Why no expression pedal?

ZenSonic

I am wondering why Fractal Audio opted not to integrate an expression pedal into the FX8? As someone who likes to consolidate my gear into a compact package one or two pedals would have been appreciated. That being said, I plan on buying one as soon as I am contacted from the waiting list.

I am wondering why Fractal Audio opted not to integrate an expression pedal into the FX8? As someone who likes to consolidate my gear into a compact package one or two pedals would have been appreciated. That being said, I plan on buying one as soon as I am contacted from the waiting list.

I would think its so you could have your own choice on what you prefer. A lot of people, including me, like particular exp pedals for their particular throw. Plus it eliminates an additional mechanical element making it less likely to need to be sent in for repair :)

So many reasons come to mind...

• They wear down faster in comparison to the rest of the parts that are in the unit. And who wants to lose their entire pedalboard because you had to send it in for an expression pedal repair?
  • It'd require a *very* custom enclosure, which means higher costs and more difficult manufacturing
  • They're very personal -- people like different pedals for different reasons
  • It adds considerable weight -- people who want it "light" would complain
  • You can't please all of the people all of the time -- ultimately, there'll be some people who love everything about the FX-8 and some people who think it should have had A and B and not C. Because...people.

Fractal builds products to last. Any older MIDI controller I've used with a built-in expression pedal (like the Lexicon R1) had no end of trouble with the expression pedal -- they just aren't durable enough. You don't want to tie non-durable components to an otherwise durable platform. Strongest as the weakest link and all that...

You would think one would be minimal, two the norm and three plus a rarity. But in the end, the cost and weight would increase. Plus as an add-on purchase, Fractal can charge more for their expression pedals than if they were integrated..

Back
Top Bottom