Why no RELAYS in new fractal products ?

Thomas Obester

Experienced
Ola guys,

wondering which multi fx floorboard to use with my Friedman JJ ?
It should have relays for amp switching as there is no midi on JJ,
It should be quiet in 4CM and all in one box.
I think the fractal fx8 mkII has that all covered, but it´s already discontinued,
Fm3 has no relays, axe III also no relays.
Don´t wanna go traditional route using stomboxes with xy cables and midi switcher.
I looked for alternatives, read to many complaints about line6 HX effects, especially about buffering, tone suck, etc.
I don´t need unit with amp modeling, IR´s for FOH are welcomed but not mandatory.
Any thoughts ?
thanks in advance !

No real need to post the same thread in multiple places.

Axe-Fx products with amp modeling traditionally have no relays because majority of users will use amp modeling and pay for relays they won’t ever use. The FX8 was specifically designed for use with real amps so it had relays. Perhaps relays aren’t very popular as it’s been discontinued and no following products have them.

I expect to not see relays in future gear with amp modeling for the reason stated.

Reactions: Ole
Ok Chris, sorry for the spam then, wasn´t sure in which section should I write.
thanks for your reply.
Fair points, but what about people, who still like to use they favourite tube amps and would like to use fractal for fx only and don´t wanna look for other companies products ?

Ok Chris, sorry for the spam then, wasn´t sure in which section should I write.
thanks for your reply.
Fair points, but what about people, who still like to use they favourite tube amps and would like to use fractal for fx only and don´t wanna look for other companies products ?
Only fractal can answer that. Generally they add what majority will use for various reasons. Maybe if enough people want it, it can happen.

If not you can check products like Nobels MS4 that, via midi, do that same job. Axe fx Ii and ax8 midi implementation is quite limited but I think it can send PC messages on patch change via a midi PCvalue table which IF possible at least would permit one channel (only one I guess...) switching per patch by sending the PC to the MS4. Some midi controllers do have relay outputs also, or the ability to control the MS4 directly over another midi channel. In that case you could switch channel per scene for example or via a direct link to a button of your midi controller.
I do not know if FC6 has relay outputs.

BTW; another reason I could think of, for not integrating relays, would be a reliability subject. First of all a relay is a mechanical part subject to failures and before all....so many people would try to switch the 230Vac rack light on with this and then make a call for warranty..that a huge flow of units would be under constant repair. I guess the price for the additional hardware in the unit would be close to the price for a separate switcher; which definitely would eliminate such an option. Just my 2 cents.

If you get a midi to relay switcher device like the RJM amp gizmo (now discontinued) or the Voodoo Lab control switcher (what I use) then you can switch the channels on just about any amp using the MIDI commands in the Axe products.

Why not get a used FX8, it will do everything you need, yes discontinued but still a fantastic unit, miles ahead of the HX FX

Reactions: Ole
Because its whole purpose to exist is to replace entire rigs, and you can get midi controlled relay boxes from a bunch of places for cheap, plus most high end amps have midi functionality built in...

Last edited:
Why not get a used FX8, it will do everything you need, yes discontinued but still a fantastic unit, miles ahead of the HX FX
I have one for sale, UK. 😀

The Voodoo Labs control switcher will do the job via MIDI if you have no relays. 👍

Back
Top Bottom