Why Musicman Guitars?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I love Musicman guitars. I think they look amazing and have unique designs that don't look crazy, have 2nd to none build quality, and are priced fair. But why are their colors so limited? Take the Axis model....all flame and quilt. No solid black or white? Even the colors for the flame and quilt are dismal. I could also rant on the choice they make to almost 100% make the guitars in nut widths of 1 5/8 with very few being 1 11/16. They have no custom shop(unless you are Bonamassa) and won't license their stuff, like Fender, to the likes of Warmoth. They can do what they want and not the end of the world.....but wish it were different.....

Im on the same page with the colour choice. Albert Lee HH model just recently grown on me and I wish I could get one in a different colour like that limited red for GC few years back. Or Silo with birdeye neck... they just dont care much for this model any more.

Better ask big poppa sterling directly through their forum :)
I play only music man jp since 2003 and I love those guitars like crazy.
Viva music man

I have a thing for the JP guitars, but can't stand the colors on most of them. For the price of something like a JP15, you'd think you could get a few more colors. I could buy a similar priced Les Paul in many different colors. Same with Suhr, PRS, etc. You get black. With another, you get a speckly black. With this one, you get green. Or blue, if you got the special edition of it.

I even kind of like the Mystic Dream paint, although it kind of looks like an 18yos Honda Civic, but from what I can tell, it was only on the JP6, and only certain years.

I have a thing for the JP guitars, but can't stand the colors on most of them. For the price of something like a JP15, you'd think you could get a few more colors. I could buy a similar priced Les Paul in many different colors. Same with Suhr, PRS, etc. You get black. With another, you get a speckly black. With this one, you get green. Or blue, if you got the special edition of it.

I even kind of like the Mystic Dream paint, although it kind of looks like an 18yos Honda Civic, but from what I can tell, it was only on the JP6, and only certain years.

I don't want per say a truly custom EB guitar. But just the ability to pick an array of colors for any model. That is easy enough with automation.

I could even live with the limited colours, but a nut width of 1 5/8 or even less makes most of their necks too small for me. I prefer 1 11/16, so only the JPs are for me. Too bad.

Honestly, when I check music man's official forum and see the number of limited runs, BFRs, customs etc, I don't think it's soooo limited.

Plus there was a post from the big boss explaining that guitar shops were a pain in the ass concerning number of colors available and orders, so it's a thought thing :)

Well first of all, Music Man creates some of the highest quality products out there. Especially when it comes to playability, you almost have to learn riffs again when going back to "regular guitars". I would much rather have the designs than some custom colors. That being said... yesterday we finished building our own custom Music Man, Blackmachine, Suhr, Mayones type thing. So this way I could get the fully natural finish on a Petrucci type body. :D

Just a couple of weeks ago the luthier also finished a Music Man style bass that I'm sloppily slapping here:

So my answer to you is: Just build your own. Easy.

Honestly, when I check music man's official forum and see the number of limited runs, BFRs, customs etc, I don't think it's soooo limited.

Plus there was a post from the big boss explaining that guitar shops were a pain in the ass concerning number of colors available and orders, so it's a thought thing :)

Okay, screw guitar shops. Let me custom order one. Even if I have to wait a month or two for it.

Im on the same page with the colour choice. Albert Lee HH model just recently grown on me and I wish I could get one in a different colour like that limited red for GC few years back. Or Silo with birdeye neck... they just dont care much for this model any more.

28.jpg

Albert Lee HH in Orange Crush Sparkle - https://www.music-man.com/bfr/august-2018

So my answer to you is: Just build your own. Easy.

I LOVE building my own guitars. I'm building a Stingray bass with a Peavey headstock for a friend of mine. And I think I will build one for me as well. I wouldn't mind building a Music Man guitar too, but what is the most iconic Music Man guitar?

Back
Top Bottom