Why no NJ/NYC AFX II Summit?

Swabere

Inspired
Why are all the West Coast people having all the fun? As a new Axe user I would love to see one out here. I would be willing to help set it up if enough people are interested, but it would be great if some of the more advanced users were involved. Who is in?

TOPICS
-Live setups
-Cab vs Speakers
-Acoustic Instruments through Axe (guitar, bouzouki, sitar, mandolin)

EQUIPMENT
-Axe Fx 2 xl
-MFC-101
-QSC K12
-Laptop Windows

Last edited:
Why are all the West Coast people having all the fun? As a new Axe user I would love to see one out here. I would be willing to help set it up if enough people are interested, but it would be great if some of the more advanced users were involved. Who is in?

Hi Swabere,

Yes, please count me in.

We were trying to organize one in Queens at Astoria Soundworks (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/89786-anyone-queens-ny.html). Unfortunately, I've been inundated with work. I'm hopeful this will settle down in the next week or two, but the thought is still there.

Perhaps we can merge this idea? If there is interest in NYC area (yes, you too N.J.), then it would probably make sense to host it elsewhere (Manhattan?), instead of Queens. Aside from the geography, I would guess we would need to figure out an estimated head count in order to decide on a venue (studio)? Or do you already have a location in mind?

I was hoping to figure out a way to find a sponsor, but being Fractal is sold direct it makes it hard to get any interest from a Music stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc...).

It would also be nice to have an actual agenda, instead of a chaotic shred fest. I'd like to think everyone could at the end leave with some gained knowledge about the "Axe FX".

At the moment, I was thinking a topic of discussion could be about performing "live" with the Axe FX? I see a lot of user seem to struggle in this area and it would be nice to debunk some myths. Choices of "FOH", "FRFR" or "Real Cabinet". Not about which is better, but how you can get a great sound (tone) with any of the options.

While I don't consider myself an "authoritative" source, I would like to share my positive experiences and approaches that I have found to be successful for different strategies. No doubt, I'm sure others will have plenty to add on their approaches and techniques.

I'll also mention; I wish I was "rich", then I would try fly in some the "Axe-perts" in from around the world (Yek, Scott Peterson, Cooper Carter, or anybody else I may have forgotten). Learned a lot from all of these guys and many other on the forum. Kudos!

That's my thought... I'm hopefully we can all meet soon.

Cheers!

This seems like it will actually happen! I live in NJ (near PA-phillipsburg) so I am not too familiar with NY studios and will need help with the booking. I don't have a problem with driving out there. We can also start a list of things we would cover. We can also have it so that people can bring different cabs so we can hear the differences (I have the QSC K12 I can bring).

I was hoping to figure out a way to find a sponsor, but being Fractal is sold direct it makes it hard to get any interest from a Music stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc...)!

Well, we would need guitars, speakers and cabs :). It would be great too if anyone has a Mission Gemini that we could hear!

Well, we would need guitars, speakers and cabs :). It would be great too if anyone has a Mission Gemini that we could hear!

I would like to bring a diversified array of setup options if possible. FRFR and traditional cabinets, tube and solid state amps, obviously a Axe FX and probably a laptop. Provided of course on contingency of time, location and how many others would like to participate. There maybe some gear already wherever we do this.

While I don't mind if some else plays my guitar, it may be in your best interest to at least bring your own. Reason being; A preset can sound vastly different between instruments (pickups, wood, Strat vs. Les Paul, etc.).

Agreed! Everyone should bring their own guitar, but if possible we should each try to bring different ones 1 Les Paul, 1 Ibenez, 1 Strat (for variety)

Why are all the West Coast people having all the fun?

Because WE did the work! :)

The AxeFests we did in SoCal were presentations by various power users and performances by artists. I am thinking your "summits" will be more participatory with respect to the audience/users. Regardless, I would suggest to you and any others planning similar events to:

1. Definitely create a schedule. If not you will waste a large portion of your day deciding what to do next and setting it up.
2. Create a list of attendees and get commitments
3. Collaborate with the committed attendees and decide what gear you will need to accommodate the schedule.
4. Have backup contingences in case someone who is bringing an important piece of gear backs out.
5. Cables, cables, cables! Nothing is worse than having everything all set up and coming up a cable short.

Time really flies by quickly on the actual day so you need to have a couple gaps for breaks and/or to accommodate parts of your schedule that may have run longer than expected. If you need any assistance feel free to PM me. I've done two of these things and it can be very time consuming from an organizational aspect. If I can help you avoid any pitfalls I am more than willing to share our experiences.

Take whatever advice and/or help Cobbler (Graig) offers. That man worked his ass off on both Axe-feast's......

I'll definitely be reaching out to you Cobbler (if that is your real name!) I would really like this to be a learning gathering instead of a "listen to this riff" hangout. It would also be nice to get to know the axe community in the area (and learn some cool riffs). I also wouldn't mind getting together on a small scale with a few people to get a better understanding of what we are looking to get out of this. I am such a new user (but old guitar guy) I'm not ever sure what questions to ask. Besides this forum if anyone wants to be added to a mass text or email list to discuss I would be open to that too.

Joseph

Actually, my first live gig with the Axe is tomorrow (Outdoor festival in Glenn Gardner, NJ) so I will have a better idea of what questions to ask tomorrow night! I think this is going to be a very chilli leaning experience.

well then the city would prob be difficult. there are some studios in westchester but i think that would be too much travel for people.. I think queens or bkln might be better since there are more artists there but parking isn't as good

Axe Fest in NYC is scheduled for September!

axe2b_zpsvu91qyhz.jpg

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/nyc-axe-fest-2016-sept-10th.116435/#post-1398926

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom