Why no Effects Forum?

My point is that limiting your searches to certain sub-forums is operating under the false assumption that the information you seek is well-curated so it only appears under that sub-forum. People spread information all over this site and it's not curated or maintained in a way that would make this assumption correct.

So the sub-forum doesn't actually help you. Really, it hurts. Doubly so when we're talking about effects since effect blocks are largely share-able between the different major product lines now.

You're hoping that people will keep their posts in an effects section to something that would making searching them easier. I'm telling you, having seen years of data on this forum now, that people will not keep posts to "Here is a setting for effect X that mimics Y" type posts. Same mess, different pile.

It sounds like what you really want is block support in Axe-Change. So you can search for "wha" and "morello" and get back something useful you can use in your particular presets.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't feel it's always the case. I understand that people post things where the want. Sometimes they get moved to the right sub, sometimes not. However, when I go to preset exchange sub...it is mostly presets. So if I choose to, I can just scroll through that and see if anything catches my eye. More times than not though, it doesn't because I am not into the majority of Artists being shared. HOWEVER, if I was able to do this with just effects presets...it might be an entire different case. For my tastes, I have always used effects as a way to write something different...so being able to just browse like that would be a welcome alternative to searching broadly through the entire history of the website. If you don't find it useful, that's fine and no offense intended but just don't use it then. I know there are several subs I never even open as well. To me though (and apparently several others agree) it could be a welcomed addition to the forum. By no means do I expect it to be perfect (as no sub forum is). I just feel it could save myself as well as others time when searching for specific effects. I also feel that if you sell a device that allows you to tons of amps, effects, and cabinets...and have dedicated forums it only makes sense to offer an effects forum as well. Joe

Apparently, a while back there was The Mother-of-all-pedal-and-effectemulations-thread for Axe-FX II. This is what I would like to see again! Joe

That's what I would like to see. Joe
Yeah - it would be good to see something that is integrated with Axe Edit/ AX8 Edit, where you can search a database and import blocks directly into your signal chain.

Would also make it much easier for people to upload blocks too, which means more chance for the database to grow and becoming a good resource.

I think it is a good idea. A new sub forum encourages people to post about these subjects, and other people to check the topics.
If I had a question about the Chorus block, I would probably post it in the Ax8 forum as I have an Ax8. But what if the guy with the right answer has AxeFX or FX8? Chances are, he does not see my post. I certainly don't read every forum on a daily basis. An FX block forum, would be on my must read list.

I'd be all over this. The effects seems to be where I have more of a challenge to find what I like rather than the amps....well...cabs give me grief too...but yes...effects sub forum. I like it.

I get, where @iaresee wants to go by reducing the number of forums though. I just don't think ordering the forum by product is the right way to go. There are way too much common ground between the different products.

I would make a "Fractal Recordings" forum rather than the current "AxeFX Recordings", an "FX blocks" Forum, a "Cab/IR forum", maybe even an "amp block" forum. It might also make sense to have a common tone matching (how do I get this tone, not necessarily related to the tone match block) forum. Then of course, we still need smaller forums for the specific products, Ax8, FX8, AxeFX and MFC (these would all have Bugs, wish list and maybe preset exhange)

I get, where @iaresee wants to go by reducing the number of forums though. I just don't think ordering the forum by product is the right way to go. There are way too much common ground between the different products.

I would make a "Fractal Recordings" forum rather than the current "AxeFX Recordings", an "FX blocks" Forum, a "Cab/IR forum", maybe even an "amp block" forum. It might also make sense to have a common tone matching (how do I get this tone, not necessarily related to the tone match block) forum. Then of course, we still need smaller forums for the specific products, Ax8, FX8, AxeFX and MFC (these would all have Bugs, wish list and maybe preset exhange)
I agree, because all questions have a place. I also understand where people post where they want and it is not always in the right area. But no effects sub at all? To me that is just weird....I don't normally look for a complete preset tone, just new effects to play with so I do think effects should be seperated from presets. Joe

I'd also merge the Axe-FX II User Cabs and IRs into the User Cabs and IRs in general, and do away with the axe specific one... always seemed odd that there's two of those.

I think it might just be better to have a "Fractal General" (what the Axe-Fx II Discussion forum seems like 99% of the time anyways) for all block related questions (effects, amps, etc), the Fractool posts, etc (but then again amp block posts or Fractool posts might annoy FX8 owners... ). Seems like there's maybe enough differences in the units that a "How do I get Tone X?" questions might be better suited for the device specific forums as if someone is asking, they can focus the question to "how do I get my unit to approximate this sound" and get help from folks who know those units best w/o having people give suggestions only to be met with "ax8 doesn't have feedback loops, or fx8 doesn't have resonator, or only axe-fx has multi-chorus" or whatever replies...

Guess the moral of the story is can't make everyone happy all the time.

I'm +1 on a block section of axechange for sure though, that would be great. If the *-Edit Tools could interface w/ the axechange databases directly and natively for download/upload, all the better. Such functionality might drive more use of them even more, and crowd sourcing "please model effect pedal x... no need, the box can already do it, just twiddle these parameters" type concerns. Also an up vote/down vote system would be great for getting the best of bread stuff to bubble to the surface. A global library of cool blocks would be a great value added benefit to the fractal ecosystem (not that the fractal ecosystem need even more value added, there's so danged much as is after all :) )

I agree with everybody on this. The reason for this post is as follows. With the Axe Fx, if I wanted to sound like Let's say Eddie Van Halen, I can go to axechange or the tone match sub, or the preset exchange. DONE! If I want to tey out a new Amp, I can pretty much do the same thing, or install one from scratch and get a YEK setting as a jumping point. DONE! However, If I want to play one of my own songs for instance, that in itself is another story. Getting a close guitar tone was pretty easy and straight forward, but the effects...not so much. I am used to looking at 2-4 knobs on most of them and know how to get the tones I want/need. Most of us have go to pedals that we have used for years and grown up using. I had to completely build my Boss OC-2 Sound from the ground up, and it took a lot of tweaking to get certain delays happening. This of course is because I am used to mostly stomp boxes, not programming to sound like them. Now that I have a few settings, I am more than happy to share them, as I am sure most people are. Give us a specific place as to not clutter the existing forum. It would be sweet to try out pedals I have never used, but I have no idea how to set up a tone for them (because I never had one) and that I think is the biggest advantage. I have like 400 amp and cab combos, but need to build all my effects from scratch. I am cool with that, let's help each other build a huge effects library! Joe

So I imagine you might have better receptivity with the forum owners/managers if you posed the question a little differently perhaps.

Instead of asking "why not", you'd likely be perceived a little more positively if you kindly asked for it in a constructive and encouraging manner, articulating the benefits to the community, of focus on effects by FAS and the members here (as you are doing in your posts). Make the case, perhaps be willing to help in some manner (as many here do of their own initiative).

The title just needs tweaking bro. I’d change the “tone” a little to get more receptivity rather than looking at what’s not here, to what could be here and how awesome it would be for the community.

As I stated I primarily bought my axe for the effects, how they are managed and the crazy flexibility. If we could focus on effects blocks like we do with amps, it would be incredible. (The amps are so good now!)

Perhaps by me being new, I’ve missed the history of effects here at FAS so I may not fully understand FAS rationale for their position of supporting these key effects features.

I’m 100% behind the idea of a sub-forum dedicated to (and exchanging) FX blocks that emulate famous stomp boxes, racks in classic configs. We have some of that already, but more is mo’ betta IMO.

I'd love having a separate section just for effects, because even with the search function, it's hard to find certain effect types you want to try and emulate.

I think a separate forum would encourage more people to try and emulate certain pedals that don't come default in the axe like say, the boss BF-2 flanger, boss VB-2 vibrato, or even an ehx small clone chorus.

A block exchange would also be great for sharing effects and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom