Why no discount for badly scratched and rusted guitars?

Piing

Axe-Master
I was browsing the local second hand offers, and I came to a Fender Strat selling for $2,600. When I saw the pictures I thought: "What a moron! How can he sell this garbage at this price?"

180148452_4727230947303319_8850865115652078290_n.jpg

Then I noticed the word "relic" at the description šŸ˜‚

"Fender Custom Shop MVP Limited Edition run 1956 Stratocaster Relic ąø›ąøµ 2014"

I had to make a big discount to the last guitar that I sold because it had some small scratches. I should had labeled it as "organic relic", and sell it more expensive than a new one :cool:

Last edited:
Just saw a "relic" mexican charvel listed on my local craigslist for 1700. Absolutely insane. Why not just buy a new one, leave it outside for a year, drag it behind your car, then shoot some clear on it? Save some money šŸ’²

I am wondering if the oxidation at the metal parts is real oxide, or some innocuous dust. If it is really rust, they should include a TETANUS WARNING label.

I purchased a new set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot, and it was really disgusting. It took me a while to clean all that nasty rust powder from the magnets and the screws.

Insert "if you pay extra for (insert boutique brand/upcharge item here) you are a moron" here.

Guess i'll sell my expensive guitars and get some squiers. why would I pay more for fancy woods anyway.
Uh, not the same. Though you may still be right ;)

It's an aesthetic that, like every other aspect of guitars really, either appeals to you or it doesn't. To me it's no different than a graphic finish on a guitar. And just like graphic guitars, sometimes they're tastefully done and other times they look like a "My First Airbrush" project. I'm not gonna suggest it's a waste of money or someone is a moron, though. Buy what you like!

My father got one of the first SRV replica's they did around 2004. Whatever they did the neck on it felt amazing. He wound up selling it a decade or so after he got it for 300% profit lol.

I dislike the relic thing. Feels like people trying to buy "cred".

Buy what you like!
I agree with both of these.

The aesthetic of a road worn guitar is different from a nice finish or wood. Itā€™s like an old man coloring his hair. It doesnā€™t look young, it looks fake-young. Iā€™d love to have my old pure black hair still, but Iā€™m 61 and itā€™s salt-and-pepper. Thatā€™s what it really is. I donā€™t color it because I donā€™t need to be anyone but me. A ā€œrelicā€™edā€ guitar is a guitar that is first finished like normal guitars, then given fake ā€wearā€ to make it (and presumably its player) look like the veteran of many a hard nightā€™s gigging. Itā€™s dying a young manā€™s hair gray! Just looks like wannabe cover up to my eyes, and I donā€™t dig it at all.

But, as @Morphine points out, Iā€™m not paying for it or playing it. So why should I care, right? Truthfully, I donā€™t, and itā€™s just another opinion. Make yourself happy, and buy what you want. šŸ˜Š

Who knew? Iā€™m not looking older. Iā€™m relicā€™ed!

That's right. We should be happy when others are happy with their choices.

My point is that it is frustrating that we have to reduce the price of our guitars that have a genuine relic.

And I really felt shocked when I saw the price that this guy was asking for that scratched Fender, until I saw the relic label. I couldn't imagine that a relic could be so nasty and artificial

Funny enough, I recently ordered a Nash Telecaster (mainly cause price wise it wound up being the best bang for the buck for what I wanted) and it comes aged. First relic'd or aged guitar I have ever purchased. I dig the lightly aged look as it just looks like a cool old used guitar. The heavy aged that looks like it was an extra on Pirates of The Caribbean isn't really my thing. Should be here in a couple of months. My street cred should get up a few points ;)

Funny enough, I recently ordered a Nash Telecaster (mainly cause price wise it wound up being the best bang for the buck for what I wanted) and it comes aged. First relic'd or aged guitar I have ever purchased. I dig the lightly aged look as it just looks like a cool old used guitar. The heavy aged that looks like it was an extra on Pirates of The Caribbean isn't really my thing. Should be here in a couple of months. My street cred should get up a few points ;)

You are lucky, because no matter how bad you treat it, the buyer cannot ask a discount for the scratches, if you ever decide to sell it :D

Back
Top Bottom