faves. We mic every speaker from the cabinets we capture with every mike, including midfield and farfield IRs.
As the EV-12Ls are really interesting speakers, I like the MC-90 Black Shadows more, so I'm very happy, that we found this Halfback cab with both speaker types in it.

BTW: This was one of the first cabs from our "V2" series, so there are some mic-types missing and other ones appeared.

The used microphones were:
AKG D202, AKG C-414, Sennheiser e906, Sennheiser MD421, Shure Sm57, Shure Sm7-B, Audix i5, sE Electronics V7X, 4400aII, sE8 and X1R (Ribbon)

Back
Top Bottom