Why no secret sauce in the back?

Metal1993

Inspired
Ok I was reading the Metallica rigrun down, and have seen a few mods say on here that most of the pros all use the rear inputs in the axe for a variety of reason. So why is the secret sauce not set up for the rear inputs then?

My theory would be that it has more to do with using wireless and wanting to keep the front of the rack nice and tidy.

Because the rear inputs are designed for line level signals, not guitar input. In Metallica's case, they are using wireless, so the input going into the Axe II is line level (from the wireless unit's preamp). The wireless unit between also acts as a buffer in front of Axe II's input, so the secret sauce variable input impedance circuit would be of little use. They also use mostly active EMG pickups as well, which also have a low impedance buffered output.

LOL. good point Yek! I HAD to read this one for obvious reasons. That being said, it does bring up an interesting point. I am currently using a Line6 G-50 wireless to feed my AXE 2 black box. Does anyone know if front or back inputs make a difference with this particular wireless system?

LOL. good point Yek! I HAD to read this one for obvious reasons. That being said, it does bring up an interesting point. I am currently using a Line6 G-50 wireless to feed my AXE 2 black box. Does anyone know if front or back inputs make a difference with this particular wireless system?
+1 here

When you have to address the rear input the mind can only go to one place, or wait... 2places as I was referring to the guitar world not the other

I'm not sure about wireless receivers outputting and line level. That doesn't make any sense to me, as running a line level into a real amp would overload it easily.

It's probably more about buffers than levels. A wireless receiver's output is probably closer to a buffered instrument level than anything line level. The presence of the buffer therefore makes the secret sauce irrelevant anyway since all the input-Z stuff only works when you plug a guitar directly into the front.

Try plugging your guitar into a non-true bypass pedal and then compare the front and back inputs for yourself.

Some wireless receivers have an XLR line level output.

Sure do. Often times the receivers for wireless guitar and wireless microphones are the same exact units.

Assuming most are using a 1/4" unbalanced cable between the receiver and the axe. In that case I believe what I said still holds true.

good to know. I'll try using cable in the front method and see if there is a difference. I use fuzz pedal a lot for my lead tones and know that it can make a big difference in sound if they are not first in line for an analog set up. I'll report back my findings. thanks guys for continuing this thread.

Hmmm,

I've actually got my Line6 G75 going into the front, which is a pain as I've had to drill a hole in my rack case and make a custom angled lead which obstructs my Out 2 level control.
So would my wireless system run at line level output?

Edit:
Actually its a XD-V75 Receiver which is primarily used as a Mic Receiver

Last edited:
My Senn D1 wireless unit - and my L6 G90 before that - are rack mounted above the Axe and connect to the REAR input.
Live, I haven't noticed a discernible difference. YMMV

Because the rear inputs are designed for line level signals, not guitar input. In Metallica's case, they are using wireless, so the input going into the Axe II is line level (from the wireless unit's preamp). The wireless unit between also acts as a buffer in front of Axe II's input, so the secret sauce variable input impedance circuit would be of little use. They also use mostly active EMG pickups as well, which also have a low impedance buffered output.

This is good info...

I'm not sure about wireless receivers outputting and line level. That doesn't make any sense to me, as running a line level into a real amp would overload it easily.

It's probably more about buffers than levels. A wireless receiver's output is probably closer to a buffered instrument level than anything line level. The presence of the buffer therefore makes the secret sauce irrelevant anyway since all the input-Z stuff only works when you plug a guitar directly into the front.

Try plugging your guitar into a non-true bypass pedal and then compare the front and back inputs for yourself.
This.

The wireless receiver has a low-impedance output—much lower than a guitar's impedance.

Back
Top Bottom