Why No Authentic Tab For Effects Types??

If needed... reset the block and use only the controls the real pedal has. The fundamental tone starts there.
I don't really have any desire for an Authentic page, but your idea doesn't really work, either.

Many pedals may have a single knob that actually affects multiple parameters, or they may have a knob (label) that doesn't exist in the Axe Fx...

Last edited:
Thanks! I guess I am just thinking that in the Amp Block there is an Ideal Tab and an Authentic Tab.
Having the Authentic Tab doesn't take anything away from the deeper parameters. I am not proposing
an either/or scenario --- nowhere near anything like some are insinuating. Why not both? A simple and
straightforward Authentic Tab that mimics what we would see on the front panel of a Deluxe Memory Man,
or a Phase 90, or a Univibe, while also still keeping open ALL of the other parameters on another Tab.
Again, though, how does "authentic" work for a "generic" type? There's no (specific) "real" pedal...

Last edited:
Again, though, how does "ideal" work for a "generic" type? There's no (specific) "real" pedal...
I think you mean "authentic". "Ideal" is the "all controls" option.

I already outlined the options that would work in my mind in post #11

"Generic" effects would default to a control set that contains the most commonly used parameters for that type. I don't think e.g the current phaser options need any work in this regard. But many more specific effects could benefit from simplified control sets or controls that do "common" things like add a nice sounding modulation to a delay or reverb without working a full blown LFO.

"Generic" effects would default to a control set that contains the most commonly used parameters for that type. I don't think e.g the current phaser options need any work in this regard. But many more specific effects could benefit from simplified control sets or controls that do "common" things like add a nice sounding modulation to a delay or reverb without working a full blown LFO.
Yes, I did mean "authentic"... I'll correct my post(s).

I could see your idea as a compromise, but for a generic effect type what defines the "common"?

I guess another approach would be to have authentic for modeled effects and leave the generic as-is...

I could see your idea as a compromise, but for a generic effect type what defines the "common"?

I guess another approach would be to have authentic for modeled effects and leave the generic as-is...
I noticed the FAS amp models have 2 different pages. Something like that perhaps...?

Yeah I think it needs to be a case by case thing. But I would look at pedals for what is "common", even if some specific pedal is not the model. As an example, the drive models for the most part already have a "simplified" view with only the knobs you find on the real pedal or a typical overdrive, then further pages with more options.

You can look at various pedals for "what is common". Even though there's everything from one knob to half a dozen knob models, somewhere in between are the control sets you would find on most and you could expand that a little bit since digital does not have the limit of physical size for controls.

I noticed the FAS amp models have 2 different pages. Something like that perhaps...?

Yeah I think it needs to be a case by case thing. But I would look at pedals for what is "common", even if some specific pedal is not the model. As an example, the drive models for the most part already have a "simplified" view with only the knobs you find on the real pedal or a typical overdrive, then further pages with more options.

You can look at various pedals for "what is common". Even though there's everything from one knob to half a dozen knob models, somewhere in between are the control sets you would find on most and you could expand that a little bit since digital does not have the limit of physical size for controls.
Yeah... I think both you guys are on the right track if this was to happen.

I can see why the question was brought up. It would be nice for a 2 knob Keeley compressor with authentic controls, but I personally have no need for authentic effects controls for every effect.

The effects controls in the Axe FXIII are laid out very logically and work great as they are to me.

Last edited:
I'll be the first to admit that I rarely use any of the effects because the number of parameters is intimidating and I can't always hear exactly what a particular tweak is doing. I'm also not always familiar enough with parameters or the LFO sections to know how much of a tweak I need to do in order to affect the change in the effect. To this day I still have no idea why there are multiple feedback knobs in the delay block (I know, I know, RTFM...).

I stand by OP; I think an authentic tab would be wonderful. As it stands now, if I need a rotary sound, I pop in the block and just accept that the default settings are about as good as I'm going to get. But this also would go hand-in-hand with my my wish for "presets" (or whatever they would be called) in each effect block, much like certain delays have "type," where each "type" is essentially just a combination of settings, not to be confused with the blocks that have "type" where each "type" is an entirely different topology.

The long and the short of it is that easier access to great sounds is a win/win for everyone no matter how you look at it (well, I suppose except for the people who like that the UI and deep parameters scare some people off from the unit altogether, keeping us as a bit of an exclusive club to one degree or another...).

I don't think anyone's asking for skeumorphism; but if I pull up a Carbon Copy, it'd be nice to just see three knobs and a switch for modulation on an "Authentic" tab. If I want to go further, then I can, but I don't have to.

Last edited:

I think the Phaser options could be simplifed. To one. :) Not taking away what is there currently, just
adding a Tab to go a simpler route---an Authentic one, like in the Amp Block.

Also, if say, a Delay in the Delay Block is modeled after a Deluxe Memory Man, then why not
just have the 5 controls that the pedal itself has? That same logic could be applied to other
effects that are modeled/based on pedals and rack units.

Unless I am not seeing/reading something correctly---all I am suggesting is quite literally what is
already being done in the Amp Block. Just apply the same methodology to the Effects Blocks when
and where applicable.

Again, though, how does "authentic" work for a "generic" type? There's no (specific) "real" pedal...

Is a Script.... or Block.... or Stripe.... Phase 90 a "generic" type? Or a specific type?

From what I can see, many (though not all) of Effects are based on an actual instance of an actual
pedal (or rack unit). Therefore, actual controls from the actual pedal (or rack unit) in an Actual Tab
would be awesome to have. Not essential, but pretty dang cool.

Sigh. There is always google and reading the manual; it’s disappointing and disheartening when new users request simpler controls because they’re unwilling to figure it out and fill in their own knowledge gaps.

I, for one, don’t want to lose functionality to cater to users who want everything done for them.
Sigh. Maybe, when people are playing guitar and trying to be, you know; creative...THEY DON'T WANT TO READ A MANUAL.

My god we spend all day trudging away. Sometimes you just want to fire up something up, twist a few knobs and rawk. Is that so hard to understand? Sigh indeed.

Nothing against the amazing control available for effects. I'm a geek, and having that kind of unprecedented control over things is great. The thing is, I'm kind of an idiot about a lot of this stuff. I can look at a tube screamer or a Boss SD-1 and figure out what I'm doing and dial in a pretty quick tone. With the III, I'm really dependent on downloading other people's presets, trying to figure things out, YouTube videos, the manual, etc.

If I have time, a deep dive can be a lot of fun. Other times I just want to play, and it would be cool if there was something simpler to access. I know it's an assload of work to do though, and with probably an insane list of things that are being worked on, that are probably more important, I'd hate to see time spent on it.

It would be cool if there was a way to crowdsource it. Like a settings page that was user customizable, and some way a knob rotation could be set up to sweep through other values. Too many variables to track in some cases I'm sure, but then someone that wanted to, could spend the time to simulate an HM-2 for example, and post it for others to download. Maybe not from the front panel. I'm just blabbing.

A lot of effects pedals are actually a combination of things, e.g. a compressor/drive/phaser/delay/reverb they call a "titan" or whatever dumb millenial sounding name 😅 I think thats the main reason you dont see a lot of what is being asked here.

Is a Script.... or Block.... or Stripe.... Phase 90 a "generic" type? Or a specific type?

From what I can see, many (though not all) of Effects are based on an actual instance of an actual
pedal (or rack unit). Therefore, actual controls from the actual pedal (or rack unit) in an Actual Tab
would be awesome to have. Not essential, but pretty dang cool.
Those are models of specific pedals...

Whether a particular block has only models, some models or no models is dependent on the particular block. I've made no attempt to catalog those details, but my "feel" based on using these units for a long time is that aside from Amp and Drive blocks, most effect blocks are not "model" based.

I do see the benefit even though in most cases I don't see a need.

I might change my mind if it was implemented, though. I didn't think I'd care about Authentic mode on the Amp block before that existed but I very rarely go to the Ideal page anymore ;)

Back
Top Bottom