Why no discount for badly scratched and rusted guitars?

Best one I've seen is where a guy took an Ibanez RG and hacked the body up in the shape of a strandberg. Looked like he used a handsaw. Nothing square and painted rough sawed. Advertised as "one of a kind". Wanted top dollar.

I think relic'd guitars should all come with a big discount. Like acid-wash or pre-ripped Levi's. I know it's a taste thing, but I kind of have an irrational dislike for false cred. Also I like a quality instrument to look like a quality instrument, and for the wear and tear to be added slowly, by me, over many years of use. But I tend to look after things, so even my 18 year old gigged PRS, which has a few small dings, is still basically in excellent condition, and my '88 Jap Squier Strat, that gigged solid for 20 odd years, still looks great unless you're up real close. But that's just me.

How's it not the same? It's something that was done at an upcharge.
Boutique brands at least sometimes provide other benefits besides the name and meaningless bling. If you mean meaningless upcharge features on boutique orders, yeah, agreed.

It is what it is, love it or hate it.. very polarizing. All the Friedman stuff is beat up, I don't think he makes an fresh one anymore. I have a roadworn mexi strat that is great, very light and feels broken in, and cost me all of $600.

That's why there are so many options, don't like it? go buy a different guitar.

My mom owned a custom furniture company. They used to do distressing, which was basically a relic job. The guys in the shop used to take turns being allowed to be the ones to GET PAID to beat furniture up with a chain. We could have marketed it as stress release and charged money for people to do it for us.

At least he did it with his own sweat
There's another story that goes: it was stolen then found in a ditch all beat up a week later. I tend to believe that story, because if you look at old pictures of it, the wear appeared on the guitar somewhat suddenly.

I think relic'd guitars should all come with a big discount. Like acid-wash or pre-ripped Levi's. I know it's a taste thing, but I kind of have an irrational dislike for false cred. Also I like a quality instrument to look like a quality instrument, and for the wear and tear to be added slowly, by me, over many years of use. But I tend to look after things, so even my 18 year old gigged PRS, which has a few small dings, is still basically in excellent condition, and my '88 Jap Squier Strat, that gigged solid for 20 odd years, still looks great unless you're up real close. But that's just me.
Except that Levi's typically charges more for those jeans...

Boutique brands at least sometimes provide other benefits besides the name and meaningless bling. If you mean meaningless upcharge features on boutique orders, yeah, agreed.

So what about boutique brands that dont actually cut their own lumber into bodies and necks? Worth the upcharge (relic'd or not) over a production model with the same specs?

To some people, yes.

Warning: this may irk some people - keep it civil.

On the subject of guitar finishes:
I was watching guitar max on youtube review a sawtooth guitar the other day. He said it's got a "textured" white finish. I about fell out of my chair. Its called "ORANGE PEEL". LOL. Boy old Micheal Angelo Batio sure is pushing that chinese junk too isn't he?

My take on it is that I think vintage guitars are cool. I love the way they look, I like hearing their stories, I'm interested in the lore of the early days at Fender.

I also have an interest in retiring some day, so I probably won't be dropping 5 or 6 figures to actually own one. So, the idea of spending a (somewhat) more reasonable amount to get the custom shop's take on the best qualities of a vintage instrument (yes, including relicing to get the aesthetic) has some appeal to me. Nothing to do with wanting to impress people. Just a nerd that thinks old guitars are cool but can't afford a real one.

That said, I'm a happy owner of an American Std Tele and may never actually buy a custom shop 😂

EDIT: meant to throw out the disclaimer that I'm not claiming vintage guitars are inherently better. I've just always been interested in them and think they are neat is all

Last edited:
no one is trying to buy fake cred, they just like the way it looks. you also don't have to worry about them getting banged up, they're already there.
Good point! Every nice thing I buy gets a ding in the first few weeks...its the ding that hurts the most but probably also teaches me not to be too precious about "stuff". Relic gear would solve that problem I guess!

i feel the best way to relic or distress any guitar is due it through years of playing and banging it out on that ax ...any purchased relic guitars are just somethimg people put on stands or walls to say they own a "relic"...make those wear marks yourself for the love of playing that guitar or bass...each dent, scratch, or chip may have a cool story to go with it

i feel the best way to relic or distress any guitar is due it through years of playing and banging it out on that ax ...any purchased relic guitars are just somethimg people put on stands or walls to say they own a "relic"...make those wear marks yourself for the love of playing that guitar or bass...each dent, scratch, or chip may have a cool story to go with it
It's always interesting to see everyone else's take on why someone else is purchasing what they do. So far none of the reasons expressed in here in regards to why people purchase relic'd instruments has applied to why I chose a Nash. Or anyone I know who has also happened to purchase an aged guitar for that matter.

9/10 it's simply because "it looks cool!" Or in my case, because it was a custom made Telecaster for $2k and there was no option for non-aged lol. And yeah, I also thought it looked cool :)

But I do plan to hop on YouTube and pretend I put all the wear and tear on it touring!! :p

Budda - you're correct. It's not any different. If there's one thing that's been crystal clear in the 30+ years I have been playing/purchasing guitars it's that people will find a million different justifications why it's worth spending extra on something they really want.

I wish they developed a finish that fades fast or scratches easily.
So you'd be actually have the ability to relic it yourself just by playing it.
The polyurethane finish is hard as a rock and won't thin out unless you play with wristbands of sandpaper.

Back
Top Bottom