Why no Effects Forum?

Joero6

Inspired
We have so many different options in the Forum such as Axe Fx, Cabs, Controllers, Routing, and even Off Topic and For Sale/Wanted. When it comes to effects, they seem to be scattered all over the place. Now before somebody says we have a forum for patches, yes...yes we do. However, those seem to be mostly people sharing entire rigs for Dokken songs or People programming the Ultimate Eric Johnson tone. That's fine, and I too look for certain artist rigs too sometimes. That's what that forum should be for in my opinion. I would like to see a dedicated effects Forum tab for just effects. I have gotten some really great clean and dirty tones and am now looking for dedicated effects to use on them, and that's when I noticed when searching for those effects, they are scattered. I would love to be able to scroll through and see these put into one location. It would be nice to see people's takes on classic pedals. I thought about this because I was setting up a Boss OC-2 sound last night and once I got close, I wasn't even sure where to post it. Can we please get an Effects Forum? I'm sure I am not the only user who would like this. Joe

I come across this a lot lately. I have a great tone, but I want to try chorus on it...or a Phaser. I play around with those, and then think Hmmmmm I wonder what others tried for chorus and Phaser. Or I think man a (insert certain brand and model effect here) would sound great here. Well, at that point I have to spend time trying to get it to sound right which is not easy if you are new to the system like I am. If I can see how somebody else did it, it helps me understand how to program it myself. When I use somebodys preset, I always set it up manually one knob at a time. Then I can hear what each knob is doing and how it changes the overall sound. But man it would be great if you were looking for a (insert certain brand and model effect here), and there were 10 different peoples takes on it. Joe

As a fairly new user, I would have thought that we would already have an established sub for effects but that is not the case. The effects were what really got me to go with the Axe FX. I already had an amp and cab tone I was happy with, but being able to ditch a 20 space rack with complex wiring and tons of stomp boxes was a major factor. Now understand, I don't mind putting in the work to get the effects sounds I want as I had to do that with my amps in the Axe. However, being able to compare effects tones you create with others (just like we do with amps and cabs) really helps you get what you are going for as well as gives you a great platform to start. I would love for example to go in and see a post that says...let's say Boss OC-2 Octave. There is a preset to download, and a description. Then the next person says nice, but I do this. etc,etc,etc. There are so many different effects and companies all with their own unique sounds. Soooooooo many options! Joe

As the FX are largely common across Axe-FX, AX8 and FX8... if created, it should go in the 'GENERAL TOPICS' group.
I would rather see it in it's own sub....the reason is to be able to easily browse just effects patches without having to scroll through a million posts about which input for wireless, what power amp sounds best, etc. Joe

Good idea...A great place to start, and I presume it'll be ok with @simeon , but he offered an amazing selection of delays and presets for fw19 and the blocks he shares are great

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/50-delay-blocks-and-15-presets-available-v19.100655/

I'll second this. @simeon's delays are great. I even kicked him a modest donation (which is a little out of character for me, based on my opinions concerning the whole "selling presets" thing.) Definitely check them out.

I would like to see a dedicated forum just for effects, just a general how to use them, what the effect does, what the knobs do, what is the most common use (settings) and whats not, how to use them in combinations, using the MFC to control different parameters, there are so many combinations it's mind numbing....

I like this idea as well. I've thought about adding a thread from time to time about "what effect is this?" Etc. I'm a fairly straight up rock and metal player from the 80's I tend to use amp, cab, delay, chorus, and wah. Over the last few years I've branched out into a lot of things and I've heard so many sounds and effects in music that I have a vague idea of what's being used but wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to go about it. I'd love to see an effects only section where it's all kept together. One of my examples (an old song) is Nazereth "love hurts" I always thought it was a chorus years ago. I'm still not a 100% sure but is it a rotovibe or flanger? I think a sub forum for these kinds of things would be awesome for effects only setups and advice.
+1 for me!!!

I like this idea as well. I've thought about adding a thread from time to time about "what effect is this?" Etc. I'm a fairly straight up rock and metal player from the 80's I tend to use amp, cab, delay, chorus, and wah. Over the last few years I've branched out into a lot of things and I've heard so many sounds and effects in music that I have a vague idea of what's being used but wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to go about it. I'd love to see an effects only section where it's all kept together. One of my examples (an old song) is Nazereth "love hurts" I always thought it was a chorus years ago. I'm still not a 100% sure but is it a rotovibe or flanger? I think a sub forum for these kinds of things would be awesome for effects only setups and advice.
+1 for me!!!
Yeah, picking out certain effects is tricky sometimes. Your ear will hear a Rotovibe and it ends up being maybe a phaser or chorus turned all the way up. Joe

I'll chime in here: I think sub-divisions should be made sparingly. Fragmentation in a forum structure is terrible, especially if the forum post volume is low. You're already seeing it with the OP's post: it's hard to find things because there are so many places to check.

If I was arguing for any changes it would be for a reduction in forums. Move towards something simpler: a single forum for each major product line. That's it. You can use post subject flags for bug/wish/fixed type indicators on posts. You can use tags for organization and search enhancement.

Making yet another sub-forum doesn't automatically solve the can't-find-stuff problem. You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink. That principal applies soundly here. Just making the sub-forum doesn't guarantee you organization. There's not a lot done to ensure content is being placed in the correct sub-forums. There's nearly nothing done to ensure thread topics stay focused.

Ultimately your best bet for finding content is getting good with the search tool. And the search tool on this site is backed by ElasticSearch -- so it's pretty darn good.

I'll chime in here: I think sub-divisions should be made sparingly. Fragmentation in a forum structure is terrible, especially if the forum post volume is low. You're already seeing it with the OP's post: it's hard to find things because there are so many places to check.

If I was arguing for any changes it would be for a reduction in forums. Move towards something simpler: a single forum for each major product line. That's it. You can use post subject flags for bug/wish/fixed type indicators on posts. You can use tags for organization and search enhancement.

Making yet another sub-forum doesn't automatically solve the can't-find-stuff problem. You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink. That principal applies soundly here. Just making the sub-forum doesn't guarantee you organization. There's not a lot done to ensure content is being placed in the correct sub-forums. There's nearly nothing done to ensure thread topics stay focused.

Ultimately your best bet for finding content is getting good with the search tool. And the search tool on this site is backed by ElasticSearch -- so it's pretty darn good.
I don't agree with you on this one, and here is why. By your logic, you consolidate subs into fewer forums being model specific (Axe,Axe Ultra,Etc). All this does is force you to search even more...Now while I will agree that the search tool works great this still adds to the existing problem. If I can go to a sub forum and search a specific effect, it will allow me to find it and get back to playing much quicker. If I am doing a general search, the outcome is cluttered with every post that might have just mentioned it. If I need to find say a setting for a whammy pedal, I don't want to scroll through 1000 posts of people talking about Tom Morello to find 1 post with examples of setting up the whammy for certain sounds. I really see it being no different than presets, just one effect at a time. Effects make up the major part of a ton of presets, and we have Both the Preset exchange and Axechange for those. Joe

If I can go to a sub forum and search a specific effect, it will allow me to find it and get back to playing much quicker.
My point is that limiting your searches to certain sub-forums is operating under the false assumption that the information you seek is well-curated so it only appears under that sub-forum. People spread information all over this site and it's not curated or maintained in a way that would make this assumption correct.

So the sub-forum doesn't actually help you. Really, it hurts. Doubly so when we're talking about effects since effect blocks are largely share-able between the different major product lines now.

If I am doing a general search, the outcome is cluttered with every post that might have just mentioned it. If I need to find say a setting for a whammy pedal, I don't want to scroll through 1000 posts of people talking about Tom Morello to find 1 post with examples of setting up the whammy for certain sounds. I really see it being no different than presets, just one effect at a time. Effects make up the major part of a ton of presets, and we have Both the Preset exchange and Axechange for those. Joe

You're hoping that people will keep their posts in an effects section to something that would making searching them easier. I'm telling you, having seen years of data on this forum now, that people will not keep posts to "Here is a setting for effect X that mimics Y" type posts. Same mess, different pile.

It sounds like what you really want is block support in Axe-Change. So you can search for "wha" and "morello" and get back something useful you can use in your particular presets.

Back
Top Bottom