Why isn't there an "Amp in the room" IR?

You're never going to get a full-range monitor to sound like an amp in the room regardless of the IR used. One reason for this is dispersion. A traditional guitar cabinet has a beam pattern that decreases with increasing frequency. This means less high frequencies when listening off-axis. A full-range monitor will have more highs. Now some will argue that if you capture the traditional cab off-axis in the far field then you'll get the same thing but you won't because the monitor is not interacting with the environment in the same way. The traditional cab will send less frequency content to off-axis which is then reflected off the floor, walls and ceiling. The monitor will send more highs off-axis that are reflected. Our hearing relies a LOT on the spatial cues of reflection and the reflections will not be the same.

Compound the above with the fact that 99.9% of IRs are near field captures which sound nothing like the far field.

I believe trying to get a monitor to do amp in the room is a lesson in futility. If you really want that sound use a traditional guitar cab.

Our hearing technically relies on both spectral cues aka the "pinna effect" in addition to spacial cues resulting from inter-aural time and intensity differences between ears, which allow us to localize sounds, receive the benefits of binaural summation, and also the "selective listening" binaural squelch effect

Takes me back to my grad school days having to write several pages on subjects like this for exams lol

I capture ir's with a PZM blended in.

You can see if that floats your boat as far as FRFR "Amp in the room" experience.

Check out the samples page on my site for my demos to see how they record:
https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/shop/

Do all of your Ir's have the PZM blended in? Even the .99 trial pack? I'm going to download that one today and check it out and was curious if that one and all your others use the PZM. Thanks!

Do all of your Ir's have the PZM blended in? Even the .99 trial pack? I'm going to download that one today and check it out and was curious if that one and all your others use the PZM. Thanks!
All of my HypeReal mixes have PZM blended mixes and single PZM shots so that you can make your own mixes.

All my cab packs feature some HypeReal mixes. Please click on the pull down menus and clickable tabs on my site for more info.

It's part of why I commercially started making cab packs, because no other IR producer was offering mixes with this technique.

All of my HypeReal mixes have PZM blended mixes and single PZM shots so that you can make your own mixes.

All my cab packs feature some HypeReal mixes. Please click on the pull down menus and clickable tabs on my site for more info.

It's part of why I commercially started making cab packs, because no other IR producer was offering mixes with this technique.

Awesome! I've heard great things about your IR's and I am looking forward to trying em' out!

Back
Top Bottom